Little cheescakes with no cheese

jhan, Dec 30, 4:07am
I don't know if I've got these labelled correctly. They have two layers and have no cheese in them and are cooked in patty tins.

Does anyone have a recipe!

olwen, Dec 30, 4:13am
They are called welsh cheesecakes.We used a deepish tin, pastry at the bottom (could be bought flaky) a spoonful of jam and a cakey mix in them.

Here is one recipe.I might have a look in my books later.

http://theenglishkitchen.blogspot.co.nz/2011/03/welsh-cheesecakes.html

connor2003, Dec 30, 4:14am
Cheese Cakes
175g flaky pastry; 2 eggs; 150g flour; raspberry jam; 1 tsp baking powder; 125g butter; 125g sugar
Cream butter and sugar. Beat eggs and add alternately with sifted flour and baking powder. Roll out pastry and line about 21 patty tins. Put 1 tsp of jam in the bottom of each then a large spoonful of cake mixture on top. Place a small piece of pastry on top. Bake about 20 minutes at 200C.

jhan, Dec 30, 4:18am
Thanks. I wasn't going crazy after all. When you put cheesecakes into the google search engine you only get the usual cheesecakes.

harrislucinda, Dec 30, 4:33am
andtherunneruponmasterchefnzZAK!//shemade themand called them spongecakes
butthey are calledcheese=cakesin theedmondscookbook

sarahb5, Dec 31, 3:33am
They were just called cheesecakes when I was a child growing up in the UK and were topped with white glace icing and coconut threads.I think originally the cake mixture may have used cheese curds which would be how they got the name.

letitia, Dec 31, 4:19am
My mother used to make these in the 1950s and 60s.I always wondered why they were called cheesecakes when there was no cheese in them - just pastry bases filled with vanilla sponge.Very yummy!

donna23, Dec 31, 7:01am
The Edmonds Cook Book has a delicious,easy recipe for the little cakes with pastry bottom you are talking about

nzhel, Dec 31, 9:28am
My mum made these all the time when I was a child and we loved them. Especially nice with damson jam in the middle.