Homemade Vogels -Historical Thread

evorotorua, Jul 19, 5:53pm
I found a copy of this thread that I saved back in 2006. Still love Vogels bread and I really must get around to trying these recipes. I wonder is the Posters are still around!
Vogel's bread.anyone have a home bake recipe!

1.Vogel's bread.anyone have a home bake recipe!
We love Vogel's original style bread but the price is just escalating wildly of late. In an attempt to keep within our food budget we have decided to try and make our own at home, but have not been able to find a similar recipe. A google search came up with nothing. Does anyone out there have a recipe for home made bread that closely approximates Vogel's original style!

gbowcher (171 )3:25 pm, 7 May

2.what is in the original vogels bread
I have several recipes for grain type bread so maybe able to help but I am unsure of what is in the vogels.

robyn35 (120 )4:12 pm, 7 May

3.I have tried this several times
I have never quite managed it. I definitly has kibbled wheat/rye in it. I have tried soaking 1c this in 1 c hot water and leaving to cool. It also has gluten flour in it. Have tried about 4 tbs and that is probably enough. The dough needs to be wetter than ordinary bread. I use breadmaker to mix and then pour into tin. I use two cups of wholemeal flour and one cup white added to the above ingredients with tps salt and tbs sugar and 3tsp yeast and another cup and 1/4 of water. As i say it is not perfect and I am still trying. Would be interested in if anyone else has a recipe.

magenta (133 )4:58 pm, 7 May

4.I'm not sure what its called
but you can buy seed stuff from the feild days etc, they have stalls there (have also seen at other stalls) it is from south island I think and has nutty,marmitey flavour and is mixed seeds of some sort. We used to make the french loaf recepie and put these in when it beeped and turned out just like molenburg bread, it was one of our favourites, but I did Atkins and now hardly ever eat bread - only ocasionally, so not worth making anymore.

neillynn (244 )5:53 pm, 7 May

5.Anyone have a recipe!
Bump

putty76 (35 )6:47 pm, 9 May

6.vogels
I haven't tried this but it comes from a very reliable book, "The Cooks Bread Book" by Mary Brown, Helen Leach and Nancy Tichbourne and sounds very like Vogels Swiss style mixed grain bread ¼ cup kibbled wheat ¼ cup kibbled rye 2 cups wholemeal flour 1 tsp suga 1 tsp salt 4 tsp surebake dried yeast 1 cup cold water 1 cup boiling water ¼ cup skim milk powder 2 tbsp gluten flour 2 ½ cups wholemeal flour Place kibbled grains in small saucepan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil, simmer for one minute, tip into sieve to drain and allow to cool to blood temp. In large bowl, combine the first measure of wholemeal flour with the sugar, salt and yeast. Stir to mix thoroughly. Add one cup of cold water followed by the cup of boiling water. Beat vigorously until smooth. Leave to rest for three minutes. Warm and grease a large tin or two smaller tins. Add the skim milk powder, the gluten flour, the warm kibbled grains and the second measure of wholemeal flour. Beat vigorously with a wooden sp

kaylfrazer (79 )8:14 pm, 9 May

7.Swiss Style mixed grain bread (cont)
Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon for 1 – 2 minutes and then spoon into the tins. Leave in warm place20 – 30 mins until the batter has almost risen of the rim of the tins. Bake in hot oven, 200C for 45 – 50 mins. Cool before slicing.Love to hear how it goes if you try it!

kaylfrazer (79 )8:15 pm, 9 May

8.Thank you SO much Kay, for taking the time.
That recipe sounds pretty darn close.! I will give it a try over the weekend and let you know how it goes. Looking at the ingredients on the Vogel's packet endorses the credentials of your book's recipe extremely well, with the only additional item being sugar and the only thing not covered being vinegar (which is second to last on the Vogel's ingredient list, yeast being last and salt being 3rd last - so the amount of vinegar is probably going to be minimal, somewhere between 1 - 4 teaspoons, perhaps!). I might even get adventurous and try a few combinations with and without vinegar and sugar to see which tastes best vs. most authentic and post the responses. Thanks again!

gbowcher (171 )8:15 pm, 10 May

peterbk, Jul 25, 2:06am
I too have tried for years to make a loaf like Vogels to no avail. However I came across a recipe by Jim Lahey for a slow rise no-knead bread that used white flour and only 1/4 tsp yeast. It had a great crust and the texture was alot like Vogels, nice chewy feel. So I tried adding some kibbled grains and and others extras and am very pleased withthe result. "More like Vogels than Vogels"
The recipe looks complicated, as i have given detailed instructions but is is really very very simple, just takes time left to do the rising.
Enjoy!

