Alternative cooked breakfasts

Page 2 / 3
angel404, Aug 24, 7:13am
I believe you may be correct in thinking that we differ in how we regard healthy. To me I took healthy to mean chemical free etc. Low fat doesn't make it healthier. You can cook the living daylights out of bacon to get rid of the fat but the nitrites will still remain - they are way worse for you than any fat will be. But if it is low fat she wants then bacon probably isn't a good option.

cookessentials, Aug 24, 7:29am
Where did I say that in this thread! The FAQ are for your info in regards to nitrates and other nasties

timturtle, Aug 24, 7:57am
Here Cooks !

cookessentials, Aug 24, 8:55am
That is not what I meant above, i meant where did I saythat it is real food only if you bought freedom famrs bacon! The link was to provide information on the nitrates and other items in most bacon.

timturtle, Aug 24, 9:07am
Sorry I didn't read that post, that way

puddleduck00, Aug 24, 10:30am
Anyone can do it. It doesn't have to be "home kill" per say. You get a few people together and buy a pig and get it butchered and made into various things like bacon. I pay $10 for a kilo or real bacon by doing this way. It's about bypassing greedy pricks - I encourage more people to do so. It takes very little effort.

puddleduck00, Aug 24, 10:34am
I'm sure you can do this for other types of meat too. People need to start thinking outside the square instead of being sucked in by greedy supermarkets.

kinna54, Aug 24, 10:42am
I am not a great fan of any fried foods.not because of any healthy thing, I just can't face fried eggs in the morning.
I like nothing better than a bowl of nice fresh fruits, with a bit of sweetened natural yoghurt, I find it quite filling.
I also lovewaffles or buttermilk pancakes *occasionally*too. I am a believer of "all things in moderation", certainly no harm in having a treat once in a while.

motorbo, Aug 24, 3:12pm
spanish frittata, brown sliced poptatoes on butter and oil, add some fresh chopped rosemary and the your eggs whipped up,, cook then carefully flip it to cook other side or uder the grill.serously good do not leave out the rosemary it adds to it

trinity888, Aug 24, 8:10pm

amazing_grace, Aug 24, 8:50pm
My suggestions are:

Grilled Tomatoes: slice the tomatoes in half, sprinkle with fresh rosemary, salt and pepper and spray with cooking oil.Grill till almost falling apart and nice and browned on top.

Mushrooms:Choose larger flat mushrooms, fill the centres with a bit of sour cream and sprinkle on some grated cheese.Bake in a hot oven about 10 mins till all browned.

Hot Pikelets

Hot Pancakes

Hot Fruit Sticks:On a skewer assembe pineapple, banana, and any other fruit you fancy.Sprinkle with a bit of brown sugar, grill till browned

sarahb5, Aug 24, 10:24pm
Your post #5 in this thread

norse_westie, Aug 24, 11:52pm
We dont eat bacon because I also dont consider it a real or worthwhile food. But how about scrambled eggs, poached eggs or omlette - healthy enough and nice. Or waffles, french toast or pancakes!

bedazzledjewels, Aug 25, 10:09pm
Have just had some Havoc Farms free range streaky bacon - outstanding.
Bacon is justa weekend food for me and I'm making the switch from Freedom to Havoc.

cookessentials, Aug 25, 10:26pm
Pays to actually read the thread I would suggest you read my post after timturtles. I do not class bacon as real food due to it's nitrates and other nasties. If you actually READ my post, you would see that I gave a link to Freedom Farms FAQ page for you to read. I was not suggesting that only freedom farms bacon was REAL food at all! The FAQ are in regards to the additives in bacon and bacon products which, IMO makes it not REAL food. Not confusing at all. See post#29

sarahb5, Aug 26, 12:15am
I have read the whole thread but at the time I could only base my question on your answer at #5 which provided no explanation and which is why my question appears straight after your statement.Subsequent posts have clarified why you don't think bacon is real food but then linking to the Freedom Farms page certainly looked like you were saying their's was the only "real food" bacon which seems contradictory.Also, I am at a loss to find the word "nitrate" on the Freedom Farms FAQs so apart from now knowing that their piggies live on beds of straw and the only water they use is in the curing brine I still haven't learnt much about nitrates in bacon.

