What went Wrong? I made a steam pudding -

elsielaurie1, Aug 28, 8:56am
I halved the recipe as it was for 8-10 people - too big for just the 2 of us. As I didn't have a large enough bowl I placed 1/2 the mix into 2 well-buttered bowls, not metal but crockery ones, into saucepans of simmering water. I kept the water continually simmering for 2hours, not the 2-3 hours as I figured being smaller quantities they shouldn't take so long to cook. I kept topping up the water with boiling water when needed. Although they seem to be cooked they haven't risen one jot! Any theories, suggestions or hints for the next time!

245sam, Aug 28, 9:21am
elsielaurie1, after all the TLC you gave the puds while they cooked, a very disappointing outcome for you.Was the recipe one you have successfully used previously or a new one that you tried for the first time! Would you like to share the recipe so that we can see a reason why your puddings "seem to be cooked they haven't risen one jot!" because the only other thoughts I have are re the raising agent(s) - what/which ones!
Maybe it's a dumb question (I certainly don't mean to offend you) but did you remember to put the raising agent(s) into the mixture or.another thought, if you did use baking powder - have you had any other problems with your baking when using that batch of baking powder!

Not exactly any solutions for you, sorry about that, but your no-rise puddings seem to be a mystery.:-))

elsielaurie1, Aug 28, 9:43am
Here is the recipe, from the BBC.goodfoods.com
7-cup Christmas pudding

A classic light, spiced Christmas pudding - so simple you don't even need any kitchen scales

5 stars 10 ratings

Tested

Easy

Serves 8 - 10

Prep 2 hrs 45 mins - 3 hrs
Including steaming
Vegetarian Freezable

Vegetarian

Ingredients

1 cup raisins
1 cup sultanas
1 cup self-raising flour
1 cup finely grated butter (about 115g/4oz)
1 cup fresh brown breadcrumbs (from around 4 thick slices of bread)
1 cup light muscovado sugar
1 cup mixed nuts , chopped plus extra to decorate
1.0 tsp ground cinnamon
1.0 tsp groud mixed spice
1 cup milk
1 large egg
butter, for greasing

Method

For the pudding, empty the first six cups and the nuts, if using, into a mixing bowl with the spices, then stir in the milk and egg. Once well combined, tip into a buttered 1.5 litre pudding bowl.
Cover with a double layer of buttered foil, making a pleat in the centre to allow the pudding to rise. Tie the foil securely with string, then place in a steamer or large pan containing enough gently simmering water to come halfway up the sides of the bowl. Steam, covered with a lid, for 21⁄2 hours. Check the water level during cooking, topping up if necessary. If you are preparing this pudding ahead, remove the foil, let it cool slightly, then wrap in cling film and then fresh foil. If you are serving it immediately, unwrap and invert onto a deep plate.

Sounds yummy - but didn't 'look' like the photo shown at all.:-{

245sam, Aug 28, 10:26am
Thanks for posting the recipe elsielaurie1.
Personally I would not expect the pudding(s) to rise significantly, if at all - IMO there is way too little raising agent to have much effect along with all the fruit, nuts, etc., however I would expect the pudding(s) to be fruity, moist and nicely spiced without being too spicey and with using the self-raising flour to have just enough lightness that prevented the puddings from being heavy.
Re the photo - I wonder if the pudding had been titivated for the picture!

Now a Q for you - while the puddings didn't appear as you expected, have you done the taste test on them and how did that rate!:-))

elsielaurie1, Aug 28, 8:50pm
Your reply makes good sense, regarding the amount of rising agent in ratio to the other ingredients.it does seem a bit small! I've never made many puddings of this type, perhaps a dozen or 2, but not in recent years. If I do make it again, I have made a note of your comment along side the recipe, as a reminder.It tasted quite nice, very dense but I thought a bit too much butter.still trying for that 'perfect' dark Christmas pudding. And it doesn't help when trying to lose weight as well!

buzzy110, Aug 29, 12:06am
Not simmering water. The water has to be boiling and kept just on the boil throughout the entire process. Any old recipe will work just so long as you keep the water boiling. That has been my experience anyway and also any books that are into that type of recipes (my 1970's Women's Weekly cookery books, for example) all say the same thing.

sarahb5, Aug 29, 9:31pm
I haven't made Christmas pudding for years but my recipe was always a pretty dark mix and included grated carrot and Guinness to mix it with.I also used suet instead of butter - it provides the fat you need but not the "richness".In this country I think it is called Shreddo which is vegetable shortening but does the same as suet.

245sam, Aug 29, 9:45pm
Correction re Shreddo - In front of me is a tub of Shreddo which I have taken from the freezer.Shreddo is not a vegetable shortening - it is 81% suet and suet is animal fat (beef or mutton), especially the hard fat found around the loins and kidneys.
The following is Shreddo's actual ingredients list: "Suet (81%) [contains antioxidant 306], Food Acid [330], Rice Flour.Ingredients contain soy products".:-))

sarahb5, Aug 29, 9:54pm
Thanks - I've never actually bought any in this country as I don't make Christmas puddings any more.In the UK you can actually buy vegetarian suet which I what I used to use.