Jacqueline’s Slow rise, No Knead Bread just like Vogels

The evening before you want to bake the bread:
4 ½cups high grade bread flour, more for dusting
¼cup bran
¼ cup rolled oats
½ cup kibbled wheat
¼ cup kibbled rye
¼ tsp instant yeast (in winter could use 1/3tsp yeast)
2 ½teaspoons salt
3cups cold water
1 tsp wine or cider vinegar

1. Stir together dry ingredients then mix in cold water until a shaggy wet dough forms. Leave covered with glad wrap or a plastic bag on bench for 12 hours or longer (in cold weather may need 18 hours). The dough needs to have bubbles forming on the top when ready. (But don’t let it over rise or it will sink back down and then not make a good loaf.)

2. The next morning if dough not ready and weather is cool or I want to speed up the process I heat the oven to 50 deg C, turn oven off and place the bowl of dough into the warm oven to continue rising.
When the dough is ready ( starting to bubble on top) lightly flour a work surface and tip the dough out on to it. Use a silicone spatula to ease the dough out of the bowl, trying not to let any dough strands stretch and break. Fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Gently fold dough from sides into the middle, folding dough over on itself 2 -3 times to quickly shape dough into a ball. No kneading necessary. Dust dough with more flour and place the dough seam side down into an oiled 3 L bowl. Cover and let rise for about 2 hours (may need 4 hours). (When dough is ready, it will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.)

4. Half an hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 240 deg C and place a 4 ½ Litre(22 cm diameter) cast iron dutch oven with lid in to heat for that half hour. Can also place a cast iron frypan or plate on the rack below the dutch oven. (It keeps the oven hot and prevents bottom of loaf from over browning)
A ceramic or pyrex casserole container may be used instead of cast iron.

5. When dough is ready and no longer springs back, use a silicone spatula to gently ease dough out of bowl and into the hot dutch oven container. Take care not to break any dough strands. Dough will end up seam side up. Put lid on container and place in oven.
6. Turn oven down to 220 deg C bake for 35 minutes then remove lid and bake a further 10 -15 minutes to brown top. Remove from oven, tip bread onto a rack. Cover with a tea towel and leave to cool. Do not slice until cool. Hard to do, but the bread is best if left until warm/cold before slicing so that moisture does not escape.

Optional extras, can add all or just one:½ cup Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup Pumpkin seeds, 2 Tbsp each of Sesame seeds, Linseeds, Chia seeds,

evorotorua, Jul 26, 5:31am
peterbk, thanks for taking the time to post that recipe. it sounds very interesting and I may just give it a go this weekend. That's the great thing about this message board, recipes are tried and true and you know you just have to give it a go!

guest, Jan 11, 3:09pm
I'm imsspreed you should think of something like that

guest, Jan 13, 2:29pm
For sandwiches, toast, and French toast, you just can't beat a claissc American sandwich loaf, with its creamy-white interior, golden crust, and soft, easily sliceable texture. 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour*1/2 cup milk (skim, 1%, 2% or whole, your choice)**1/2 to 2/3 cup hot water, enough to make a soft, smooth dough**4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) melted butter, margarine or vegetable oil2 tablespoons sugar1 1/4 teaspoons salt1 packet active dry yeast dissolved in 1 tablespoon warm water OR 2 teaspoons instant yeast*For added whole-grain goodness, substitute great-tasting King Arthur 100% White Whole Wheat Flour for up to half of the all-purpose flour in this recipe.**Mix the cold-from-the-refrigerator milk with 1/2 cup of the hot-from-the-tap water to make a lukewarm combination. Mixing: In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stir till the dough starts to leave the sides of the bowl. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased surface, oil your hands, and knead it for 6 to 8 minutes, or until it begins to become smooth and supple. (You may also knead this dough in an electric mixer or food processor, or in a bread machine set to the dough or manual cycle). Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl, and allow the dough to rise till puffy though not necessarily doubled in bulk, about 60 minutes, depending on the warmth of your kitchen.Shaping: Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled work surface, and shape it into an 8-inch log. Place the log in a lightly greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan, cover the pan loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the bread to rise for about 60 minutes, until it's domed about 1 inch above the edge of the pan. A finger pressed into the dough should leave a mark that rebounds slowly.Baking: Bake the bread in a preheated 350b0F oven for about 35 minutes, until it's light golden brown. Test it for doneness by removing it from the pan and thumping it on the bottom (it should sound hollow), or by measuring its interior temperature with an instant-read thermometer (it should register 190b0F at the center of the loaf). Remove the bread from the oven, and cool it on a wire rack before slicing. Store the bread in a plastic bag at room temperature. Yield: 1 loaf. All the recipes on this site are kitchen-tested and I haven't found a failure yet. Try the Cinnamon Bread!