Stop me from throwing away my pizza stone

Page 1 / 2
meoldchina, Sep 30, 7:00am
I have tred and tried to get on with my pizza stone, but I have had enough and unless you can convince me I am going to throw it away.
The problem is I can't transfer the pizza onto the stone. I get the stone up to temperature and then call my husband into the kitchen to help me lift the pizza onto the stone using two spatulas and a pair of hands, but it always ends up as a crumpled heap with half the ingredients on the floor. Tonight I tried the tip I got from here about rolling out the dough onto semolina. That helped to stop it sticking to the bench (though this had never really been a problem) but it doesn't help to lift it onto the very hot stone. Can anyone suggest a solution!

sumstyle, Sep 30, 7:08am
I usually have my pizza base on baking paper to transfer it to the oven - it can easily slide on to the oven tray from there.

daisyhill, Sep 30, 7:10am
Aren't pizza stones meant to be used with a flat paddle doohickey that lets you transfer the pizza in one piece! I'm sure that would be easier than trying to do it with your hands!

unknowndisorder, Sep 30, 7:35am
JUst use baking paper. I try the paddle but don't get on well with it, so use baking paper. Still cooks well on the stone :)

taurushat, Sep 30, 7:40am
Yep baking paper's the answer, that's what I do too.I have also rolled it onto a rolling pin, then unraveled it across the stone .just be careful of the heat of the stone.Don't throw it away, the pizza has a lovely crispy base when cooked on a stone.

mossum, Sep 30, 7:46am
Ithink from your post you are trying to transfer a topped fresh base to your stone !

I roll my base on the bench - then transfer base to stone - then top it ! - it only takes 2 mins & base is cooking whilst i'm topping !

uli, Sep 30, 7:58am
WHY! should we! Throw it out .
And really - why not just give up if you have no idea of how to make pizza!

knowsley, Sep 30, 8:15am
I use the metal pizza base on the stone initially, then after a few minutes take the pizza out, remove the metal base and put the pizza back directly on the stone. Works well for me.

peterg1, Sep 30, 8:29am
I put the base onto the hot stone and top it 'in situ' before chucking it in the oven. why wouldn't you do it like this. Its so easy. Never fails.

petal1955, Sep 30, 8:34am
Uli .if you cant make a nice comment .why bother you are always so bl**dy negative.

carlosjackal, Sep 30, 8:45am
Hey, that's a bit uncalled for isn't it! The only problem meoldchina appears to have is transferring the ready to bake pizza onto the pizza stone - not with the actual pizza. I must admit when I first got a pizza stone, it took me a couple of goes before I could work out how to transfer the uncooked pizza on to the stone.but there has never been anything WRONG with the pizza per se.

carlosjackal, Sep 30, 8:50am
I suggest you give the advice/suggestion ofpost #6(posted by mossum) a go. This is the way I do it and as mossum has said: the pizza base is already baking while you are "topping" !

issymae, Sep 30, 9:11am
would a frozen pizza base, just topped , work OK

carlosjackal, Sep 30, 9:17am
Probably not, because a frozen pizza base is par cooked it's not pizza dough - it's already a base - which basically just needs heating through.

toadfish, Sep 30, 9:22am
Petal1955 & Carlosjackson - just ignore.Some people say things purely for a reaction - don't give them the satisfaction.Life is too short to interact with those type of people.

Take Care Petals. JBx

meoldchina, Sep 30, 10:07am
OK - You have convinced me not to throw the stone away. I will try the baking paper suggestion and also the dressing the pizza base while it's on the hot stone, but first I have got to scrub the stone clean of all the burnt cheese and topping from tonight! Thanks everyone. I have also learned of a new kitchen gadget from daisyhill - "a flat paddle doohickey". I am going to ask for one for Christmas. It will be interesting to see what I get!

falcon-hell, Sep 30, 5:26pm
i roll my dough out and then put onto the hot stone and just add all my ingredients after that-the base starts cooking straightaway-and the cheese starts melting-but man everyone loves my pizza so its gotta be good.

asue, Sep 30, 6:20pm
I use a thin baking sheet (washable) as it has more stability than baking paper to slide from one to the other.(Mine was from the $2 shop- its white clear plastic so I can see thru it to line it up), also those bbq liners would probably be ok to use.

dezzie, Sep 30, 6:20pm
lol we build ours on a normal oven tray with semolina on, then open the oven slide out the rack a wee bit so you can actually see what you are doing, and scoot the pizza off the edge rather than the front of the oven tray, we don't have no fancy flat paddle doohickey.

beebs, Sep 30, 6:47pm
i start ours off on the oven tray on the stone, then once its firmed up, slide it directly onto the stone to carry on the cooking

gardie, Sep 30, 7:02pm
This is exactly what I used to do too.Got sick of cleaning up the semolina so now I just roll out the dough, pop it onto backing paper and put the toppings on then slide a normal over tray underneath the lot and transfer it to the hot pizza stone in the oven.This also takes a way the need to wash it.I pretty much only brush off anything that gets onto it.It looks pretty black but I'm sure that adds to the flavour.

cookessentials, Sep 30, 9:43pm
yes, buy yourself either a wooden pizza peel or a large cake lifter ( which is round with a handle , a but like a tennis racket!)

cookessentials, Sep 30, 9:46pm

cookessentials, Sep 30, 9:47pm
And this is what a pizza peel looks like.
http://fgpizza.com/store/page15.html

cookessentials, Sep 30, 10:00pm
I personally use a glazed pizza stone which keeps perfectly clean and like new. i can also use it on the hooded barbeque which is fabulous.