Recovering from Chemo/Radiation Menu Ideas

2bakerz, Oct 24, 6:47am
Hubby is recovering from chemo/radiation (7 weeks) - no taste, no saliva, fed up with mashed potato, omelets, etc - know he has to have protein in each meal, but nothing appeals.Has anyone else had this problem and how did you get through it!

uli, Oct 24, 8:22am
Ask him what appeals.
Maybe use more herbs/spices!

I would include fish or meat or eggs or yoghurt with every meal to make sure he gets enough protein!

Then rather than mashed potato feed him leafy greens and broccoli so he gets all the nutrients he needs to recover.

If all fails make some fresh vege juice for him every day which he only needs to drink - full of vitamins and minerals.

Try and buy organic veges if you can.

davidt4, Oct 24, 8:24am
See my comments on the other cancer thread.I suggest fresh salmon: cook it very gently, serve with lots of good quality olive oil for flavour and moisture.Lemon juice if it is not too abrasive.

dlmckay, Oct 24, 8:26am
My ex got complete diet milkshake drinks on prescription because he couldn't swallow whole foods after chemo/radiation for throat cancer.Are you getting these!

terachaos, Oct 24, 8:28am
How would he go with smoothies! Perhaps adding spiralina (sp!) or maybe adding complan! Smoothies can be very nutritious, and quite appealing, when recovering. Just a thought.

elliehen, Oct 24, 9:46am
Brand "Ensure" protein shake powder is prescribed by GPs for some elderly people.

http://abbottnutrition.com/products/ensure-high-protein

cardiffgirl, Oct 24, 11:09am
Hi 2bakerz, My husband had seven weeks of head and neck radiation nod was left with the same issues.very sore throat and mouth, no saliva and loss of taste. As davidt4 says, poached salmon is good, poached eggs also. It's really difficult to find suitable foods.certainly fortisip and ensure we're life savers. My husband had an excellent artificial saliva which was made up by our pharmacist. He always made sure that he had a large glass of water with any meals. We found rice not suitable.pasta was ok especially with a creamy sauce. Once the throat soreness cleared up it became a bit easier but it is a difficult period to get through. All the best

mwood, Oct 25, 1:45am
Mashed potato and omelettes are a shade too dry. Try Colcannon http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/colcannon/ and creamy scrambled eggs instead. Old style soggy mince is good - watch the fresh salmon for bones - tinned is better. Try a large glass of Stout is more beneficial than a glass of water.

sticky232, Oct 25, 9:01pm
My husband drank chocolate milk had scrambled eggs spaghetti might be fine all softesh foods