Cucina direct cheese making

wendalls, Sep 15, 5:27am
Hi. Just wondering if anyone is successfully making mozarella from this microwave kit! I have ruined two lots now at what seems to be the end stage when i pour boiling water over. Actually i poured boiling salted water, tried to stretch it, decided it was too salty so poured just boiling water over and that was it. all down the drain. not even ricotta this time!

geldof, Sep 15, 5:48am
I ordered a kit about 6 weeks ago and haven't even received it yet. grrr

javabean, Sep 17, 12:40pm
Rennet is a protein. Proteins denature (cook like eggs) and become inactive at temperatures above 37 degrees / body temperature. Boiling water will cook Rennet. Better to start with a cooler temperature and raise it, than to start with one too hot.

wendalls, Sep 18, 10:50am
Thanks javabean. That makes sense. The instructions said to use boilng water.

fifie, Sep 18, 11:53pm
Any mozarella iv'e made don't pour boiling water over it, zap at 30sec bursts till you get the right consistency to stretch.

makespacenow, Sep 19, 3:26am
just google 30 minute mozarella no kits required ;)

seaturtle, Sep 21, 8:43pm
check out mad milly they have a video clip on their site step by step making mozarella easy when you see how!

harrislucinda, Sep 21, 11:15pm
havenot themicrowavekitbutotherandyouputitbackin thewheyitcameoutfromworkedforme
Justmadegoudasaidwait2mthsi havestartedeatingnowyummm

wendalls, Sep 25, 10:41am
Well 3rd attempt. Ok but couldnt stretch it. Too crumbly. i cooled the water so not boiling. Will try and check out mad milly site. most sites use a thermometer which i was trying to avoid buying in case the cheesemaking hobby goes down the drain like the expensive milk.

bernice1, Sep 25, 9:55pm
x1
I make this one regularly, I have tried the 30 min microwave one but now have no microwave! besides, this version gives a much better result. BTW you can buy inexpensive thermometers at Mitre 10 and the like.

Makes four balls of mozzarella, about 200g.

1 tsp citric acid

2 litres whole organic milk, raw or unhomogenised

¼ tsp rennet

2 tbsp salt

Dissolve the citric acid in 60ml of water – boil the kettle and let the water cool down to just warm, as this will help the crystals dissolve. Pour the milk into a large, non-reactive saucepan and heat gently just to take the chill of the fridge off it – you need it at about 13C. Add the citric acid, and heat to 30C, stirring gently – it will start to curdle.

Dilute the rennet in a tablespoon of boiled, cooled water and add it immediately to the milk. Warm gently to 38-39C, stirring from time to time – it will begin to separate. Remove from the heat and leave for about 15 minutes, to let the curd set and separate from the whey even more.

Carefully scoop the curds out of the pan with a slotted spoon and place them in a sieve – leave the hot whey in the pan. Press the curds gently to remove some of the whey – but be careful: you want them to be dripping a little, and if you remove too much the mozzarella will be tough. Add the salt to the whey in the pan and heat to 80C.

Put the curds on a chopping board and cut them into four 2cm-thick slices. Have a bowl of iced water ready. One at a time, dip the curds into the hot whey for a minute or so, until they begin to soften and stretch. Remove a piece of curd from the whey with a slotted spoon, dip your hands in the iced water (the cheese will be quite hot) and gently stretch out the cheese, folding it back on itself and working it just until it's stretchy, shiny and smooth. Don't be tempted to overwork.

Mould and pinch the cheese into a ball about 3cm wide, then drop it into a bowl of chilled water. Repeat with the remaining curds, refrigerate and use within two days.

harrislucinda, Sep 25, 11:07pm
you really doneeda thermometertoget therighttemptheyare,ntthatdearbest togetagaugetyperatherthandigitali comparedbothandthattypereadfartoo hot