Chocolate Eclaires - whipped cream query?

casswill, Aug 17, 3:54am
Does anyone know if the whipped cream you put in chocolate eclairs will still be ok in 24 hours if kept in the fridge or will the cream go all yuck!Are they be best filled close to serving!Just wanting to save some time - and sample before people try if poss as first time making them :)

daleaway, Aug 17, 3:57am
Best filled close to serving to keep the choux pastry crispish. If you refrigerate them the cream will be fine, but the pastry could end up a little too soft.
Ice them first, let that set, then cream them at the last minute.

casswill, Aug 17, 4:00am
Great. Thanks for that tip :)

buzzy110, Aug 17, 4:02am
Not really. Whipped cream begins to separate after a while, with the whey seeping out. This makes your eclair case soggy. Try an experiment. Whip up some cream and put it into the fridge and see what it is like the next day. It is not the same as the freshly whipped cream. I usually toss excess whipped cream.

nauru, Aug 17, 4:26am
I agree, the cream will be fine, whipped & kept in the fridge overnight but don't fill your eclairs until closer to serving.

propagator, Aug 17, 5:03am
1 tsp of gelatine to 4 tsp water.Bring to boil then cool and add to cream while beating.I do this for Banoffie Pie, pavs etc. works for me.
Mrs P

imrae1, Aug 17, 5:09am
propagator. My mum used to do this. Learnt from her Mother

malcovy, Aug 17, 5:50am
I like this tip very much.

shop-a-holic, Aug 17, 9:20am
Biggest load of whipped crap I've ever read.

plastic8, Aug 17, 10:04am
I've noticed refrigerated whipped cream sort of sets firmer than when first whipped, but I have never had it start to leak 'whey'!

korbo, Aug 18, 3:15am
I always add 1-2 tblsp vanilla instant pudding mix to cream and it sets lovely.

buzzy110, Aug 18, 4:22am
Yikes. Did you forget to take your meds again!

davidt4, Aug 18, 5:02am
If you are using whipped cream you need to fill them at the last minute.If you use a thick Crème Pâtissière (French pastry cream) they will hold for several hours as the Crème Pâtissière is stable and doesn't leak liquid.

casswill, Aug 18, 7:40pm
Thanks for all the tips everyone.They turned out well (well, tasted ok at least), but the empty shells looked a bit flat by the next day after being stored in a container. Might not have cooked them long enough I suspect.Next time I'll cook longer and make on the day of serving.

buzzy110, Aug 18, 10:18pm
Glad to hear it went well. It doesn't hurt them if you put them back into a 'hotish' oven for about 10mins to crisp them back up again. I always do that to the ones I have frozen.

poppy62, Aug 18, 10:27pm
Ha ha - I'd feel sorry for you Buzzy if it werent for the fact that the first thread I ever posted on here got the same reaction from you!So I guess you are getting what you have dished out in the past!

buzzy110, Aug 19, 12:59am
So for your very first posts you posted something nasty as well! I post as I receive. Cream has whey in it and, yes, it does separate out when it is whipped up and then left. I thought I would share that with the opening poster so that she knew why it wasn't a good idea to fill her eclairs too far in advance. My experience seems to have gotten another poster all worked up. Perhaps she would have preferred that the OP find out the hard way. Shrugs. Who knows what goes on in the minds of some people! There was no need to make such a nasty response. I could only assume her meds weren't working for her when she decided to attack my valid post. And why single me out! Others said similar and gave their ideas for overcoming the problem. I've never added stuff to my cream so I didn't know what would work and what wouldn't and I don't share guesses.

poppy62, Aug 19, 3:34am
No Buzzy My first post was not nasty - you said something to me that wasnt called for - it was over a year ago now and I have moved on but feel happy that what goes around does in fact come around! :)

buzzy110, Aug 19, 4:20am
I'm glad you are happy poppy. If someone being nasty to someone else, and, in the process doing a third person a disservice (denying that whipped cream will make her elcairs go soggy if filled too soon) spins your crank then you must embrace it.

I am not particularly concerned one way or the other btw.

Cheers and have a nice life. Btw, I doubt you have moved on or you would not feel so illogically happy to think I was upset. I hate to say this but pathetic anonymous posters do not register with me. I just feel sorry for all the hate they are storing up. Let it go. Both of you. It isn't worth it. If you hold onto the hate it will only affect you. Not me. I'll go on with my life completely touched. Hate is a useless emotion. Sadly one that is far too much indulged in by posters in these boards to the detriment of their own health.

kay141, Aug 19, 4:25am
Blimey, what a post.