Cheese making

angel404, Aug 29, 5:49am
Do you HAVE to pasteurize the milk! (im using raw)

buzzy110, Aug 29, 6:14am
No. Commercial cheese is pasteurised because it is law. European cheeses that have not been pasteurised are highly prized.

angel404, Aug 29, 6:46am
Ok phew. I really didn't wanna ruin the milk. Nom Nom Nom cant wait to make some feta this weekend!

vmax2, Aug 29, 6:58am
Also raw milk gives the cheese more depth of flavour angel.Compare a shop cheese with your own and there's no comparison.

harrislucinda, Aug 29, 6:59am
howcanyouruinthemilkasonlyheating to thetemp theysay
i havejustmadequarkandgoudabothturnedoutgreat

vmax2, Aug 29, 7:01am
Pasteurising tends to standardise the flavour.Tastes quite boring compared to raw milk cheese.

angel404, Aug 29, 7:14am
What vmax said coz i want real yumo cheese and also heating it to above 40degrees C will kill off enzymes.

angel404, Sep 14, 4:27am
So anyway I'm making up a batch of camembert. I need to keep it at 10degrees C for a month. How do i maintain that!!

valentino, Sep 14, 4:39am
Simply keep it near the bottom of your fridge should suffice, I always do but ensure it is well wrapped either in foil or cheese paper.

Cheers

harrislucinda, Sep 14, 4:42am
you shouldhavewatchcheeseslicestodayonchoice tvtheymadethat
going tostartgoudasaturday

valentino, Sep 14, 4:43am
Next time try a combination of blue and white.

Just gives that uniqueness of a bit of blue within.

The best cheese to do is a brie especially around 200mm in diametre.

Also a Blue Stilton type cheese is quite easy and more rewarding.

harrislucinda, Sep 14, 4:46am
justcheckedmybookandsaysin thebottomoffridgeandplace acutappleto helpraise thehumidityand can becoveredin waxpaperoncethesurfaceiscoveredin whitemould

angel404, Sep 14, 4:47am
Ok thanks guys. I have cheese paper so will wrap with that.

vmax2, Sep 14, 4:58am
I put mine in the coldest bedroom in the house on a rack to drain any remaining whey and then covered in a large cloth to keep the flies out.Works well.Not enough room in my fridge with lots of milk, yoghurt, sauerkraut, cheese etc.

angel404, Sep 14, 6:54am
Thats what im thinking aye - got a 5 litre container of milk in there at the moment so the fridge is chocca. Im sure Ill work something out! eekkk hopefully!

vmax2, Sep 14, 7:36am
I have had flies in my cheese in the bedroom and then maggots, yuk.So now I'm very careful that I put a huge cloth over the top of the cheese and wrap it right around.

angel404, Sep 14, 7:50am
In my instructions it tells me to keep it in an airtight (but moist) box and open it a few times a week to let air in. Hopefully this should prevent maggots from showing up! eeww!

vmax2, Sep 14, 9:32am
I use the roasting dish which has a rack in it and then put a plastic 'cake tin' over the top to cover it and create the condensation.I thought that would be enough but those flies are sneaky.

harrislucinda, Sep 14, 11:07am
one ofmybookssaysachillieboxto storecheesein

valentino, Sep 14, 10:01pm
I have an inbuilt Fire and is oine of the best places to place cheeses for that initial time before the fridge.
It is the closest I can think of replicating a cave, LOL.

Yep, chilly bin is good. put one or two wee containers of water then a folded Sushi Roll mat above then the cheeses then into a coldish darkish spot.

I think the biggest thing with Camenbert cheese is "not to make them big" if too big then it can get a little messy if not done right, and by personal experience - straight into the fridge and to rotate - air it - reseal process over a few weeks,hopes this helps.

Editing to add that Flies do not like the colder areas, one of the very good reasons with "Heat Pumps" during the summer hot days - no flies around.
Cheers.

angel404, Sep 15, 3:26am
Well currently my cheeses are in a "sistema" snaplock container - its just on the bench atm.

fogs, Sep 16, 12:29pm
My maturing cheeses are all waxed cheddar,flavoured cheddars,parmesan,havarti,goud-
a maasdam, swiss nad kept i the garage where it is cool.my camemberts,bries and stiltons are kept in a spare fridge that sits at about 7degrees .So far they have all turn out great