The Great Christmas Recipe Thread

Page 2 / 47
toadfish, Aug 12, 3:21am
Wouldn't be the same without traditional... ... White Christmas
250grms/8oz Kremelta Melted... 1 cup skim milk pwdr... 1 cup icing sugar... pinch salt... 1/2 teaspn vanilla ess... 1 cup total of either raisins, coconut, cherries, apricot, nuts... 3 cups rice bubbles. Add kremlta and mix well then pour into paper lined tin. set in fridge.

toadfish, Aug 12, 3:23am
I just love Christmas... ... ... ... . Mini Fruit Cake in Pots -
6 C mixed fruit, 1 C glace cherries – halved, 250gr butter, 1 C brown sugar, 1 C water, 5 eggs – lightly beaten, 1 Tbsp grated orange rind, 1 & ¾ C flour, 1/3 C self raising flour, 1 tsp b/soda. METHOD: Heat oven to slow – 150C. Brush 6 x 2cup capacity terracotta pots with melted butter or oil and line the base with a circle of baking paper. METHOD: Combine first 5 ingredients in large pot and bring to the boil while stirring. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for approx 10 mins - stir occasionally. Leave to cool. Add eggs and rind - combine. With metal spoon, stir in sifted flours & soda until just combined. Spoon into pots, smooth surface and cover pots with foil. Bake for 1 hr - until cake feels firm and they are golden brown. Cool in the pots.

country_babe, Aug 12, 3:49am
Xmas Cakes. Is it to early to make Xmas Cakes. ?
Never made one but thought if any body had a easy recipe that I could use that would be great. I'm no cook so the easier the better.
Thanks.

brianmac, Aug 12, 6:09am
No, it is fine so long as you have some alcohol in it and you store it well. I have a good recipe which I shall post on here soon.

softlysoftly8, Aug 12, 8:58am
You can freeze... ... . . your Xmas cake. I always make mine NO LATER than Labour weekend and freeze. I was given this tip from a friend who has a business making all sorts of celebration cakes. She told me that the freezing brings out the flavour of the fruit & I am sure it does. Remove from freezer a day or two before icing ( if you do ). Good luck ! !

southerngurl, Aug 12, 9:16am
anyone got a recipe for eggnog? whats it taste like?

itsmineah, Aug 12, 8:11pm
My christmas cake from last year is still in the freezer. I had forgotton about it! do you think it would be ok. Also brianmac with the fruit mince mixture if you keep it in the fridge till december, can you keep it in a tupperware container or something. And how do you keep hubby out of it. He just loves the stuff.

juliewn, Aug 13, 7:21am
The cake in the freezer should be fine. . they freeze well - in fact I make my Christmas Cake in August each year, then wrap in several layers of plastic wrap and freeze it till needed. Due to the fruit/sugar content, it doesn't freeze hard, so the cake continues to mature and the flavours blend. Thaw at room temp for at least 24 hours before icing. For fruit mince. . I also make it around now - and also freeze it - again, it doesn't freeze hard so the contents keep maturing - and it's easier to hide in the freezer! ! ! Hope this helps. .

juliewn, Aug 13, 7:24am
And a Christmas suggestion from me. . Keep any leftover almond paste from icing a Christmas Cake, and wrap well in plastic wrap and place in the freezer so it will keep well. When making Christmas Mince Tarts - cut off a thin slice of the almond paste, about the size of one of the old 50c pieces- and place it on top of the fruit mince in the tart. Cover with the top for the tart and bake as usual. The almond paste slightly caramelises, giving a lovely flavour to the tarts. . Happy Christmas Baking to Everyone. . Cheers. . Julie

kennymac, Aug 13, 7:25am
Copied before Xmas last year I copied this last year, and are unsure who posted it. XMAS CAKE - 1 kg fruit, 2 cups sugar, 2 cups water, 2 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp mixed spice, 1/2 pack of butter, 2 Tbsp golden syrup. Boil the listed ingredients together, let cool. Add 4 eggs, 4 cups plain flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp ginger and a pinch of curry powder (yes curry powder. It brings out the spices in the cake) Mix well and place into 8 - 10 small greased tins or larger ones and bake 1 hour at 150c or until cooked when tested. These cakes do rise so don't think they are too small. Decorate with icing or glace fruit coated with brandy glace BRANDY GLAZE - 1 heaped Tablespoon Apricot jam. 2 Tablespoons brandy. Place Jam and brandy in a small saucepan and heat gently together, whisking until thoroughly blended. Now using a brush paint some of the mixture over the top of the cake then arrange nuts of glace fruit on top and then brush generously over the whole top of topping. It leaves a wonderful shine and tastes great.

kennymac, Aug 13, 7:26am
x1
and another PINEAPPLE CHRISTMAS CAKE - 225g butter, 1 cup sugar, ½ teaspn vanilla, ½ teaspn lemon essence, 1 teaspn cinnamon, 1 teaspn ginger, 1 teaspn mixed spice, ¼ teaspn nutmeg, 3 cups flour, 6 eggs, 500g sultanas, 500g currants, 500g mixed fruit, 1 cup drained crushed pineapple, blanched almonds, cherries. ¼ cup brandy. Line a 23cm tin with one or two layers greaseproof or baking paper. Measure spices and flour into bowl and set aside. Cream butter, sugar and essences until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time with a spoonful of flour mixture after each to prevent curdling. Add prepared fruit and pineapple to remaining flour. Add flour and fruit to creamed mixture and mix thoroughly. Press evenly into prepared tin. Use almonds and cherries to decorate top. Bake at 150 for 1 ½ hours, then at 130 for about 2 hours until skewer comes out clean. Sprinkle hot cake with brandy.

