AWW Barbeque Cookbook

cookessentials, Dec 6, 8:13am
x1
Does anyone have a copy of this please! I am after the chicken satay recipe that is in there. From memory, the chicken pieces are marinateed in various things, including sour cream. If you have the book, I would really appreciate it if you could post that recipe for me. The cookbook is one of the soft cover ones like you buy at the supermarket

unknowndisorder, Dec 6, 10:10am
I've looked in all my AWW cookbooks and come up blank. You sure it has sour cream and not coconut milk! But sorry don't have the BBQ one to be sure what the ingredients are.

carlosjackal, Dec 6, 10:24am
I have 2 AWW Barbeque cookbooks: The Barbeque Cookbook and The Great Barbeque Cookbook and I can't see a recipe for Chicken Satay in either of them. Are you sure the recipe you are after is in the BBQ Cookbooks!

melford, Dec 6, 10:45am
I have an AWW BBQ Cookbook with Satay Chicken Kebabs but neither recipes have sour cream. Let me know if you want the recipes.

valentino, Dec 7, 1:31am
Most of the AWW recipes that I have, have Coconut milk or cream,

Below is the most common one

2 cm piece fresh ginger, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon curry powder (preferably Malaysian)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
¼ cup crunchy peanut butter
1 teaspoon chilli paste
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 cup coconut milk

METHOD

Process together the ginger, onion and garlic until fine.

In a pan on low heat, gently fry the onion mixture in oil for 3-4 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon. Add curry powder and soy sauce and stir well before adding peanut butter, sugar and chilli sauce.
Add coconut milk to peanut sauce and stir thoroughly until the sauce is smooth. Cook on low heat for 2 minutes.

valentino, Dec 7, 1:43am
Pam, Watch a Jamie Oliver's 30 minute cooking some time not too long ago, involves chicken kebabs with a satay dressing.He also did other part dishes in this segment but it was this recipe that caught my eye and how he did it.
I replicated this the other day and it was very nice, even the left over portion was used in in the following days either as a dressing over steamed veges like brocolli or par boiled veges.

He noted initially to line up the Chicken breasts next to each other and then insert skewers (wooden that were soaked in a bottle of white wine) through these breasts, then cut each full section in between the skewers, trimming the ends (outside bits in this case) and placing onto the skewers evenly, then with the knife scoring through the chicken to allow cooking more evenly, a very nice easy trick, interesting.

The recipe in part I used;
Satay
• 1/2 unit a small bunch of fresh coriander
• 1 unit fresh red chilli
• 1/2 unit a clove of garlic
• 3 unit heaped tablespoons good-quality crunchy peanut butter
• unit soy sauce
• unit a 2cm piece of fresh ginger
• 2 unit limes
Chicken
• 180 gram skinless chicken breasts
• unit runny honey, for drizzling

1. Get all your ingredients and equipment ready. Turn the grill on to full whack. Lay 4 wooden skewers in a tray of cold water to soak (if they float, use a plate to weight them down). Put the standard blade attachment into the food processor.
2. Put the coriander (stalks and all) into the food processor with the chilli (stalk removed), peeled garlic, 3 heaped tablespoons of peanut butter and a lug of soy sauce. Peel and roughly chop the ginger and add. Finely grate in the zest of both limes, then squeeze in the juice from 1 of them. Add a couple of splashes of water and whiz to a spoonable paste. Season to taste. Spoon half into a nice bowl and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, put the rest aside.
3. Line the chicken breasts up on a plastic board, alternating ends, and close together. Gently and carefully push the skewers through the breasts. Slice between the skewers to give you 4 kebabs. Thread any stray pieces on the ends of the skewers. To make the chicken crispier you can score it lightly on both sides. Scoop the rest of the satay mix from the processor into a roasting tray, add the chicken skewers and toss with your hands to coat, rubbing the flavour into the meat. Clear away the board and wash the knife and your hands. Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and season with salt. Put on the top shelf of the oven, under the grill, for about 8 to 10 minutes on each side, or until golden and cooked through.

8. Turn the skewers over, drizzle with a little runny honey and put back under the grill for 8 to 10 minutes.

I served the chicken with something else but that recipe worked a treat and was thoroughly enjoyed by a Bulgarian, 2 chinese and myself.

Cheers

valentino, Dec 7, 1:43am
Pam, Watch a Jamie Oliver's 30 minute cooking some time not too long ago, involves chicken kebabs with a satay dressing.He also did other part dishes in this segment but it was this recipe that caught my eye and how he did it.
I replicated this the other day and it was very nice, even the left over portion was used in in the following days either as a dressing over steamed veges like brocolli or par boiled veges.

He noted initially to line up the Chicken breasts next to each other and then insert skewers (wooden that were soaked in a bottle of white wine) through these breasts, then cut each full section in between the skewers, trimming the ends (outside bits in this case) and placing onto the skewers evenly, then with the knife scoring through the chicken to allow cooking more evenly, a very nice easy trick, interesting.

