Christmas Cake with Sultanas only please

minfo, Dec 6, 9:01am
Does anyone have a Christmas Cake recipe with sultanas only and perhaps a little brandy - No cherries, nuts or peel allowed due to a family member having food allergies with traditional mix fruit Christmas cake!

harrislucinda, Dec 6, 9:39am
yesjustmakeaplain sultanacakeand soakthe fruitinbrandy
icelikexmas cake

lilyfield, Dec 6, 7:40pm
Or use sultanas only equal weight to all the other usual dried fruits listed. No special recipe required

minfo, Dec 6, 9:01pm
There was a good sultana cake recipe with brandy added that I had while I was working in the UK, subsequently lost it and couldn't remember the quantities etc.

nauru, Dec 6, 10:26pm
There is one in AWW cakes book.I can post if you haven't got that book.

nauru, Dec 6, 10:26pm
This is one from AWW cakes book and makes a lovely cake.You could use fruit juice or some other liquer if you didn't want to use brandy.

Brandied Sultana Cake
750g sultanas
250g butter
1 cup caster sugar
5 eggs
21/2 cups plain flour
1/4 cup SR flour
1/4 cup brandy
Cover sultanas with warm water and stand 2 hours. Drain well and dry overnight on absorbent paper.Grease and line 23 cm round cake tin.Cream butter and sugar until combined. Add eggs quickly 1 at a time and beat until combined.Stir in half sifted flours with half brandy and half fruit and mix.Stir in rest of flour, brandy & fruit and mix well.Put into cake tin and bake @ 160-180C for 2 hours.Cover cake with foil and cool in tin

elliehen, Dec 6, 10:36pm
I really do recommend this Jo Seagar cake:

Farmhouse Sultana Cake

Ingredients

500 g sultanas
1/4 cup brandy or Whisky
250 g butter
1 cup sugar
5 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Method

Put sultanas in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes then drain. Place the sultanas in a bowl and pour the brandy or Whisky over the mixture. Leave to cool. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into bowl. Add sultana mixture and vanilla to egg mixture and combine. Add the sifted flour and fold into egg mixture. Pour into a greased and lined 20 cm square cake tin. Bake at 160°C for 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.

supanan4, Dec 7, 9:14am
This is the easiest moist and tastiest cake used for any ocassionMoist Fruit Cake

Nice and moist

1 cup sugar
1teasp baking soda
125 grams butter
500 grams Mixed Fruit or Sultanas
2 teasp mixed spice
425g tin of crushed pineapple

Place all above ingredients in saucepan, and slowly bring to boil - then boil for 3 minutes -stir regularly –
Remove from heat – cool completely

Then add the following:
Sift together -
2 cups of plain white flour
2 teap of Baking Powder

add – ½ cup Brandy or ½ cup fruit juice

Mix this into the cold fruit mixture with 2 beaten eggs

Place in a greased or Baking paper lined 8 inch tin, I often use a piece of newspaper under the baking paper.

Bake at 160c for approx 1 ½ hoursthen reduce to Mod slow over for a further 30 min.
Check cake is cooked when knife comes out clean.

I use this cake recipe for all occasions Xmas, Birthday, 21st, anniversary, it is so moist.Good Luck.

minfo, Dec 8, 11:03am
Thank you all so much for your wonderful recipes to choose from and advice. Cheers.