Where can l buy a working butter churn?

griffo4, Oct 10, 3:55am
l have googled and looked on here but just thought l would ask if anyone knows where l can buy one that isn't going to break the bank please!

harrislucinda, Oct 10, 4:27am
most wooden1,stodayhaveborerin themifyou want tomakebutter
likeidouseaheavydutycakemixer

cookiebarrel, Oct 10, 4:59am
Recall many years ago seeing one in an English Womens Weekly that had a glass jar base, a bit like a large preserving jar, but different shape , with a metal lid and churning mechanism and a wooden handle you turned/churned it with.Was in an article on milking goats, so maybe somewhere to start googling.

griffo4, Oct 10, 5:37am
Harrislucinda do you use a kenwood with the k beater in and how fast do you have it going!
Cookiebarrel there is one listed here but it has borer and some the mechanism doesn't work but thanks for info
l saw one new one but they wanted $500 for a 2.5ltr glass jar with all the mechanism and l would need to make alot of butter to pay for it

uli, Oct 10, 5:43am
Any kitchen wizz makes butter. You can use a kenwood or a food processor or even a blender. Once you over whip cream you have butter. The washing process is much more important for the end product than how you made those butter lumps.

mothergoose_nz, Oct 10, 7:39am
mum always made butter with her sunbeam cakemixer

harrislucinda, Oct 10, 8:25am
yes have aken woodIt hasa stainlessbowlasthe creamneeds to bekeptcooli start offfairly slowaswillspitevery wherethenfasteruntilthecreamisthicktheniwrapanewspaperroundasnowthecreamisstarting to seperate frombuttermilkThistakesabout40 minsIhavejustmade10 ltsintobutterIhave abowlofcoldwaterhandyto washoffanybuttermilk

griffo4, Oct 10, 8:38am
Thanks harrislucinda and Ulil was wondering about the mechanics of making it and l realise that l need to wash it well so it doesn't go off and when do l add salt and how much!
My kenwood bowl is the plastic one and does that matter!
Sorry for so many questions but l really want to try this and get it right as we have so much cream on the top of our milk which is raw milk from our cows
Do l need to get paddles or not!
TIA

shop-a-holic, Oct 10, 10:46am
Adding salt acts in two ways. It adds flavour and also is a preservative to stop your young gorgeous butter going rancid too quickly and to reduce its ability to absorb other odours.

The best thing to do is weigh your finished butter so that you can then calculate how much salt is required.The measure for adding salt is about half a teaspoon per 250gms.Or 1% of the finished product.

300mls of cream should yield between 100-120gms of butter; 600mls probably 250gms and so on.

Always wrap and store the in fridge with foil.

shop-a-holic, Oct 10, 10:51am
Is this for the squeezing and rinsing part!You can just use the bowl of your mixer.Drain off the buttermilk.Add VERY VERY ice COLD water.We don't want the new butter to start melting.Using a wooden spoon works well, but there is no reason why you can't use anything to push the butter against the bowl, and keep rinsing and squeezing the buttermilk out.

I think you'll have a great time! Don't forget to take pics!

griffo4, Oct 10, 8:55pm
Thank you for that shop a holic l have just made myself 2 nice thick totara wooden spoons so can use them
l will let you know when l make it

buzzy110, Oct 11, 1:43am
I make butter every week from raw milk. First I culture it but you can achieve a similar effect by letting it age for at least 5 days.

Make sure you save the butter milk - the stuff that comes away easily at the beginning and has yet had water added for rinsing. You can freeze your butter as well. I slice mine up into amounts I know we can use up inside 5 days.

Cultured butter milk is amazing. You can use it in baking but I use it in a 'living' smoothie with fresh homemade yoghurt added to it. It is also just delicious to drink as it is. Just don't throw it away because you will be throwing away a rich source of nutrients and a tasty ingredient.

I use my blender. It has a beating attachment but I only make a litre at a time. I wish I could get more cream but the organic farm I get mine from has only a limited supply.I feel very envious of you.

harrislucinda, Oct 11, 3:44am
idontusepaddlesijustmakeasmallballofthebutterandclappitinmyhandsAbout thesaltiputabout1tspinbutbeforeitturnsnotsurehowmuchcreamiuseasweseperate itsojust3/4fullmybowl
idoleavethecreamafewdaysbeforeiuseit
ifreezeinsmallamounts
enjoyasnicerthanbrought

griffo4, Oct 11, 8:00am
Thank you for those responses l will work on it the next couple of days as todays milk didn't have much cream on top

guest, Jan 11, 11:44am
At last! Someone with the insight to solve the prebmol!

guest, Jan 13, 2:23pm
i love that you took these! a few days ago when i was walking arunod cambridge on my lunch break, i was basically sick over how beautiful it was, and sad because i knew we (Bill and me) wouldn't get our act together to take some informal engagement photos outside before the leaves fell. coming in this morning, i saw that tons of trees have dropped their leaves

guest, Jan 14, 10:15am
That's an astute answer to a tricky queiostn