Alternative cooked breakfasts

Page 3 / 3
sarahb5, Aug 26, 8:57pm
#6 and #9

sarahb5, Aug 26, 9:02pm
Thank you for that - I couldn't find the info on their website.I shop online so don't get to read labels in the supermarket often - will give the Hendersons a try at the weekend for Father's Day breakfast if I can find it.I thought they had online at Countdown but can't see it there now.

When/if I do buy bacon (other than chicken bacon) I buy it from the deli mainly because it doesn't shrink away to nothing when you grill it and I don't like packet bacon because very often with all the advertising on the packet you can't actually see what you're buying anyway.

toadfish, Aug 26, 9:33pm
Thats what I like about Ryans, the back is just transparent plastic, so I rummage around until i find ones with a nice big lean eye and less fat, and that seems to run through the whole packet.I guess thats not an option if you shop on line.

cookessentials, Aug 26, 9:47pm
For those of you who like bacon, take a look at this idea.you will have to scroll down a little to see it.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/BelmondosFreshFoodMarket

wayneandjudith, Aug 29, 5:08am
Here's a link to an article which comments on the "eggs as bad as smoking article" - very interesting! http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/08/27/eating-eggs.aspx!e_cid=20120827_DNL_artNew_1

bambi58, Aug 29, 1:31pm
All bacon is not created equal! I'm darned if I'm going to pay an outrageous price for bacon from these places who say they haven't got all the nasties in their product.
The fact is that they have, and unless you actually cure your bacon yourself, you won't get anything else. The way it's processed, it has to have some nitrate or similar sustance to get past the regulations.
If the bacon is done well it won't have fillers in it, usually soy, which show as pinkish patches through the bacon. Also, a lot of the cheap stuff is full of water to make it heavier, so you're actually paying for water! That's why they splatter so badly sometimes.
I know this as I've been living with a butcher for years.

daisyhill, Aug 30, 3:47am
That reminds me of one time I was browsing in a cheap-and-nasty grocery store (Iceland) in the UK while I waited for a friend. They had chicken fillets in the freezer that were actually labelled, "With extra water for added succulence." I couldn't believe my eyes! Sadly their target market probably thinks that is a good thing.

angel404, Aug 30, 8:40am
How come you buy chicken bacon! Does it taste just like pork bacon!

sarahb5, Aug 30, 8:59pm
What do you mean "how come"!Yes it tastes like a chicken version of bacon and we like it.I'm also doing WW and it's lower in points.

mwood, Aug 31, 12:50am
I like fish (any) as the base ingredient for a cooked breakfast.

suzanna, Aug 31, 2:32am
I have just 'discovered' this bacon and it would be the best bacon I've had for years in fact I prefer it over Havoc and it is much more cost effective.

davidt4, Aug 31, 2:42am
Henderson's Free Range Dry Cured bacon is great.I wish they would slice it a little thicker though.