Help with thickening filling for pie.

firecentaurr, Aug 9, 1:30am
I'm making a home made, family sized venison pie, trying out Jordan ramsey's rough puff recipe) and I'm hoping to make the filling quite thick like the bakery pies.I'm a learner with pies and I want to improve on making pies. lol.
I thought potato flour would be the way, as a thickener but but I don't have any.

Can anyone help with suggestions/alternative as to thickenng the filling!I've got the filling sitting in the fridge but it is pretty liquidy.which, I'm sure, is no good on pastry.

I hope to have venison pie for our dinner tonight ;-)

cookessentials, Aug 9, 1:34am
Arrowroot is often used as a thickener.

cookessentials, Aug 9, 1:34am
Arrowroot is often used as a thickener. Cornflour is usually the standard for meat gravies.

teeandt, Aug 9, 1:36am
Hi there, i use a table spoon of corn flour in a very small amount of milk - maybe a 1/4 of a cup, stir it so theres no lumps and add to your mixture - it doesn't seem like much, but it really helps to thicken :)

firecentaurr, Aug 9, 2:12am
Oooh I just remembered that I got a new packet of arrowroot!Will try it, I remember my ol mother always uses arrowroot but I ended uo using cornflour a lot (Which I've run out days ago).
Must try arrowroot!Hmmm gonna be yummy!Thank you cookessentials :O)

firecentaurr, Aug 9, 2:12am
Oooh I just remembered that I got a new packet of arrowroot! Thank you cookessentials!You've jus reminded me!Will try the arrowroot as I generally makes my own gravies using plain flour.
Hmm cornflour I've run out several days ago, since hubby discovered a use for crispier chicken wings using cornflour!

mwood, Aug 9, 2:13am
strain of excess liquid and use as a gravy or sauce base. Stir some bread crumbs or wheatgerm into the pie mix and brush oil on the pastry.

flojo18, Aug 9, 2:36am
a bakery i worked at used gelatin for thickness as it has no flavour to effect the taste of the pie. good luck,

firecentaurr, Aug 15, 2:24am
Yeah, that's right, the gelatin doesn't have any taste but does have a slight scent.
When I thought about it, I then thought perhap it wouldn't work for hot pies.but is fine for cold pies!

Do you know how the bakery did it!

ange164, Aug 15, 4:17am
you can just thicken it with flour, like a really thick stew. In my opinion the important part is not so much what you use to thicken it with, but making sure your filling is cold. Remember that if you use arrowroot, any re-heating is limited to (I think it's 60○C) because it breaks down thin again if heated too high.

pr1ncesswst, Aug 15, 9:19am
The bakery I did my trade in used a mix of flour and cornflour for its thickeners, others I have worked in have used arrowroot or just flour or just cornflour.

rozke, Aug 15, 1:09pm
An experienced Chef in Christchruch used to thicken stews and pies with day old bread cut into chunks.
Cheers

soundsie1, Aug 15, 1:45pm
instant mash potato flakes are great also