The recipe in part I used;
Satay
• 1/2 unit a small bunch of fresh coriander
• 1 unit fresh red chilli (I used a very large Red Chilli, got it from an Asian Store)
• 1/2 unit a clove of garlic
• 3 unit heaped tablespoons good-quality crunchy peanut butter
• unit soy sauce
• unit a 2cm piece of fresh ginger
• 2 unit limes
Chicken
• about 4 pieces of180 gram skinless chicken breasts
• unit runny honey, for drizzling

1. Get all your ingredients and equipment ready. Turn the grill on to full whack. Lay 4 wooden skewers in a tray of cold water to soak (if they float, use a plate to weight them down). Put the standard blade attachment into the food processor.
2. Put the coriander (stalks and all) into the food processor with the chilli (stalk removed), peeled garlic, 3 heaped tablespoons of peanut butter and a lug of soy sauce. Peel and roughly chop the ginger and add. Finely grate in the zest of both limes, then squeeze in the juice from 1 of them. Add a couple of splashes of water and whiz to a spoonable paste. Season to taste. Spoon half into a nice bowl and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, put the rest aside.
3. Line the chicken breasts up on a plastic board, alternating ends, and close together. Gently and carefully push the skewers through the breasts. Slice between the skewers to give you 4 kebabs. Thread any stray pieces on the ends of the skewers. To make the chicken crispier you can score it lightly on both sides. Scoop the rest of the satay mix from the processor into a roasting tray, add the chicken skewers and toss with your hands to coat, rubbing the flavour into the meat. Clear away the board and wash the knife and your hands. Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and season with salt. Put on the top shelf of the oven, under the grill, for about 8 to 10 minutes on each side, or until golden and cooked through.

8. Turn the skewers over, mix it into the satay again, drizzle with a little runny honey and put back under the grill for 8 to 10 minutes.

I served the chicken with something else but that recipe worked a treat and was thoroughly enjoyed by a Bulgarian, 2 chinese and myself.

Cheers

Editing to note that his use of a unit is simply "one" portion and where it noted 1/2 just did one if this makes sense.

cookessentials, Dec 7, 3:06am
I was sure it was in that one. Maybe I better have another look, it may be in one of the entertaining ones. I have the beef satay one, but need the chicken one to prepare these on 20th dec for DH's daughters wedding ( this is for the family bbq after the "garden party" for the masses.

cookessentials, Dec 7, 3:14am

kiwigal007, Dec 7, 3:17am

sandy14, Dec 7, 3:23am
x1
Doesn't have sour cream in it but this recipe is in my AWW Barbecue cook book :-
8 chicken thigh fillets
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 cup chicken stock
2 Tbsp dry sherry
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp lime or lemon juice
1 tsp grated green ginger
2 Tbsp honey
1 clove garlic crushed
1 onion finely chopped
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
dash of tabasco sauce
Cut chicken into 2.5cm wide strips. Combine remaining ingredients, add chicken, cover and refrigerate overnight.Remove chicken from mixture, place sauce in pan and simmer 15 minutes.Thread chicken onto skewers.Barbecue and serve with sauce.

valentino, Dec 7, 4:00am
Not ideal for the BBQ. Hmmm but kiwigal007 looks as though she has located a recipe for you her above link.

cookessentials, Dec 7, 9:17pm
Thanks guys, but sadly, it is neither of them. It uses breast meat and it is not served with peanut sauce. I am going to check out a couple of my entertaining books ( if I can find them!) as I have lots packed away somewhere.

firemansgirl, Dec 7, 9:48pm
Is this it! It does have sour cream in it. and is from AWW.

http://www.all-about-cooking.com/chicken/spicy_chicken_breast.htm

l0ne, Dec 7, 10:08pm
Yum firemansgirl that recipe looks tasty. Have copied it.

melford, Dec 7, 10:24pm
Cooks Is it this one from AWW!
1 cup tomato puree
1 clove garlic(crushed)
1 tsp sambal oelek
2 tsp paprika
2 tbsp olive oil,
1tsp ground cumin,
2 tbsp sour cream,
8 chicken drumsticks
Combuine puree, garlic, sambal oelek paprika oil and cumin and sour cream in bowl. Brush drumsticks all over with mixture. Grill turning frequently for 30 mins. Thought you could use this for chicken pieces

cookessentials, Dec 8, 5:52am
You are all so wonderfully helpful, thank you but sadly, no it is not overly spicy. I am going to have a ook through some boxes and see if I can find it. If I do, I will post it.

carlosjackal, Dec 8, 10:02am
I'm really intrigued!.Hope you can find it!

melford, Dec 9, 9:33am
2 onions, chopped
2 tablespoons oil
½ cup crunchy peanut butter
2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
¼ cup roasted unsalted peanuts
8 chicken drumsticks
1/3 cup sour cream

METHOD

Blend or process onions, oil, peanut butter, sauces and peanuts until combined. Place drumsticks on oven tray, brush with some of the satay mixture. Bake, uncovered, in moderate oven 10 minutes. Turn chicken, brush with a little more satay mixture, bake, uncovered, further 25 minutes or until drumsticks are browned and cooked through.

Combine remaining satay mixture and sour cream in pan, bring to boil. Serve drumsticks with satay sauce.

melford, Dec 9, 8:15pm
above recipe from old aww book