Storing a Christmas cake?

mustu, Dec 4, 10:05pm
I'm sure this has already been discussed but I couldn't find a thread when I searched. How best to store the Christmas cake! I have baked it and iced it with almond icing and royal icing and am planning to put it into a very large tupperware container. Should I wrap it in foil first! Or maybe gladwrap it! Or both! Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

lilyfield, Dec 4, 10:15pm
It will be fine In Tupperware in a dark place, no further wrapping required.

biggles45, Dec 4, 10:19pm
I had one go off in foil as it reacted with the fruit or something else in the cake. I now store it in the greaseproof it was baked in, inside a tupperware type box. I make holes in the top (with a knitting needle) to put brandy in, and turn it upside down to ice so the top is flat for icing.

roundtop, Dec 4, 10:47pm
cool dark cupboard on the tupperware

mustu, Dec 4, 10:58pm
Thanks! I used layers of brown paper in the baking tin, but don't want to get any brown crumbs on the white icing in storage so I'll just put it unwrapped in the tupperware. Too late now to ice the bottom - but hopefully the rather bumpy icing will not be too noticeable! I poked holes in when it came out of the oven and poured in some homemade blackberry liqueur.

arabelle, Dec 5, 6:26pm
I was always told not to store with icing on. but maybe that was to stop little fingers going to pantry.have always double wrapped in greaseproof paper thenfoil. esp for posting overseas.and its arrived in a good state.

cgvl, Dec 5, 8:59pm
our xmas cakes once iced were stored just on the bench or in a cupboard covered with a tea towel or old fashioned food cloth and they kept fine for the couple of weeks it took to eat them.
Just keep it in a cool place (cupboard or pantry) and it should be fine.
They only time I have ever wrapped a fruit cake in anything other than paper it has gone mouldy (both gladwrap and foil).