Xmas day dessert sampler.

Page 1 / 2
littlemiss20, Dec 16, 7:51am
I am thinking of making a big sampler of mini desserts for Xmas day - hit me with your clever ideas or recipes - thanks

uli, Dec 16, 7:52am
Sounds like a lot of work .

rosiemoodle, Dec 16, 7:52am
chocolate brownies with whipped cream and fresh raspberries.my 16 yr old son made this for us tonight was delish!

rosiemoodle, Dec 16, 7:54am
I did a platter for a 21st.coffee fudge slice,truffles,apricot slice,lamingtons. all done in rows looked great

littlemiss20, Dec 16, 8:08am
Its the only thing I have to do this year so happy to spend a bit of time - so far, choc mousse in shot glasses, choc dipped cherries and strawberries, champange jelly, rum truffles .

nfh1, Dec 16, 8:11am
What a fantastic idea, sounds lovely - no ideas but wish I was a guest!

punkinthefirst, Dec 16, 8:35am
Fresh fruit.

245sam, Dec 16, 8:40am
Fruit and marshallow kebabs - Recently for a bring-a-plate supper someone had made small kebabs with fresh fruit (kiwifruit and strawberries) and marshmallows - with the green and red of the fruit + white marshmallows they looked lovely and Christmassy and were a really really popular item.:-))

rayoz, Dec 16, 8:51am
can you please share your recipe for coffee fudge slice !

cmjbp, Dec 16, 12:31pm
I recently made this.
http://www.chelsea.co.nz/baking-and-recipes/1327/coffee-walnut-fudge-slice.aspx
it was great!I didnt have the nuts so left them out.

cmjbp, Dec 16, 12:31pm
I recently made this.
http://www.chelsea.co.nz/baking-and-recipes/1327/coffee-walnut-fudge-slice.aspx
it was great!I didnt have the nuts so left them out.

motorbo, Dec 16, 1:13pm
nice.inject the cherries with a tiny bit of a liquer

gardie, Dec 16, 3:54pm
Saw a picture of blueberries on a skewer - novel way to make an expensive fruit go further (they were alongside strawberries drizzled with chocolate).You'd need the short skewers.

edlin, Dec 16, 5:44pm
I have made a trio of sorbets to go with fruit salad for those who are wanting a lighter option but also will havea big home made pav with raspberries and blueberries and a drizzle of white chocolate and a very light melt in mouth lemon cheesecake. Still deciding if I will make my popular chocolate mousse which could be presented in sherry glasses. Another option for a tasting platter would be profiteroles. As a change from chocolate truffles my family likes apricot balls

rosiemoodle, Dec 16, 6:18pm
Coffee Fudge Slice
160gms Butter
1 beaten Egg
1 C Sugar
1tsp instant coffee
1tsp Vanilla
Melt together then pour over a pkt crushed wine biscuits.
Spread into a lined tin and chill till set.
Can add sultanas or apricots.
Ice with coffee or chocolate icing.

rosiemoodle, Dec 16, 6:18pm
Coffee Fudge Slice
160gms Butter
1 beaten Egg
1 C Sugar
1desertspooninstant coffee
1tsp Vanilla
Melt together then pour over a pkt crushed wine biscuits.
Spread into a lined tin and chill till set.
Can add sultanas or apricots.
Ice with coffee or chocolate icing.

sarahb5, Dec 16, 9:38pm
We are having a whole meal of desserts on Christmas Eve!

Pavlova
Banoffee Pie
Self-saucing chocolate pudding
Yule log
Mince Pies

sue1955, Dec 16, 11:10pm
This reminded me of the 'dessert' I did last Christmas. I threaded mini marshmellows & blueberries onto those umbrellas you use to decorate drinks with. Really easy to do & look great.

elliehen, Dec 17, 12:07am
Brilliant idea!

Chocolate Fondant Puddings

With Delaney Mes

Chocolate Fondant Puddings

Time: 30 mins
Serves: 6 (using small ramekins)
Cost per serve: $2

Ingredients
200g dark chocolate (Whittaker's Dark Ghana is best)
150g butter
4 large eggs and 3 extra yolks
100g caster sugar
50g flour
Creme fraiche to serve

Method
Heat oven to 200 degrees. Grease ramekins and dust with flour and chill in the fridge until mixture is ready.
Chop chocolate roughly into chunks and melt together with the butter carefully in a bowl over a pot of simmering water.
Place eggs, yolks and sugar in a cake mixer and mix until mousse-like and doubled in size.
Fold in the chocolate mixture with a large metal spoon until mousse is smooth and slackened. Sift over the flour and fold again.
Pour into ramekins and bake for 12 mins until risen and set. The top will be cakey and the inside will be gooey.
Serve in the ramekin with a dollop of creme fraiche on top, and some fresh strawberries.

(Broadcast 15 October 2012)

bedazzledjewels, Dec 17, 1:55am
I'm not so sure about the fondants Ellie. They can become chocolate muffins in the blink of an eye! And after a few glasses Christmas bubbles they could turn into Christmas rock-cakes.

bedazzledjewels, Dec 17, 1:55am
I'm not so sure about the fondants Ellie. They can become chocolate muffins in the blink of an eye! And after a few glasses Christmas bubbles they could turn into chocolate rock-cakes.

wildflower, Dec 17, 2:40am
That's such a cool idea and very much Christmas themed.I love it.And not too heavy either.

daleaway, Dec 17, 3:21am
I do a large platter of "apres-ski" every year.
Some nuts, of course (brazils, cashews, pistachios), some home-made truffles (brandy, apricot), some prune truffles (thank you Jo Seagar), Turkish delight, figs, baby mince pies and shortbread. You can either make them well in advance or just open a packet for the figs and nuts etc. Nothing challenging, just Christmas treats.
Because by then we will already have had our Christmas pud and only need a nibble or two to see us through the rest of day.

rumpelstiltskin, Dec 17, 4:25am
Mini trifles are easy to assemble and look great. Also, little cream puffs with choc sauce drizzled over the top and perhaps a dollop of cream.

chooky, Dec 17, 5:00am
I did mini desserts last year and Im doing them again this year. Last year was mini xmas mince pies, mini bonafee pies, chocolate raspberry brownie, peanut butter truffles, jellys in shot glasses, truffle in shot glasses, choclate strawberries, I brought mini brandy cases and had ambrossa in them, jaffa mousse. This year so far I have made chocolate cups which need something in them, I have made ginger biscuits in the shape of stars to sit on the side of a shot glass that has lemon silk in it, mini xmas pies, young ones want volka shots this year, also made the base for mini cheesecakes. and also mini pav's. Its lots of fun and you get to try more things,.