Anyway, now that you have once again successfully hijacked a thread and made it all about you I suppose that's the only thing that really matters though.

bedazzledjewels, Aug 26, 12:31am
Nitrates do appear naturally in food too, although I agree that you need to watch how much processed meat you consume overall.

sarahb5, Aug 26, 12:36am
Do you know how they cure their bacon!I was just looking at the NZ Woman's Weekly website telling you how to cure your own to avoid nitrates which uses salt which is fine (not sure how else you could cure meat) so is curing your own bacon really any better if you can't be sure where the pork came from, etc!Given that I only eat an extremely minimal amount of bacon these days it's probably not worth getting my knickers in a knot about but now I've started reading up on it the information is very conflicting.

vmax2, Aug 26, 1:04am
Dry cured, manuka smoked, salt and brown sugar are on the list of ingredients for Hendersons bacon.I have to trust that the ingredient list is correct.When you compare Hendersons bacon with other bacon you see the difference.There are many more ingredients in other bacons.Hendersons is simple and beautiful.

kiwibubbles, Aug 26, 1:17am
crumpets topped with sliced banana and maple syrup - soooo simple and so delicious.

and I agree with Hendersons bacon - omg it is SO good seriously

griffo4, Aug 26, 1:31am
l am having bacon and eggs every morning at present but l am on a farm and working but l lightly oil a pan and take off the fat from the bacon and cook it and have an egg from my hens with my sour dough bread, keeps me going for hours

toadfish, Aug 26, 5:04am
Ouch.Thats a bit harsh

Anywhoooo my wee bit of advice as I tend to opt for lower fat options.I have found a cool way to get the taste without the fat.I buy a big pack of Ryans I think it is, middle bacon - often on special. They have beautiful large lean "Eye" Pieces.I trim off the rind and usually cook those for 3 very spoiled cats.Then I chop up the streaky for scones and pizza, if we arn't having them that weekend i freeze in tupperware - it breaks up almost freeflow if you freeze it loosly packed.Then that leaves a lovely lean tasty eye.

That cooked with Scrambled Eggs, tomatoes & mushrooms. You can even bake a potatoe in the microwave and slice in 1cm slices and do those on the grill as well. Baked Beans are good - don't need alot to get the taste.
Very successful on the BBQ - hubby used to fry the eggs as well but nowadays we prefer scrambled. with wholegrain toast.

Or my personal favourite - I have a good non stick pan - fry the eye peice, fry an egg - yolk broken and serve in a fresh roll - don't need to butter the roll if its fresh and a wee bit of heinz tomatoe sauce is my tipple - I often have this after my walk.

daisyhill, Aug 26, 8:48am
This is very similar to the chachouka recipe that I had for breakfast this morning, using this River Cottage recipe:
http://www.handtomouthblog.com/river-cottage-chachouka/

It uses crushed garlic, smoked paprika and cumin seeds instead of theherbs and spices mentioned above. The smoked paprika gives it a really delicious tang. This is now my default lazy-indulgent-weekend breakfast and it is actually very healthy compared to a fry, but tastes better too in my opinion:-)

cookessentials, Aug 26, 10:03am
Oh dear.how rude ( and extremely childish) I made a comment that I dont consider bacon "real food" and you have continued to go on and on about it, so no high jacking at all, apart from you going on and on about it LOL. Read post #18, then your reaction a few posts later at #27. The OP has asked for some healthy alternatives which I have given. What alternatives have you given so far!

willyow, Aug 26, 8:16pm
The pre-packed bacon is alwaysvery watery and has things in it you probably shouldn't be eating.If you get you bacon from the deli part of the supermarket you pay a bit more - but you are not paying for water, and it doesn't cook down like the watery pre-packed ones, so probably doesn't cost any more in the end.We often buy Long Flat bacon at local markets - highlyrecommended. They also do one that isn't smokedwhich sells mainly to our cousins who have come here from England, but we like it too.