topside roast in slow cooker

mull05, Nov 28, 9:55pm
how long do i put in for and do i add water? thanks

angie117, Nov 28, 10:03pm
I just put mine in dry, you will find enough juices will come out from the meat. It depends on the size for how long it needs, roughly for a small one round 6 - 7 hrs.

harrislucinda, Nov 28, 10:06pm
nowateranddontkeepliftinglidastempwilldrop

mull05, Nov 28, 10:22pm
angie is that on low?

angie117, Nov 28, 10:32pm
Yes low.

beaker59, Nov 29, 12:26am
I did one yesterday that was really nice. Browned the meat (a moderate sized piece of topside with a thin layer of fat on one side) in a frypan cut up a couple of onions and half a bulb of garlic (just peel the cloves and cut the bigger ones in half layer on bottom of slow cooker dish then when meat is well browned sit on top I added 4 fresh bayleaves and a branch of rosemary from the garden I deglazed the frypan with chicken stock (one cup) and added to the dish put the lid on and ran on high from midday til 6pm at about 5 I added a huge bunch of fresh chopped watercress When I served dinner I carved the meat which was so tender I really needed a sharp knife to avoid ripping it apart and rather than thicken the gravy just spooned it and the cress across the top. I had mashed pumkin and potato on the side.

mull05, Nov 29, 1:18am
is it worth chucking in peeled whole/halved potatoes in a couple hours before the meat is ready or would it be better to just do seperate on the oven?

mull05, Nov 29, 1:19am
i mean putting the spuds in with the meat if i wasnt clear

angie117, Nov 29, 1:20am
I always do mine seperate.

beaker59, Nov 29, 1:47am
It is nice but in our house theres a mixed opinion because what tends to happen is everything tastes the same on the plate. Its one of those love or loathe situations. also because it can tend to be a very rich dish I think good mashed or boiled potatoes compliment well.

mull05, Nov 29, 2:01am
thanks havnt tried it so I may as well know for next time

bohemian4, Apr 15, 8:05am
I have just eaten a topside roast cooked in a slowcooker. It was too dry. Any suggestions?

cap, Apr 15, 8:13am
I would try a Beef Bolar Roast instead - not as dry. We cook it all day in the crockpot and it is gorgeous.

veejay13, Apr 15, 9:14am
If it was cooked on high that may have made it dry - I'd do it on low and for 8 - 10 hours.

fifie, Apr 15, 9:32am
Always do all beef roasts in the C/pot rub meat all over with oil, little crushed garlic, Salt ground Bl pepper. Brown all sides well in a hot frying pan to seal in flavours and juices, put in crockpot sprinkle a little Balsalmic Vinegar over it, nothing else lid on and cook. Remove when cooked put on plate and restcovered with tin foil tip all the meat juices into saucepan make a yummy gravy. Result lovely tender moist meat every time. My C/pot is a old one and i put roasts on usually lunch time, cook on high all afternoon as im home. With the new ones i feel they cook quicker as they are a slightly hotter temperature so maybe you need to cook at a lower temperature to stop drying out.

pickles7, Apr 16, 6:31am
similar to ... . beaker59 ... . brown well put in slow cooker on top of 1 onion chopped [celery leaves and carrot peels would be ok to add for gravy later] I added a cup of wine , went out all day , 1 hour late getting home but it was perfect . . 7 hours... mmm got a rolled rib roast to cook tomorrow ... . Sure shows the benefits of long and slow ...

boothy1, Apr 17, 11:40pm
Did one for dinner last nite. . Put it into a oven bag then in to Crock Pot, salt , pepper, high until about 3. 30 then took it out and left it, , yummy so moist. .
Eveo

effcee1, Apr 18, 2:27am
Hi, i put a slit in the middle of the meat, fill it with stuffing, tie the end up with string so the stuffing wont come out then pop it into a oven bag, then into the crock pot, works for us.

fisher, Apr 18, 3:26am
boothy1. . I cant see the point of putting it into an oven bag and then in a crockpot. . a crockpot works on heat and "steam" creating moisture for the dish that's cooking. . may as well just put it in the oven for the same result. .
Try it as per beaker59 method in post #7... those flavours will be infused "into" the meat...

beaker59, Feb 10, 5:11pm
Did one yesterday with white wine instead of the stock in my post above (and no cress this time) it was delicious and we will have leftovers for dinner tonight. The Bolar roast was on special and cost $13 it will feed 3 of us for two nights so very economical too.