How do you cook duck

packergirl, Jan 19, 3:04am
its my brothers birthday next wk and I have never cooked duck before but would love to try can you share the way you cook duck
thanks

nannahall1, Jan 19, 3:52am
if its a wild duck i cook mine is slow cooker and then roast the last half hour if not an oven bag is good with an orange in bag and juice

davidt4, Jan 19, 4:12am
The simplest way to roast duck is Nigella Lawson's method.Place it on a rack in a roasting dish, put some rosemary or thyme or orange zest inside, sprinkle with salt.Roast at 140 C for about 4 hours, periodically pouring off the fat that will come out.Save the fat for other uses.

Bear in mind that there isn't that much flesh on a duck, not nearly as much as on a chicken.One average duck will really only feed two hungry people or three if you portion it out carefully.

t.gypsy, Jan 19, 4:54am
where do you buy duck in south auckland?? i am in takanini so where around here do i get it from

buzzy110, Jan 19, 10:41am
Some supermarkets have it in their butchery section. It is in Mt Albert Park-n-shove and most NWs have it. I buy it from the Aussie Butcher (there may be a branch in Takanini). You could ring up your local Mad Butcher. They might stock it. But it is probably a bit pricey and not popular enough for any, but the most well patronised butcher shops to sell it.

buzzy110, Jan 19, 11:05am
This is a very good point. I usually get the butcher to joint mine. Cut off the breasts, legs and wings. I cart my newly jointed duck home and do this:

I make a stock with the carcass and stock vegetable.

I brown the legs and wings. Saute vegetables of choice with some citrus (lime, lemon orange - you choose) zest. Casserole the whole lot with the defatted stock, and whatever else I want to go into the casserole.

I cook the duck breasts in a frying pan - duck breasts are always served pink, not well done and rest. All the meat should now be on a serving platter.

I cook bok choy in the casserole stock and serve the whole lot up on the platter and some stock poured over. It looks nice and there is more meat because you don't have to hack it off the carcass.

If there are only two of you, you could have the casserole one day (save ½ the stock from the casserole) and the pan fried breasts with a sauce from the saved stock the next.

If you have a family, then cook the breasts last and add in to the casserole or don't do duck, unless they are afficionados of fine food.

Note; Duck breasts should always be pink, never over cook them when pan frying and make sure the skin is crispy.

ducky12, Mar 9, 11:02pm
in slower cooker with ginger ale start with some in bottom the pour some over as cooking real nice