Picton people-re cafe

korbo, Nov 13, 3:10am
A few weeks ago, we had lunch at a cafe in Picton. I cant recall the name of it, but it was beside a bookshop, that had heaps of books on the pavement.
The food and counter was at the end of the shop.
NOW.I had the most delicous *KUMERA ROLL UP*thing.
it had mashed kumera, smoked chicken and bacon on the outside.
I am wondering how it was made.
If anyone can find out for me, I'd be happy.

carlosjackal, Nov 13, 3:31am
Google Picton Cafés and that may jolt your memory of the name of the café that you ate at. Then, don't be shy and call them.I have approached Cafés before (restauranteurs and café owners) who have been only too happy to answer any questions re. their recipe for a particular dish. Some may not be very obliging but hey.it's worth a go.they can only say no!

badams1, Nov 13, 4:22am
i think its called the dog and frog

samsnan, Nov 13, 4:33am
korbo if you manage to get the recipe please post it here as it sounds delicous.

245sam, Nov 13, 4:45am
korbo, at:- http://www.menumania.co.nz/restaurants/dog-frog-cafe
someone mentions "their bacon and kumara roll/croquette is very tasty' so
here is wikipedia's description of a croquette.
"A croquette is a small breadcrumbed fried food roll containing, usually as main ingredients, mashed potatoes and/or ground meat (veal, beef, chicken, or turkey), shellfish, fish, cheese, vegetables and mixed with béchamel or brown sauce,[1], and soaked white bread, egg, onion, spices and herbs, wine, milk, beer or any of the combination thereof, sometimes with a filling, e.g. sauteed onions or mushrooms, boiled eggs (Scotch eggs).[2] The croquette is usually shaped into a cylinder, disk or oval shape and then deep-fried. The croquette (from the French croquer, "to crunch") gained worldwide popularity, both as a delicacy and as a fast food."

I'm wondering if "the most delicous *KUMERA ROLL UP* thing" was a bacon-wrapped (instead of breadcrumbed) kumara and smoked chicken croquette!:-))

245sam, Nov 13, 4:45am
korbo, at:- http://www.menumania.co.nz/restaurants/dog-frog-cafe
someone mentions "their bacon and kumara roll/croquette is very tasty" so
here is wikipedia's description of a croquette.
"A croquette is a small breadcrumbed fried food roll containing, usually as main ingredients, mashed potatoes and/or ground meat (veal, beef, chicken, or turkey), shellfish, fish, cheese, vegetables and mixed with béchamel or brown sauce,[1], and soaked white bread, egg, onion, spices and herbs, wine, milk, beer or any of the combination thereof, sometimes with a filling, e.g. sauteed onions or mushrooms, boiled eggs (Scotch eggs).[2] The croquette is usually shaped into a cylinder, disk or oval shape and then deep-fried. The croquette (from the French croquer, "to crunch") gained worldwide popularity, both as a delicacy and as a fast food."

I'm wondering if "the most delicous *KUMERA ROLL UP* thing" was a bacon-wrapped (instead of breadcrumbed) kumara and smoked chicken croquette!:-))

korbo, Nov 13, 8:08am
yes,yes, that sounds like it. couldnt tell you the name, as we just popped in for lunch before the ferry. will havea try this weekend, 245sam, wouldyou put a small amount of flour into the mashed kumera to kinda firm it up to make into the cylinder shape. the smoked bacon was along the top, and then heaps of streaky bacon.baked in the oven i guess.
ohhhhhh, my mouth is wanting some now.

carlosjackal, Nov 13, 8:26am
If you love Kumara and Bacon together than you'd probably like this recipe for Kumara Gratin:

This is really morish and even nicer heated up the next day:

KUMARA GRATIN

Ingredients
• 4-5 Kumaras (or potatoes or a mixture of both)
• 4 Rashers of bacon (or use bacon bits)
• 1 Onion Chopped
• 1 Packet of Maggi Bacon and Onion soup mix
• Some cream
• 1 cup Grated Cheese

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees
2. Fry bacon & Onion together (or separately)
3. Peel and slice Kumara
4. Mix the soup mix, sauteed onions and bacon and some cheese
and some cream through the kumara slices.
5. Pile the whole lot into large baking dish.
6. Cover a little more with Grated Cheese and pour over a little
more cream
7. Bake in oven for around 45 mins to an hour

korbo, Nov 13, 8:18pm
yumoh.will try this too.

mike844, Nov 13, 8:21pm
And sis coming up from picton to auck should've put your order in lol

nick76, Nov 14, 12:48am
I havetold the owner of the cafe about your request.ahe will pop into
this thread soon

shannonsmum, Nov 14, 3:36am
Glad you enjoyed your Kumera roll Korbo, it is really easy to make.

