Stop me from throwing away my pizza stone

Page 2 / 2
daisyhill, Sep 30, 11:27pm
Ha ha, do keep us informed on that one!

bella95, Oct 1, 8:04am
This.
Works a treat and the stone doesn't cool down much, in fact as the stone is so hot the base starts cooking while you top it.
Wouldn't do it around small children though as it is VERY hot.
Do persevere though as the stone cooks fantastic pizzas!

uli, Oct 4, 4:16am
Since I am not of English extraction I can make any comment I like :) love it or loathe it petal (and what was that other English thing too . wasn't it "settle petal" or something like it!)

It is you that needs not to say anything except "this is NICE" - being English!
I can say anything I like - lucky me LOL :)

If someone wants to throw out their pizza stone I can only recommend that they do. As a pizza stone is doing nothing positive to a pizza. It is the high heat that cooks a pizza - not the stone. Of course you can heat it up for hours, but if your stove only does 220 degrees C then that is all it will get to.

The heat in my pizza/bread stone oven is about 450 degrees C when I start baking pizzas. I can do about 25 of them (2 to 3 mins each) then the heat slowly goes down to 300 or 250 degrees C by which time I throw in the bread, then the buns, by 170 degrees C the cake goes in. By about 80 degrees C in autumn the mushrooms get in and get dried for the rest of the night.

So yeah I can comment nice - and say "great people keep up the terrible work" - or I can give real info on how to do better. What do you think is more valuable!

hills50, Oct 4, 5:41am
oven tray is what we use.with semolina .

very_hotpants, Oct 5, 10:15pm
Rather than throw it out - there is an auction site Weedle or somthing. you could list it there and give the proceeds to a charity - there might be one for those who thro out their kitchen toys.

makespacenow, Oct 6, 12:57am
far out I wonder how you go no twos must be hard work with your head stuck there too.

keeley4, Oct 6, 10:29am
You can buy pizza paddles from this site.BTW- we have one of the pizza makers and its awesome - we never buy takeaway pizza's now as we can make them just as good or even better.
http://www.pizzamaker.co.nz/accessories.html

schnauzer11, Oct 6, 7:30pm
I was a bit put-off by the price of pizza-stones a few years ago.Went to a funeral company and had them cut me a polished square of granite-works really well!

mossum, Oct 6, 9:54pm
I also use my stone to make naan breads - they turn out well too !
http://www.food.com/recipe/bread-machine-naan-98512
except i bung it all in the bread machine on dough settingas i'm a bit time poor at present .Often use wholemeal & make them round & use them as a pita for lunches .

macandrosie, Oct 7, 5:12am
Is your pizza dough a yeast based dough or is it more of a scone dough! If it's yeast based you should be able to roll it onto your rolling pin then onto the heated pizza stone, but work accurately & quickly!

chchgurl, Oct 7, 5:13am
Hope it wasn't second hand lol

buzzy110, Oct 7, 6:21am
And the topping! Surely a pizza isn't a pizza until it has its topping. Without the topping it is just a thing piece of bread.

Working with an open oven door has two disadvantages. 1. You risk getting burnt. 2. You lose all of the heat you have spent good money building up in the oven.

I use a baker's peel.

beaker59, Oct 7, 8:59pm
I use a floured baking sheet works a treat :)

Perhaps your base hasn't been worked enough or the dough is too wet.

Hi Uli :) busy here dealing with 2 Red deer we shot last week slowly climbing a mountain of venison they are such big animals whew.

unknowndisorder, Oct 8, 4:20am
they now also have metal paddles, but didn't see them on their website.

eclair5, Oct 8, 10:23am
I roll out my pizza dough on baking paper and top it. Then I transfer it to the oven using a big round splatter screen (which I already had for the frying pans) - it just slides off as I'm using the baking paper. I put mine directly onto the oven shelves but it would work just as well with a pizza stone.