How do you cook an omlette, and any filling ideas?

dibble35, Nov 6, 6:07am
Hi have tried cooking omlettes for the last 2 nights and they taste great but dont look that flash. Break up a bit when i try to fold them over the filling. Anyway have way to many eggs, i bought a tray, someone else bought a tray, so lots to use in 1 month. So far i've had fried onion, mushroom and cheese - yum, and chives, corriander and cheese also yum, any other filling ideas, TIA

amazing_grace, Nov 6, 7:23am
Well.I use eggs that our chooks have just laid.2 or 3 3eggs per person.Mix in a bowl with a fork and 1T water per egg.Put a little butter in a pan, when hot pour in the egg mixture.Salt and pepper the top.As it starts to set bring the edges in, to let any uncooked egg get the bottom of the pan.When starting to mostly set underneath but the tops are still runny/soft, put on your fillings on one side only. Then fold over onto the filling using a spatula.Cook about 30secs or 1 min or so more. Slide out onto a plate.

Works every time, use a good heavy cast iron frying pan.

lyl_guy, Nov 6, 7:30am
Method as above. tonight I made one with baby spinach, cheese, chopped tomato. yumm!

red2, Nov 6, 7:31am
can always do frittata for dinner too with excess eggs

dibble35, Nov 6, 6:24pm
Thanks for that. feel a tomato and cheese omlette coming on, and maybe a frittata. if i ever find the time, dont even have kids as an excuse, just everything coming up at once.

dibble35, Nov 6, 6:24pm
Thanks for that. feel a tomato and cheese omlette coming on, and maybe a frittata. if i ever find the time, dont even have kids as an excuse, just everything coming up at once. I have a really old heavy pan that I can use instead, see if that makes any diff to my next hopefully 'masterpiece' LOL

village.green, Nov 6, 7:44pm
Agree with amazing_grace - I have an omelette most days and the water really helps to keep them light and fluffy and not overcooking. Sometimes I put the filling like cheese mixed in with beaten eggs but I think you have better results if you put (or precook first) the filling on top at the end and fold over, like spinach, onions etc.
My husband is much better at cooking omelettes than me, but he only cooks at the weekend.