Watery quiche or scambled eggs.

may321, Oct 16, 6:49am
Can some one please tell me if they know ,,, why does quiche or scambled eggs become quite watery.i have asked many people this and no one can tell me why this happens sometimes.i thought maybe overcooked.but have redone this and still can happen.I am a cook in an establishment and have a good knowledge of cooking.but this is one thing that has stumped me.can anyone give any suggestions.!

sossie1, Oct 16, 6:54am
The only time i have ever had watery scrambled eggs, it was because water was added to them when they were beaten,

the best scrambled eggs (imho), are made with nothing added except seasoning, and stirred in bits of butter added when they are just beginning to set.

Watery quiche! never heard that one before. I make a white sauce, add eggs and cheese to that, never had any water issues.

and, as always, google is your friend

cookessentials, Oct 16, 6:55am
Usually too much milk has been added.

may321, Oct 16, 7:30am
thanks for your input.i thought too much milk or overcooked.thanks.

agave1, Oct 16, 8:04am
pretty sure it's because they're overcooked.take them off the stove just before you think it's cooked, the residual heat will do the rest.

ange164, Oct 16, 8:06am
my mama says it's because they're cooked too fast. (over cooked I guess.) I've found it to be accurate when it's scrambled eggs. (don't know about quiche.) If I cook them slower, they don't go watery. Cook 'em on a higher temp and they do.

cookessentials, Oct 16, 8:58am
I always cook mine slowly and then turn the heat off and let the residual heat do the rest. I like them creamy and soft.

may321, Oct 16, 9:03am
thanks a lot folks.

may321, Oct 16, 9:05am
if i make the quiche with cream and eggs.not a problem.seems to be when using milk.i make a huge amount at work.not just a small one.one to feed 40 people.its funny.i have asked chefs this question.and none of them could give me an answer.but knew what i was talking about.

camper18, Oct 16, 7:42pm
Could try the quiche in a shallow waterbath.

pickles7, Oct 16, 7:49pm
It is one of those things that has so many variants, you cannot answer.

uli, Oct 17, 8:08am
reminded me of the wwoofers yesterday .

so bump for better eggs :)

buzzy110, Oct 17, 8:44am
Obviously you add milk to your dishes. The 'watery' part is actually the whey from the milk separating out of the eggs. Some people love this 'watery bit' I know my DH does and makes it especially with lots of milk. I make my scrambled eggs with cream or no dairy at all. He likes that too but he really loves the whey part and loves to put his eggs onto toast so that the toast goes all soggy. The look of pure pleasure on his face is a delight. Lol.

yjeva, Oct 17, 8:46am
I have always thought it was from cooking them too quickly

gardie, Oct 17, 10:26am
or stirring too much - makes them split.

uli, Oct 17, 9:03pm
I make scrambled eggs just with eggs and herbs.

My wwoofers did some srcambled eggs themselves the other day and added milk and they were very watery, so they complained and asked how I do mine. So just don't add any liquid and you will be fine.

If you overcook scrambled eggs they go hard and rubbery but they don't just start leaking water.

davidt4, Oct 17, 9:20pm
Eggs, cream, parsley/chives/tarragon, salt and pepper, combined gently with a fork (not beaten with an egg beater), cooked gently in a good amount of butter until barely set.Don't stir too much and don't overcook.

Milk is the enemy of good scrambled eggs.

elliehen, Oct 17, 9:37pm
A dollop of sour cream improves scrambled eggs.

gardie, Oct 17, 9:42pm
Yum - I feel like scrambled eggs - complete with cream and chives.Sadly, no cream here and too far from shops.Will need to put it on my shopping list.

svx1, Oct 18, 6:58am
Hi Gordan Ramsay says never add salt to the scramble eggs as this causes them to become watery and my scrambled eggs are perfect each time just add say 9 eggs and 1/2 to 1 cup of milk whisk eggs together first then add milk and whisk pour into pan that has a small amount of butter and cook gently on medium heat and gently mix through dont over do this and you will have perfect scrambled eggs each time cheers

nik12, Oct 18, 11:18am
I do a rough tablespoon of milk ( i just slop it in now) per egg, I think it makes them more creamy.Cook in enough butter to frizzel in the pan first, then turn it right down. I stir it as that bottom sets in between making the toast. Haven't had them watery yet. I don't add add salt at the start, but when I remember add a shake of pepper.

may321, Oct 19, 7:23am
thanks for all your input.