itsmineah, Aug 13, 8:31am
mincemeat recipe that you make, is it possible to put it up here for us please. Good news about the cake though I thought it was hadit. What other christmas things do you guys do now, I never would have thought to be so organised.

fantalantique, Aug 13, 8:41am
Lollie Christmas Pudings ... EASY! 1 pkt white marshmallows
jaffas
mint leaves (the lollies! )
milk chocolate melts

Place marshmallows onto a serving plate. Drizzle melted chocolate over the top of the marshmallows and place a jaffa on top of the chocolate. Cut mint leaves into smaller leaves and place one on either side of the jaffa.

southerngurl, Aug 13, 8:42am
No one has a good eggnog recipe? does it really hve eggs in it?

cheeky_bryar, Aug 13, 8:45am
eggnog: google is your friend... 256.com/gray/recipes/eggnog/

brianmac, Aug 13, 8:55am
yes, I am sure the mincemeat recipe would be fine in tupperware container. I actually still have some in a sealed jar in the fridge! ! !

brianmac, Aug 13, 9:00am
Coffee Liqueur Eggnog this is a coffee liqueurusing Khalua. The traditional liqueur is Brandy if you prefer to use that. 4 eggs;separated;75g caster sugar;500ml hot milk;160ml khalua;125ml cream. Place egg yolks, sugar and milk in a lge heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water;whisk about 15 mins or until mix lightly coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from heat, stir in liqueur, cover, refrigerate 1 hour. Beat cream until soft peaks form, fold into liqueur mixture. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, gently fold , in two batches into liqueur mixture.

brianmac, Aug 13, 9:06am
Sugared Almonds These are very moreish and well worth making. 110g caster sugar;60 ml water;240g blanched almonds;30g butter. Combine sugar and water in med heavy based pan;stir over heat without boiling until sugar dissolves. Simmer, uncovered, wit-
hout stirring until temp reaches soft ball stage (115c on a candy thermometer) or when a teaspoon of syrup dropped into a glass of cold water moulds easily with fingers to a soft ball stage. Remove from heat, stir in almonds;stir until mixture crystalises. Return pan to heat, stir over low heat cont... . .

brianmac, Aug 13, 9:09am
stir over low heat for about 5 mins or until almonds turn golden and are coated with the caramel, add butter and stir until melted. Turn almonds on to lge oven tray. Separate almonds using two forks while still hot. When cold, serve or keep stored in an airtight container.

brianmac, Aug 13, 8:44pm
Melt N Mix Fruit Cake Can be made 2 months ahead and stored in an airtight container. Can be made in either a 19cm square cake tin or a 22cm round tin. 1 kg mixed dried fruit;35g slivered almonds, toasted;2 tbsp sweet sherry;250g brown sugar;250g butter, chopped;125ml milk;3 eggs, beaten lightly;450g plain flour;1/2 tsp baking soda;2 tsp mixed spice. Grease a 19cm square cake tin, cover base & sides with 3 layers of baking paper, bringing paper 5cm above edge of pan. cont...

brianmac, Aug 13, 8:49pm
Combine nuts, fruit, sherry and sugar in a large bowl. Combine butter and milk in small pan stir over heat, without boiling, until butter melts. Add butter mixture, eggs, sifted dry ingredients to fruit mixture;mix well. Spread into prepared tin. Bake in a very slow oven (120c) about 5 hours. Cover hot cake with foil Turn cake on to board;cool, upside down in pan. NOTE: This cake is the one to use for making the mini Christmas Cakes used for gifts.

country_babe, Aug 13, 9:06pm
Mini Cakes How would I do these brainmac ? Would like to make small Xmas Cakes as gifts .
Thanks.

brianmac, Aug 13, 9:26pm
Ok, its easy You will need to make a square melt n mix fruit cake as above, you will then need 2x 500g packets of soft icing (fondant)3/4 cup apricot jam, warmed and seived;icing sugar;food colourings;ribbons and decorations. Cut the cake into 9 even pieces, split each cake in half horizontally;cover to keep airtight. Knead fondant until smooth on a surface dusted with icing sugar. Divide the fondant into as many pieces as there are different colours to be used. Tint each piece by kneading in one of the prepared colourings. cont. .

brianmac, Aug 13, 9:31pm
leave some pieces uncoloured if white icing is desired. Wrap tinted pieces individually in plastic wrap until ready to use. Brush tops and sides of each cake evenly with jam just before it is ready to cover with fondant. Divide fondant so that you have 18 pieces (this makes 18 cakes) Roll out each piece between sheets of baking paper until lge enough to cover tops and sides of cake. Lift fondant on to cake with icing sugared hands;trim edges neatly;repeat with remaining fondant and cakes. cont...

brianmac, Aug 13, 9:34pm
Scraps can be used to make some decorative shapes such as stars, spots, moons etc. Secure the shapes with a little of the jam. Decorate with ribbons and decorations. Eg; white cake with black spots with red ribbon and a black and white spot ribbon. Green cake with a gold ribbon, gum nuts etc the tinsel with the stars attached with ribbon, blue cake with yellow stars - also use the silver and gold cachou's(sp)