Jelly - cold water variety?

logo, Jan 3, 10:24pm
As someone else mentioned - Reduced to Clear had them for sale not long ago but i think they're sold out.

I always found the texture of the cold watre jellies to be a little odd - a bit lumpy. I found it also wasn't as firm as the gelatine based ones as well.

jules172, Jan 5, 3:55am
Hansells make jelly's that use half hot water and half cold, takes 4 hours to set though (better than overnight like Greggs)
in sachets not box

pickles7, Jan 6, 8:14pm
You can do that with any jelly. Dissolve the crystals in hot water then add cold.

bella430, Dec 22, 10:18am
I am about to make trifle from Simon & Alison Holst's "Kiwi Favourites" book. They list " Jelly - the cold water variety." Does anyone know where you can get this jelly! I have checked in Countdown - none there.

cgvl, Dec 22, 10:21am
haven't seen it for awhile. Its really handy sets so quick, like in minutes

245sam, Dec 22, 12:16pm
Am I right in thinking those jellies were a Gregg's product!If so I have checked Gregg's website and there is no lisiting for them under their Dessert Products, so maybe it was found that they weren't popular enough all year round but IMO would be an excellent option for this time of the year with Christmas, summer and camping.

Sorry bella430, I can't help you more than that.:-))

ngacooky, Dec 22, 7:28pm
i have been looking for itfor ages as well and have come to the conclusion that they dont make/sell it any more

pickles7, Dec 22, 8:00pm
Probably did not sell enough because hardly any supermarkets stocked it. I t was always hard to find. Very nice jelly all the same. Poor marketing! most who used it liked the product.

brisgirl, Dec 22, 11:27pm
Was discontinued 12 months ago, real pain because it was a good one for kids to do without worrying about burns from hot water.

pickles7, Dec 23, 2:38am
My husband thinks he has seen it in Countdown here in Hastings. I cannot say I have noticed . I still have two pkts in my pantry so have not looked.

bella430, Dec 23, 11:43am
pickles7. what brand are those two packets please!

vinee, Dec 23, 8:29pm
Sounds interesting. Maybe if they marketed it as vegetarian it would have done better.

cfar, Dec 23, 9:23pm
We got some about 6 weeks ago at reduced to Clear Shop. None left in Rotorua now.

tramore, Dec 23, 9:26pm
i got some in the Reduced to clear shop or it might have been the Surplus Direct shop here in Whangarei but when I tried it I found it didn't set.Don't know why.

pickles7, Dec 23, 9:27pm
Gregg's, they are in very bright sachets, not in a box like other jellies.

pickles7, Dec 23, 9:31pm
yes, I put it down to very poor marketing. I had noticed a lot of folk who come in here did know it was ever available.

vinee, Dec 25, 10:33pm
I was thinking if they did marketed it as vego it might put off some people - they'll be like " well if that's vego, what's the normal stuff.It's made out of WHAT!" EW
haha
(I'd never heard of it)

cgvl, Dec 26, 8:01am
245sam, yes it was/is great for camping as no need to refrigerate. I found it a bit sweet for me but again great when in a hurry and especially in this heat when you dont wnat a lot to eat.

kuaka, Dec 26, 8:32am
Sorry to butt in to this thread, but I recall going as a mother help to a girl guide camp many years ago and being told that "if you are planning on making a jelly and setting it by putting it in the creek, please remember to put a lid on the container, as last year this wasn't done and next morning we found a frog set in the jelly".Almost enough to put me off jelly for life!

macb, Dec 26, 8:35am
Product was called Greggs Jelly Time Jelly.I emailed Greggs prior to Christmas as it is great for Vodka Jellies and they told me that they no longer sell it.

threecheers, Dec 26, 8:57am
If you only need it for a trifle ( not camping) use regular jelly. Follow the recipe with the hot water and then add6 ice cubes. Stir until melted, and then refrigerate. Should be set and ready to use in less than an hour. (This is the "speed-set" method on American style Jello.) If you are using the large box of jelly you will need to double the ice cubes. Cheers!