Gluten, dairy, yeast free bread

birdman3, Nov 25, 8:18pm
Does anyone know where I can buy gluten free dairy free yeast free bread in Auckland. Or at least a recipe so I can make my own. I've never made bread before though.

geldof, Nov 25, 8:26pm
If you like dark rye bread then this one is good.
Only makes a small loaf though.

Dark 'Rye' Bread

1 cup almond flour
3/4 cup golden flaxseed/linseed meal
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
3 eggs
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup water
1 tsp honey or agave nectar
1-2 tbsp caraway seeds

Bowl 1dry ingredients and mix well

Bowl 2 mix eggs, oil, water and honey.

Stir wet into dry then mix in seeds.Allow to sit/thicken 1-2minutes.
Bake at 180 deg C for 30-35 minutes
6.5" x 4" tin.

roshu, Nov 25, 8:26pm
Any decent supermarket in Auckland ought to have a good GF bread section. Certainly you could get yeast free GF wraps/flat bread, but you might find a genuine sourdough bread too.

vonkrum, Nov 25, 8:43pm
I too would like a yeast free, dairy free every day bread that I could make.Preferably not white bread.Something nice and grainy.

hesian, Nov 26, 6:54am
A friend makes this flat bread which she found on internet.I have tried it but am not as successful as her but still like it for a change now and then.I now make it in a loaf tin without soaking the grains using bought flours.I will give you the soaked grains version and then add at end what I do differently.It isnt like regular sliceable bread though.Pretty hard to do something bread like without yeast.

For 2 flat breads.

1 C uncooked long grain rice (pref brown, my friend uses white)
1 C whole uncooked millet
1 3/4 C water
1 D honey
1 D vinegar (apple cider preferred, I use white)
1/3 C ground flaxseed
3 T olive oil
1 1/2 t salt
1 D baking powder (g/f)

Put rice and millet in a bowl and cover with water.Soak overnight or 6 + hours.
Drain, rinse and blend.Add the other ingredients except baking powder.
When blended add this and process well. It should be like a thickish batter.

My friend uses two shallow tins.Cook 15 - 20 mins.Her recipe says at about 220 but I found that this seems a bit too hot. Might be my oven, it isnt the best. I put it on 200.

My blender isnt up to the job of blending the grains so I bought brown rice flour and ground millet.I found I didnt need quite as much water as the recipe says but if you add slowly you can see it blending in.I addeverything else and leave it a couple of hours.Then I bake in greasedcake tins.

This morning I made only a portion of the recipe and used my silicon muffin tray.Didnt leave to soak - just had nothing at breakfast time and it is quick to throw together and only left little muffins in about 10 mins at 180.Was a bit more crumbly and gritty than usual but nice warm with nut spread and marmalade.

I dont like using eggs in bread recipes which is why I persevere with this even though I seem to have days where it isnt as good as others.

birdman3, Nov 26, 10:01pm
Thanks guys, I'll give them a try. So desparate will try anything.