Best Shortbread recipe that can be rolled out

korban, Nov 20, 8:31pm
and cut into shapes.What is your best recipe please!

Thank you

korban, Nov 21, 3:37am
Anyone with a fab recipe they are willing to share - please and thank you

nauru, Nov 21, 3:44am
I usea recipe from my UK Bero book, I've C&P it from their websitewww.be-ro.co.uk

250 g (9 oz) Be-Ro Plain Flour
75 g (3 oz) caster sugar
175 g (6 oz) butter

1 Heat oven to 160ºC, 325ºF, Gas Mark 3. Grease a baking tray.
2 Mix flour and sugar in a bowl, rub in butter.
3 Knead well to form a smooth paste.
4 Divide into two equal parts, shape and flatten into 2 x 18 cm (7 inch) rounds, about 1 cm (½ inch) thick.
5 Mark top into 8 portions, decorate edges and prick with a fork. Place on baking tray and bake or 30 minutes until pale and golden.
N.B. A shortbread mould may be used. Mix together 1 x 5 ml spoon (1 tsp) of flour and 1 x 5 ml spoon (1 tsp.) of caster sugar. Grease the mould with oil and evenly sprinkle in half the mixture. Press shortbread into the mould and turn out onto a baking sheet before baking.

nauru, Nov 21, 3:44am
I always usea recipe from my UK Bero book which can be rolled out and cut into shapes.I've C&P it from their websitewww.be-ro.co.uk

250 g (9 oz) Be-Ro Plain Flour
75 g (3 oz) caster sugar
175 g (6 oz) butter

1 Heat oven to 160ºC, 325ºF, Gas Mark 3. Grease a baking tray.
2 Mix flour and sugar in a bowl, rub in butter.
3 Knead well to form a smooth paste.
4 Divide into two equal parts, shape and flatten into 2 x 18 cm (7 inch) rounds, about 1 cm (½ inch) thick.
5 Mark top into 8 portions, decorate edges and prick with a fork. Place on baking tray and bake or 30 minutes until pale and golden.
N.B. A shortbread mould may be used. Mix together 1 x 5 ml spoon (1 tsp) of flour and 1 x 5 ml spoon (1 tsp.) of caster sugar. Grease the mould with oil and evenly sprinkle in half the mixture. Press shortbread into the mould and turn out onto a baking sheet before baking.

korban, Nov 26, 3:45am
Thanks nauru

kinna54, Nov 26, 3:54am
I just use the Edmond for shortbread. secret is not to over handle, just lightly pat.
Another one that I use that is an absolute favourite with the grandies and stands up to a bit more handling is this Shrewsbury biccie one. awesome with cutters:
here you go:

Shrewsbury Biscuits*(adapted for making in the kitchen whizz)*

125g butter softened (or margarine)
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 TBSP grated lemon rind
2 cups flour
1tsp baking powder
Raspberry jam (to fill if desired)

Place butter and sugar in the whizz and cream together.
Add egg and lemon rind and whizz again to combine.
Add sifted flour and baking powder, using the machine on pulsewhile the mixture is combining.
Turn onto a floured board, kneadlightly and roll out to about 4mm thickness
Note: roll out part of the mix at a time, as it’s much easier to handle., and over handling can toughen the mixture.
Cut out desired shapes withcookie cutters.

Bake on greased oven trays at 180 deg. for 10-15mins.
When cold biscuits can either be sandwiched together with raspberry jam, with the top biscuit dusted with sifted icing sugar, or biscuits can be left single and dusted with sifted icing sugar.

If you don't have a whizz just cream the butter and sugar, add egg and rind, then dry ingredients. (I adapted it to the whizz to make it easier on my hands)

korban, Nov 26, 4:58am
Thanks kinna54

ange164, Nov 26, 5:02am
I use the edmonds one too, but I short change the butter a bit, I only use 200g, not 250.

pickles7, Nov 26, 6:12am
Shortbread .Large lot.
cream 500 grams of butter with 250 grams of icing sugar 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp salt. add 750 grams sifted flour in 3 lots. You can roll and cut into shapes, or I prefer to make cylinders of the mix, wrap in glad wrap, chill in fridge, and slice 1cm thick. put on tray and stamp with a floured pototoe masher, leaves a nice pattern. 150 deg c, untill cooked. Nice and keeps well.

bagpipes, Nov 26, 10:06am
Hi pickles7 - how many pieces do you think this large recipe of yours could make!Just looking to make alot of shortbread this year lol

mackenzie2, Nov 27, 5:50pm
Hi Bagpipes, I have an easy peasy cheats shortbread, that is lovely In to a food processer goes 150gms of softened butter, wizz for 10 seconds, add 75gms icing sugar, wizz again for 20 seconds, add 75gms of cornflour wizz again for 20 seconds, then add 150 gms plain white flour wizz till combined, now onto a flouredsurface, at this stage you can add anything you like (choc chips, nuts etc) Roll out and cut into shapes, bake at 150 until firm when touched, I like to make christmas shortbread with this receipe, Tastes lovely, easy to make, enjoy

mackenzie2, Nov 27, 5:52pm
Forgot to say, easy to make more or less receipe is easy to adapt same amount of butter and flour and half sugar and cornflour. This is my Grandmothers receipe and I have never had a failure with it. Some times I also roll it is a log and then roll the log in crushed pistachios nuts then cut, tastes wonderful and looks great.