Christmas Steamed Puddings - can you make in the

korban, Oct 8, 7:25am
slow cooker!Do you have a tried and true recipe please!

I have never make a steamed pudding ever - I need all the help I can get!

Thanks

unknowndisorder, Oct 8, 7:47am
Bumped a thread for you, hope it helps :)

harrislucinda, Oct 8, 8:58am
yesihavedoneabigpuddingintheslowcookernotsurewhereihavetherecipehopesome1else mayhelp

grandma, Oct 8, 9:06am
I always cook mine in the crockpot - seems to bring out all the flavours with the slow cooking.I make it a few days beforehand, put it in the fridge then heat it in the microwave on the BIG day.Saves using the oven plates when they are in demand.

unknowndisorder, Oct 8, 9:31am
I've bumped a few more threads, but there will be more.

rarogal, Oct 9, 1:12am
Grandma, did you put it in a tin first! Or mixture straight into slow cooker bowl! Love Nana.

nauru, Oct 9, 6:40am
I have been using this recipe from Joan Bishop's crockpot book for a number of years now and it always turns out well.
100g soft breadcrumbs, 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 600g mixed fruit, 1/2 teasp gd nutmeg, 1 teasp mixed spice, 1 teasp cinnamon, 1/2 teasp gd ginger, 100g butter, 1/4 cup golden syrup, 1/4 cup milk, 1 teasp baking soda, 2 eggs beaten, 1 tablsp brandy/rum.

Preheat crockpot on high for 20 mins, grease pudding basin (8cup size). In large bowl mix together breadcrumbs, flour and sugar. Add dried fruit and spices, stir weel. Melt butter and syrup in pan, remove from heat and add milkand baking soda. Stir until soda dissolved, add the eggs and brandy and stir well. Pour liquid ingredients into flour mixture and stir thoroughly. Pour mixture into prepared pudding basin. Cover lightly with foil and place into crockpot on a trivet, pour 3 cups boiling water around it. Cover crockpot with lid and cook on high for 6-8 hours.

I also add 1 grated carrot to the fruit, a pass down from my Mum and Gran. I usually make 2 smaller puddings rather than one big one just my preference and I always cover the pudding with baking paper and then foil. This year I made 1 medium and 2 small and 2 individual puddings from this recipe. Putting the prepared puddings in the fridge until ready to cook, they came out well.

grandma, Oct 9, 6:53am
rarogirl - I put it in a s/s basin, cover it in foil (plus a rubberband around the circumference), pop it on an upturned saucer and pour water around it, just up about half way.I cook it in high for 6 hours (mine is a slow cooker.)Would recommend this way - no wondering and checking to see if the water has boiled dry and it is lovely and moist.After it has cooled, I put it in the fridge as is and on the day, turn it into another microwave proof bowl and zap it in the microwave until it is warmed right through.Hope this helps.

preskoolteacha, Oct 18, 3:47am
grandma what is your christmas pud recipe and how many would it feed!

grandma, Oct 18, 6:17am
It's an Alison Holst one that always use now.
Alison Holt’s Christmas Pudding
(Published in the Press 23.12.1981)
(6 – 8 servings)
25 g butter
1 Tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp cocoa
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp nutmeg
Grated rind of an orange or lemon (I miss this out)
1 –2 cups dried fruit (I use 3)
1 egg
½ tsp baking soda
½ cup milk
1 cup flour

Melt butter in med to large saucepan.Add syrup, heat with butter until runny, and then remove from heat.
Add spices and egg.Stir.
Measure the baking soda into the container in which you will measure the milk. Stir to dissolve and add to saucepan.
Add the flour and stir only until it is mixed with the other ingredients, but do not beat until smooth.(Check beforehand that it holds 6 cups of water.)
Turn mixture into a greased (or sprayed) med sized metal, china or Pyrex bowl.
Cover bowl with foil, pressing the edges over the rim of the bowl. (I use a rubber band too.)
Stand bowl on a saucer or pressing ring and pour enough boiling water around it to come at least 1/3 of the way up the bowl.
I cook it on High on my Crock pot (it is a slow one) for 6 hours, but you can steam it in a saucepan for 2 hours or microwave for 4 ½ mins then test every 30 seconds until centre springs back.I have tried them all, but much prefer the crock pot – it seems to bring out the flavours.
(Alison has included her usual very full instructions, which is good, but I have abbreviated it here.)

calista, Oct 18, 6:18am
I have used an Alison and Simon Holst recipe to make Christmas pud in the Crock pot for the last few years. It's in the red cp book and is called plum, rather than Christmas pud. From memory it's a 6 -8 person recipe.