Vanilla extract / essence / pods etc

Page 1 / 2
tarshlove, Aug 16, 2:00am
Which is the best to buy iyo I have tried so many, most a really expensive but sill don't give that huge burst of flavour. Help me find a good one please.

245sam, Aug 16, 2:45am
tarshlove, I haven't personally used this trader's products yet but have a look at willyow's listings.
:-))

cookessentials, Aug 16, 3:54am
I never use essence, which is basically a lab made chemical "flavouring" I always use extract and for me, I use the Madagascan vanilla extract and paste, Madagascar is the world's largest producer of fine bourbon vanilla
( which does not mean the drink!)

iman007, Aug 16, 4:25am
i bought 3 pods from foodstuffs yesterday, from memory $5 and they are gilmours brand.Think last time i saw in supermarket $15!

carlosjackal, Aug 16, 4:40am
I use vanilla pods which I buy from Moore Wilsons simply because they are nice and fat and come in a well sealed container. Otherwise I use 'Equagold' Pure Vanilla Extract which I think can be purchased from most supermarkets.

rumpelstiltskin, Aug 16, 7:00am
The Heilala vanilla paste is also very good. They have a website and you can find it in specialty food stores too.

tarshlove, Aug 16, 3:06pm
Thanks guys ive been using vanilla bean paste mostly but i bake every 2nd to 3rd day so its getting expensive

willyow, Aug 16, 5:44pm
Why are people plugging vanillabrands and productsthat are NOT sold on Trademe, when people who sell similar products on Trademe are forbidden frommentioning they sell them on Trademe.

willyow, Aug 16, 5:51pm
At last - some sensible advice!

cookessentials, Aug 16, 6:50pm
Maybe read the Trademe rules, that might give you the answer you require. Thousands of people recommend many products all over Trademe boards. Plenty of people will give out auction numbers or suggest looking on Trademe, including one of the posters above, so not quite sure the problem is.

willyow, Aug 16, 7:14pm
Pamela - I note you sell Nielsen-Massey Madagascan Vanilla Extract 59mlon your online store and seem quite happy to mention that you use it on these boards every time vanilla extract comes up. Isn't that self promotion!

indy95, Aug 17, 1:27am
Tarshlove, I have tried many vanilla products during my years of baking and have learned to avoid artificial essences like the plague. I use caster sugar for some of my baking and usually have a jar containing about a kilo with 2 or 3 vanilla pods buried in the sugar in my pantry. I also keep a bottle of pure vanilla extract which I use regularly and I find that I need to add only about half the quantity stated in recipes.
There is a well-known Australian brand of vanilla products which is stocked by most supermarkets. I have tried some of the range but found everything had the "artificial" taste I dislike so much.
I should also add that the quality of vanilla pods available varies greatly and the bestI have found were purchased from a TM trader, not that I am mentioning any names, of course!

hails1, Aug 17, 1:29am
I put pods in a bottle and fill with vodka.3 months it devine.its all i have used for years.

buzzy110, Aug 17, 1:31am
Do you have a recipe for Vanilla Scent!

indy95, Aug 17, 1:34am
I have a jar of brandy with several pods in it stashed at the back of a dark cupboard. It has been there for 3 months and I am going to start using it soon to see how it compares with bought extract.

cookessentials, Aug 17, 1:37am
Wilson, where I have I eve mentioned the name of the vanilla product here! I actually DO use madagascan vanilla etxract at home and have done for many years, way before i had an online store or shop. The only one promoting me is you! Your posts #8 and #9 show self promotion in a "round about" way. I am not sure what your beef is, because sam, very kindly mentioned that you sell it here on tradme so go figure!

tarshlove, Aug 22, 11:09pm
Which brand do you use!

annie.nz, Aug 22, 11:15pm
I've tried them all, and these are the ones I've ended up using:

Hansells Natural Vanilla Extract with seeds - this is good for cakes with other strong flavourings such as chocolate, and NZ style baking.Also cheapest.

Nielsen-Massy Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract - nice flavour, good in baking.I tend to use it in baking where vanilla is the only flavour.Don't splosh in extra though, it's strong.

Heilala pure vanilla extract - this is the most delicate of the vanillas I have tried, and is really lovely in cream or desserts with very light vanilla flavouring.It really is lovely, but is overpowered in baking.

I don't bother with the vanilla pod thing any more unless making moulded custards.

tarshlove, Aug 22, 11:25pm
would adding a smaller amount of the Heilala pure vanilla extract be ok like a couple of drops in baking! Where do you get this from!

carlosjackal, Aug 23, 1:06am
Here's why: (copied and pasted from the Message Board rules)
No commercial use or self-promotion
Over-posting or spamming of the message board ruins it for others. The message board is for open discussion only, so please don't advertise any auction, product, or service. This includes trying to facilitate a trade through the message boards (including wanted postings).

indy95, Aug 23, 1:49am
Like annienz I use Hansells Natural Extract with seeds for most baking e.g. chocolate or other things with a strong flavour. I have used Heilala in the past but if I need just a light vanilla flavouring I now find my vanilla-infused caster sugar is usually strong enough without the need to add anything else.
I rarely make custards or any milk-based puddings now but when I do I sometimes just put a pod which has had the seeds scraped out into the milk while it is heating and let it infuse for a while.

willyow, Aug 23, 9:04am
How much are you paying for these!

carlosjackal, Aug 23, 9:41am
If my memory serves me right, $20 +I need to get some for so when I do, I'll pop back and let you know. The Equigold pure vanilla extract was recommended in a segment of NZ Masterchef and so was Pure Vanilla Paste. The Equigold pure vanilla extract is PURE VANILLA and I always have some on hand as Vanilla pods don't always serve the purpose you wantt vanilla for (if that makes sense!!)

willyow, Aug 23, 9:54am
I'm not sure what is in the Hansells onebut it tastes nothing like the real vanilla extracts on the market from other suppliers - I note they use the word 'natural' rather than 'pure' which suggests maybe they usevanillin extracted from woodpulp - most of which originatesin Canada. They can call that 'natural' but not 'pure vanilla'The seeds perhaps are there to create an impression.

willyow, Aug 23, 10:01am
I just looked at bottle of the Hansells one ( ihave every brand on the market on my shelf)- ingredients include 'natural vanillin extract, vanilla seeds,"+invert sugar, and alcohol (12%).

Note that by law inthe United States you cannot call a product 'vanilla extract' unless it contains 35% alcohol.

The Aussie Queenextract has only a little alcohol (6.9% but includes vanilla beans in itsingredients). Other extracts made in NZand sold in NZ all have 35%alc and appear to be made to the American standard -and tastemuch better by comparison - probably because they are real, also using the term vanilla pod or vanilla bean in the ingredients list).