Goat chops

tigerlilly16, Oct 20, 6:31am
Male friend has just bought a barbeque today and went down to the Aussie butcher to get meat supplies, came back with, amongst other things goat chops. Now firstly I had only ever heard of using goat in a curry or slow cook method, but he is insistent on bbqing them, but wants them 'well done'. Firstly would goat chops be ok on the bbq and how long would you cook them for!

nanasee1, Oct 20, 6:38am
Slow cook not bbq for me

phalanx2, Oct 20, 7:02am
Goat is a lean meat, less fat than lamb.I cannot think of any reason why you couldn't BBQ it, just make sure the meat is from a young tender animal and not some tough old Billy !

Edit to add - we used to serve roast goat to unsuspecting visiters, they thought it was lamb.

dibble35, Oct 20, 7:06am
I've tried grilling goat chops, they were tough as. I would only ever curry or slow cook them from now on, unless as above poster says, you know they were from tender young goat

gecko100, Oct 20, 7:21am
Have slow cooked them, with vegetables etc, casserole style and they were so good.

tigerlilly16, Oct 20, 7:53am
Well he went ahead and did it - they turned out ok - were a bit tough to cut into, but, surprisingly not tough to chew. Tasted a lot like lamb, If he had told me they were lamb chops I would not have thought twice about them.

beaker59, Oct 20, 9:52am
Great you enjoyed them I regularly BBQ wild goat chops they are great and I love them. Though I do carefully select young animals for that and don't overcook them, I also marinate them, though non marinated is good too.

lythande1, Oct 20, 6:52pm
Loin chops or shoulder! If shoulder probably not. Yes goat is tougher.
Still, if he insists, do it, he can eat them.

antoniab, Oct 20, 10:04pm
I LOVE goat so under rated!

davidt4, Oct 20, 10:15pm
I agree.We are lucky enough to have several muslim butcheries quite handy, and I have been making goat curries with a mixture of shoulder and leg meat.I do find however that tenderness varies hugely, and we had one batch of loin chops that were so tough as to be inedible.

Is there any way of judging the tenderness of goat meat!

beaker59, Oct 21, 12:26am
Only by animal age and condition when live, yearling either nanny or buck are fine just like lamb really younger is better though they tend to be tiny. A goat of the variety we have wild here generally are quite small. Some of the meat breeds in domestic goats are much bigger and better meat quality.I suspect allot of goat meat sold here is just anything except really mature billies and even those have a market. To say goat meat is tough is ridiculous if you compare it to say lamb as you wouldn't accept just generic sheep meat (could be lamb hogget or mutton) at a butchers like they do goat.

antoniab, Oct 21, 2:51am
Im lucky enough to have a keen hunter for a husband so he is able to hand pick the age of the animal for tenderness - when we lived in the UK though we used to get it from the numerous muslim butcheries too :)