Lemon Cornflake Slice

bridget107, Nov 22, 10:59pm

cucine, Nov 23, 4:16am
Love it, got it, thank you.

kay141, Nov 23, 4:37am
It looks good but I'd like it better without the coconut.

rainrain1, Nov 23, 4:43am
yes i was thinking the same

rainrain1, Nov 23, 4:43am
yes i was thinking the same.but it still looks darn good to me :-)))

kay141, Nov 23, 4:50am
Perhaps we could increase the other dry ingredients. I really dislike the taste and smell of coconut but it seems to be everywhere from food to cosmetics.

wheelz, Nov 23, 6:23am
I'm off to make it now, with the coconut, love coconut, sweet and chewy. But I will add lemon zest to the base as well.

kay141, Nov 23, 6:26am
Each to their own.

wheelz, Nov 23, 7:01am
Well it's in the oven for the 2nd time! Had to whip it out, as I had forgotten to add the cornflakes, stoopid. as'cornflake' is in the title.

kamitchell, Nov 23, 7:16am
Please report back & tell us how it turned out, it looks yummy!

wheelz, Nov 23, 8:47am
Lovely ! Be making this one again !

toadfish, Nov 23, 4:43pm
Lemon Cornflake Slice
Makes 32 pieces
Base:
■100 g butter
■2 tbsp golden syrup
■¾ cup sugar
■¾ cup coconut
■1 cup cornflakes
■1 cup rolled oats
■¾ cup white plain flour
■1 ½ tsp baking powder

Lemon icing:
■2 tbsp butter
■1 cup icing sugar
■3 tbsp lemon zest
■2 tbsp lemon juice

Preheat oven to 180°C. In a large saucepan melt butter, golden syrup and sugar together. Add remaining ingredients, and blend well.

Press the mixture into a greased 20cm x 30cm slice pan and bake for 15-20 minutes. Once the slice has cooled to room temperature, ice.

For the icing, beat together butter and icing sugar until smooth. Blend in the lemon juice and lemon zest. Spread over the base.

Slice up when the icing has set and store in an air-tight container

toadfish, Nov 23, 4:45pm
There doesn't seem to be enough icing ingreidiants in that recipe to make it as thick and creamy as the photo.If you do ice it using the recipes icing please let me know how you get on. - 2 Tablespoons of butter and a cup of icing sugar just doesn't seem enough.

wheelz, Nov 23, 6:13pm
I doubled the icing sugar.

samsnan, Nov 25, 10:48pm
Made this yesterday morning and I would also add zest and may be a 1/2 tspn of ginger also to the base mix. One thing though dont cook your base any longer than the recipe says. I may have cooked mine a bit long cause when I went to cut it, it was very hard. Lovely slice though and will certainly be making it again

wheelz, Nov 25, 11:53pm
I love the hard base ! I would have been diassapointed if it was 'cakey'. Good idea with the ginger, must do that next time.

samsnan, Nov 26, 2:40am
wheelz there is hard and there is hard. I marked the lines on this with a wide bladed scraper thing that dh had in a cupboard. I pushed down hard to get through it but no go until dh bought a hammer in and bashed it down to cut through it. We both had a good laugh but I wont be cooking it too long ever again. Really yummy to eat though.