Sometimes my roast pork works othertimes it doesnt

lily23, Oct 14, 5:01am
but tonight its gorgeous tender meat and amazing crackling, weird cos I use the same technique every time and the same oven temp etc, must be the meat

camper18, Oct 14, 8:59pm
Definitely the meat

chatsmom, Oct 14, 10:39pm
I've learnt if the meat isn't at room temperature and the skin not dry enough then not nice meat and bad crackling.

sarahb5, Oct 14, 10:57pm
Mine's the same - a bit hit and miss - last night's was good although took longer to cook than it should've done but even the gravy got compliments from hubby and teenage sons!

daleaway, Oct 14, 11:48pm
Pigs are different.

tjman, Oct 15, 3:12am
Do you score, dry and salt it.!

tjman, Oct 15, 3:13am
Also sometimes I notice that there isn't much fat under the skin.I wonder if that makes a difference

uli, Oct 15, 10:24pm
Yes - especially the ones we import from Europe.

beaker59, Oct 16, 1:45am
A major factor is we tend to roast the wrong bits so often I see leg roasts offered at the supermarket they will be dry and coarse meat even though crackling is good. For the best pork roast try a shoulder far superior meat for roasting though the crackling isn't quite as good. My favourite is a large shoulder on the Kettle BBQ cooked over charcoal.

lily23, Oct 17, 9:06am
Thanks for the interesting replies come to think of it I usually choose a leg

antoniab, Oct 17, 7:13pm
Mmm we had our best roast pork on Monday - think it was because it was shoulder not leg - 5hr slow roasted the took the crackling off and put it under the grill. Was amazing! Last time I think it was leg (homekill stuff both times) and it dried out

kara101, Oct 23, 4:40am
Resting the meat for about half an hour is also important, and yep i always do crackling under the grill that way i can cut off half of the disgusting layers of fat underneath. without hubby knowing. lol!