CHEESE

cookessentials, Aug 16, 4:14am
Just had a hankering for some cheese, so thought I would start a thread for cheese recipes ( either sweet or savoury) I will start with the basic cheese straws.
4 sheets butter puff pastry
1/2 cup grated tasty cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 200C. Lightly grease a baking sheet.

Lay a sheet of puff pastry on your board. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the cheese. Top with another sheet of pastry. Lightly roll the pastry out a little larger in order to press the cheese into the pastry.

Cut the pastry lengthwise into strips about 1 1/2 cm wide. Gently twist each strip into a corkscrew. Place each "straw" onto the prepared tray, nestling them close to each other. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden

cookessentials, Aug 16, 4:17am
CHICKEN & CHEESE MUFFINS

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cups self-raising flour
60g packet cream of chicken soup mix
1 small chicken stock cube, crumbled
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
300g finely chopped cooked chicken
2 1/3 cups buttermilk
125g grated tasty cheese

Grease 12 Texan muffin pans (3/4 cup, capacity). Heat oil in pan, add onion, cook, stirring, until very soft; cool. Sift flour into large bowl.

Add onion mixture, dry soup mix, stock cube, sugar, herbs, Parmesan cheese and chicken, mix well. Add buttermilk, stir until combined. Spoon mixture into prepared pans, sprinkle with tasty cheese.

Bake in moderate oven about 45 minutes or until muffins are browned and cooked through.

cookessentials, Aug 16, 4:23am
WARM BRIE CHEESE WITH GARLIC AND TOMATO

I do this with the larger wheel of brie ( or camembert) But I also do the smaller one which I bake in my brie baker. It is so tasty on crusty bread accompianied by a nice glass of wine.

1 large wheel of brie or camembert cheese
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup chopped semi dried tomatoes
4-5 large basil leaves, finely shredded
salt and pepper
crusty baguette

Preheat oven 180C or 160C (fan-forced) and cut two large pieces of foil that will wrap around the cheese.

Slice cheese in half lengthways, so that you end up with 2 large circles.
Position the foil in a cross formation and place onto a flat baking tray. Sit the base of the cheese in the centre.

Crush one of the garlic cloves and mix with the tomatoes and basil. Spread mixture evenly over the cut surface of the cheese and place lid on the top.

Lightly score the top of the cheese and sprinkle with salt and pepper and wrap tightly in foil.

Bake 20 minutes; remove from oven and place onto a timber board. Pull back the foil and serve with chunks of crusty bread

gerry64, Aug 16, 4:46am
Am going to give the garlic and tomato one a try - sounds yummy for sure

kay141, Aug 16, 5:00am
Just the cheese for me, please. No need to add anything especially if it is from Evansdale.

geldof, Aug 16, 5:03am
I hope I'm allowed to post this.
It has a copyright on it, but I am posting the author.

Have really been enjoying these
Cheesy Olive Pastries
Recipe ©copyright Julie Le Clerc 2012

Makes 30

225g Alpine grated tasty cheese
1 1/4 cups plain flour
Pinch cayenne pepper
Pinch salt
1/2 cup olive oil
30 Euro-Dell stuffed green olives
1 Combine cheese, flour, salt and cayenne in a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add oil to the well and stir briefly to combine into a soft dough.

2 Divide pastry into even-sized pieces. Mould one piece of pastry around each olive to cover and enclose. Chill for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 200°C.

3 Place olive pastries on an oven tray and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and firm. Serve warm.

cookessentials, Aug 16, 5:08am
I can assure you, it's delicious. Great over Summer with a nice glass of chilled wine.

gerry64, Aug 16, 5:38am
cant wait for summer cookes !

evorotorua, Aug 16, 6:03am
sorry but I HAVE to add. toasted vogels, butter, peanut butter and tasty cheese. Vary quantities to suit your taste and how close it is to dinner time!

lx4000, Aug 16, 7:13am
Cheese Muffins/Puffs

2 eggs
water
1 C Grated Cheese
1 C veggies (I use corn onion with tomato and cheese on top)

pinch Salt
2 C Flour
3 tspn BP
1/4 - 1/2 tspn Cayenne Pepper if wished

Break eggs into 1 measuring Cup
then fill with water to make 1 cup,

then add another 1 C water. Mix.