Just cook some Kumera and mash it with garlic butter.
Place streaky bacon on some gladwrap - 2 strips one way and 3 the other.
Roll the kumera into the size you would like, place on the bacon,sprinkle with cashew nuts, add some smoked chicken.

Wrap the bacon around (if not holding together well just wrap in the gladwrap for an hour or two)

Bake in a hot oven for around 15 mins then turn and cook again until bacon is crispy.

This recipe is gluten free and if you use spread rather than butter it is dairy free as well.

arrowmax, Nov 14, 4:29am
shannonsmum - that sounds wonderful! And thank you for sharing your recipe!

korbo, Nov 14, 9:04am
wowee, this message board is just great. thanks so much for sussing out the cafe, and thanks to shannonsmum for coming in here with the recipe.

earthangel4, Nov 14, 7:40pm
Hi Shannonsmum,
I am coming over to Blenheim at the end of Jan,will be visiting Picton,so will be visiting your cafe,and trying the Kumera roll,even better to know it is Gluten free.

timturtle, Nov 14, 8:41pm
These sound nice too, but haven't tried them. Kumera & Pumpkin Balls.

kool, i will start
2 large yellow kumara
about the same amount of pumpkin.
I cut in to 25mm cubes and put wee bit of water in a bowl and cover with cleanfilm and microwave uintil its a mashy consistensy.Drain and set aside, take a small packet of salted cooked cashews and finely cut to say 4 or 5mm pieces.Mix all this together and put in fridge til it firms up, then take it out and make into balls size of bigger than a golf ball and use wet hands to do this and then roll them in breadcrumbs and refrigerate til ready to deep fry, or pan fry if you dont have a deep fryer
Sate sauce, and this is premo stuff here!
50 gms butter fry a red onion finely chopped or 2 small white onions, i just prefer red.Fry until onions are soft, add 2 teaspoons fish sauce, about 1 to 2 teaspoons soy sauce, i use 2 because the soy i have is quite runny, 1 chilly deseeded and finely chopped and about a cup of water.Start adding chunky peanut butter a tablespoon at a time until its thickens to consistency you want.Dont use salt as fish sauce and soy is plenty, taste and add brown sugar until you get a nice balanced flavour.
My kids have ordered me to make another batch for them, they said they were that good, i also use sauce with chicken kebabs, i use thigh meat, red pepper, chicken red onion skewers and grill them and eat with sauce and rice.Very yummy entree!

good luck on a cheap meal or meals, i usely make enough so i get 2 meals out of the sauce, let me know how ya get on!

Quote iman007 (0 )11:36 am, Fri 20 Jul #12

fisherlures, Nov 19, 3:16am
Kumara Croquettes
4 med kumara225g can crushed pineapple2 rashers bacon choppedparsley2 eggs2 tbsp pineapple juice1 tbsp cornflour
1tbsp water11/2 cups dried breadcrumbs1 tsp ground cumin 1/2 tsp ground chilli1/4 cup oil
Boil and mash kumaraChop bacon into small pieces and mix into kumara with parsley and adding one of the eggs. Mix in pineapple.
Add reserved pineapple juice if too dry. Beat 2nd egg cornflour and water together Shape kumara mixture into oblong shapes.
Mix bread crumbs and spices together and dip croquettes into egg mixture and then breadcrumb mixture.
Put oil in baking dish and roll croquettes in oil, bake 200degc 20 mins or till golden.

susieq9, Nov 19, 3:47am
Fisherlures, these sound really tasty.Would go down well with some fresh terakihi or groper! To only get out fishing now.

korbo, Nov 19, 3:56am
earthangel, yep will be back in Picton for one of these again in Jan, before heading to Blenheim.

fisherlures, Nov 19, 3:57am
Hey suzie.fish the family dish. I been crook so the boat has cobwebs :{
Couple of blackouts and stokes so been doing some easy garden work . but am soon gonna put the boat back in water to slay a few nice snaps.
You can change breadcrumb mixture to Coat and Cook which I like better.
or use panko breadcrumbs.

earthangel4, Nov 19, 6:53pm
Lol good on you,will let you know how it goes.

susieq9, Nov 19, 11:29pm
Fisher, sorry to hear about that. Hope you get a good recovery. Fishing a bit slow here as well.Breadcrumbs, only use the Panko ones now they are great. Happy fishing when you get there.

earthangel4, Dec 8, 12:08am
Not long to go now.