Alternative cooked breakfasts

Page 1 / 3
squimage, Aug 24, 12:47am
We always have cooked, fried breakfasts on the weekend. Bacon, eggs, hash browns etc,Am now on a healthy eating plan and need some ideas.We are not fans of cereals etc!

kirmag, Aug 24, 12:51am
scrambled eggs or omelettes with mushrooms, onion, ham, cheese in it

vmax2, Aug 24, 12:53am
Nothing wrong with bacon and eggs - real food!I have lots of different things for breakfast.If there's any leftovers I will heat that up.Often I have soup.Cold meat and salad.Yoghurt fruit and nuts.Leftover fruit crumble with whipped cream.

kabbo, Aug 24, 1:13am
love it,:=)

cookessentials, Aug 24, 1:47am
You could do a nice fritatta with eggs and tomato, onion etc. I wouldn't class bacon as real food but it is nice as an occasional treat.

sarahb5, Aug 24, 1:50am
Why don't you class bacon as real food!

You can substitute your existing bacon with Tegel chicken bacon OP and swap your hash brown for grilled tomato and/or mushrooms, change your fried egg for poached, etc.Nothing wrong with a cooked breakfast but if we have a cooked breakfast it becomes brunch really because we would then only have something light for lunch so it evens out over the day.

squimage, Aug 24, 1:52am
Oh yeah I forgot about chicken bacon

frances1266, Aug 24, 1:54am
Something I have been meaning to try is tofu scramble.It sounds good and many vegans seem to love it.Much like scrambled eggs but has a few spices and things like mushrooms, tomato etc added.Healthier than eggs.
Eggs 3 times a week are as bad as smoking according to media a week or so ago.

sarahb5, Aug 24, 1:57am
And the sausages aren't too bad as far as fat content goes either - by comparison with "real" sausages - grill them rather than fry them as well, same with the bacon - just have more "breakfast" veggies to fill your plate up and stay away from orange juice to go with it because it's loaded with sugar.

We don't often have a cooked breakfast unless we go out but we do have different weekend breakfasts after the fruit and cereal during the week - nice to have a change

valentino, Aug 24, 1:57am
Breakfast should always have something of some form of nourishment, it kick starts the day when later on fruits etc are more beneficial.

Some bacon but well cooked, eggs with smaller yolks, snarlers like the smaller varieties are always good but not to be overdone in quantity.

Wholemeal Toasts without the butter should always be at breakfast, and as cookes says bacon etc are then like wee treats.

Even a good old piping hot Poached egg with the wee yolk still a bit runny (not fully cooked as in being like a piece of solid matter) on toast is quite yummy.

Cheers

Editing to add, be wary how you fry foods, that is what you use.

sarahb5, Aug 24, 1:58am
Depends which articles you read - one week eggs are bad, next week they're OK

vmax2, Aug 24, 2:18am
There is no harm in bacon if it doesn't have all the nasties in it.I buy Hendersons bacon.It has just a bit of raw sugar in it.

valentino, Aug 24, 2:20am
Even Baked Beans on Toast with a little bit of chopped bacon is lovely or those smaller breakfast type sausages.

puddleduck00, Aug 24, 2:22am
Bacon from the supermarket is nasty. It shrinks and is absolutely full of rubbish and is bulked up with water. I get homekill bacon and it doesn't shrink.

cgvl, Aug 24, 2:46am
we do bacon and eggs most mornings BUT I grill the bacon until crisp (no fat left) and we have either poached or scrambled eggs and in summer I add grilled tomatoes as well. Occasionally will do mushrooms but as DH doesn't eat them its not often.
We very very rarely will do a Fry-up, usually only if I am doing left over vegies to go with the bacon, eg potato or mashed left overs. (probably once in 6 -12 months).

cookessentials, Aug 24, 3:53am
Spanish Eggs

2 onions diced
1/2 teaspoon chilli
4 capsicum grilled and peeled
6 Roma tomatoes grilled and peeled
Tin of chopped tomatoes
6 - 8 eggs (as per your preference)
Oregano
Fresh Basil
Paprika
Salt & Pepper

Preheat oven to 180C on fan forced cooking function
In a fry pan on low heat, saute onion with some of the basil, chillies and oregano. Add sliced capsicum and grilled tomatoes
Add tinned tomatoes and simmer for 15- 20 minutes on a low to medium heat
If needed, you can add some water to make it sauce less 'thick'
Add paprika, salt and pepper
Spray a baking dish (very well) with oil and spread a layer of the sauce over the base
With a spoon - make little holes in the sauce for the eggs to rest in
Crack the eggs and place gently in the sauce with a space of sauce in between
Sprinkle with paprika, salt and pepper and add more basil if desired
Bake for 15 - 20 minutes

angel404, Aug 24, 4:01am
Chicken bacon is just as bad as pork bacon. Hendersons bacon is the way to go. Chemical free.

cookessentials, Aug 24, 4:07am

sossie1, Aug 24, 4:19am
Copied from a place we went to for breakfast. Had to guess ingredients.

beware, calorie overload.

Chorizo, sliced.
Mushrooms, sliced.

Fry in butter, with garlic.

add cream, pepper, salt to taste,add loads of paprika.

perfect with posh toasted bread.

duckmoon, Aug 24, 6:16am
One egg, mushroom, tomato halved,

Pancake with lots of fruit

sarahb5, Aug 24, 6:28am
Apart from the fact that chicken bacon has minimal fat by comparison with most and doesn't shrink away to nothing when you grill it .OP was asking for healthier (by which I understood she meant lower fat) alternatives to the bacon and egg they're currently having.

sarahb5, Aug 24, 6:32am
But earlier you said you didn't consider bacon to be real food - have you now decided that it is but only if you buy this particular "brand"!I'm confused .

buzzy110, Aug 24, 6:33am
I always have a salad for b/f and it always has a fermented vegetable in it, such as whey fermented carrot sticks or sauerkraut and, when I have it in stock, preserved raw lemons. The whole lot is tossed in olive oil and a small amount of cod liver oil and sprinkled with celtic sea salt.

To that we add eggs done anyway we please. At the moment it is a two egg mushroom and onion (pre cooked in a little ghee) omelette, stuffed with fresh, raw spinach and sliced coloured (not green) capsicum.

Serve it with slices of avocado and tomato on top. Yummo.

But sometimes we just have fresh fish, raw marinated fish or a small piece of steak instead. And now that I make my own cultured cream, a dollop of homemade sour cream.

sarahb5, Aug 24, 6:36am
Lucky you - that's not an option for everyone and the bacon I buy from the deli counter of the supermarket doesn't shrink anywhere near as much as stuff you buy in a packet.

I can't afford to pay $37 a kilo for bacon which is what Freedom Farms costs at Countdown - and that's on special .

sarahb5, Aug 24, 6:39am
I think you and I have different ideas of what's healthy by comparison with some others in here - good luck with changing your lifestyle.You can continue to eat similarly to what you've been used to and what you've enjoyed without doing anything too drastic but still be healthier - a few tweaks is often enough .