Add veggies and cheese then mix.

Stir in salt, flour, cayenne pepper, BP until just mixed.

Spoon into muffin tins.

20 mins approx at 180.

dress the tops before cooking to make them look kid yummy!

These are great as you can add anything you like to them. They freeze well too and just zap in microbe to warm. Eat as is or add butter and chutney etc:)

dixiechicks, Aug 16, 11:10pm
Cheese, Egg and Tomato Pie

Hardboil 6 eggs and cut lengthwise, put in a greased ovenproof dish.Boil approx 6 potatoes, slice and lay over eggs.Peel and slice tomatoes and lay over potatoes.Make cheese sauce and pour over.Decorate with sliced tomatoes and grated cheese - enjoy!

A family favourite!

gerry64, Aug 16, 11:31pm
dixiechicks that sounds simply yum -

cookessentials, Aug 16, 11:56pm
And quick too!

arrowmax, Aug 17, 12:39am
I make these often - and have varied the "filling", using pesto or tomato relish.

Cheeseymite Biscuits

1 ½ c flour
1 tsp mustard powder
125g butter
1 c grated tasty cheese
½ c evaporated milk (I used lite)
vegemite

· Stir the mustard and flour together and rub in butter
· Stir in the cheese
· Stir in the evaporated milk with a knife to make a firm dough
· Roll out dough into a large rectangle. Spread the dough with a thin layer of vegemite and fold in half
· Cut into strips, twist once or twice and place on baking tray
Bake at 200c for 12 minutes or until golden brown

indy95, Aug 17, 12:44am
Geldof, there is usually no problem with posting recipes as long as you acknowledge the source as you have done.

phoenix10111, Aug 17, 1:39am
Cook - what do you do withthe 2nd half of the cheese! do you put that on top of the 2nd layer of pastry! Or am I being dim and missing something :)

cookessentials, Aug 17, 1:41am
Oops. sorry. parmesan on the top LOL

cookessentials, Aug 17, 2:37am
HAM & CHEESE SCONES

2 cups self-raising flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
60ggrated tasty cheese
4 slices ham, finely chopped
15g butter
250mlmilk, approximately

Grease 20cm round cake pan. Sift flour and sugar into bowl, stir in cheese and ham. Rub in butter, stir in enough milk to mix to a soft sticky dough. Turn dough onto floured surface, knead lightly until smooth. Press dough out to about 2.5cm thickness, cut into 5cm rounds. Place scones into prepared pan, brush with a little extra milk. Bake at 240C for about 15 minutes.

cookessentials, Aug 17, 2:40am
MEXICAN CHEESE DIP

2-3 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium brown onion, chopped finely
1 red capsicum, chopped finely
2 long green chillies, deseeded & chopped finely
2 tablespoons green pickled jalapeno chillies, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 x 400g can diced tomatoes (alternatively use 500g fresh tomatoes; peeled de-seeded & diced)
250g packet cream cheese, softened and roughly chopped
150g cheddar cheese, grated
sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
coriander sprigs to garnish

Heat oil in a medium size saucepan, add onion and cook until soft.

Add capsicum, green chillies, jalapeno and garlic and cook further 1-2 minutes.

Add tomatoes, bring to a simmer and cook further 2-3 minutes.

Reduce heat. Whisk in cheese, until cheese melts. Remove from heat. Season lightly.
Serve warm with tortilla or corn chips. Garnish with fresh coriander.

geldof, Aug 17, 2:45am
Thanks Indy95.I am never quite sure.

cookessentials, Aug 19, 11:13pm
EGG & PASTA BAKE

250g small pasta (such as macaroni)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
100g mild salami, chopped
3 zucchini, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1/4cup chopped basil
6 eggs
2 cups milk (or half milk, half cream)
11/2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 20cm x 30cm slice tin with baking paper.

Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and set aside.

Heat oil in a medium sized saucepan. Add onions and cook until soft. Add salami and zucchini and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir through garlic, parsley and basil.

Beat eggs and milk together. Season well. Stir through zucchini mixture, pasta and half the quantity of cheese.

Pour mixture into pan and sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 40 minutes.

rainrain1, Aug 19, 11:48pm
what delicious recipes,