I no longer have my steam pudding bowl. After

elsielaurie1, Jun 20, 9:14am
all these years it's gone 'missing'. Is it possible to make a steam pudding using a greased stainless steel basin with baking paper tied around the lip as a lid or do you know of an easier way! I'd love to know as I'd like to make a steamed 'christmas' pudding.

esther-anne, Jun 20, 9:25am
I have made steamed puddings as you describe very successfully.

RIP your missing or deceased bowl.If it was one of the ss ones with a lid which had a couple of sliding arms which you clipped into place-they are available, at a price.

I rarely make steamed pud these days-old and sick to death of cooking to be honest - but I use a Pyrex bowl with a buttered paper on top and foil on top of that then tied around with twine-works fine!

elsielaurie1, Jun 20, 9:29am
Sounds interesting. Thanks. Yes, my old one had the sliding arms on the lid to tighten its grip on the bowl.wonderful invention. I won't be investing in a new one though, as I don't do much baking like that now.had my days.:-}

esther-anne, Jun 20, 9:44am
You too huh!I never thought I would get so tired of producing the wonderful food which I used to do.In fact I have to admit that sometimes my meals turn out to be very disappointing - and I think it's because my heart isn't in it any more!

It's become a chore-and I envy my good friend who "never cooks"-but she expects to spend a long time phone chatting whilst her husband produces her meal-have to remind her frequently that I have to go and prepare and cook a dinner!LOL!

cookessentials, Jun 20, 9:47am
Those type are still available. They are made in Dunedin.

esther-anne, Jun 20, 10:40am
x1
Hi cooks-yes I did say they are available-but they are expensive - especially for us superannuitants who find out trusty kitchen helps are lost or no longer functioning - whatever - most of us can't afford to replace them-or won't replace them because chances are great that they will way outlive us-if you see what I mean lol!

My yearning is for a Kenwood Chef-I just may have been the first person in NZ to own one-my MIL brought one out for me when she visited us Poms here - that was in 1960-eventually I could not get a replacement china bowl for it and it had to go.
(A personal aside - good for a smile maybe.I went out with Ken Wood - yes the name is based on a real person - when I was about 19-he had a Triumph Spitfire and I didn't realise what his name meant until he told me he was the son of Kenwood and took me to see his family pile near Manchester.)I must have not realised what my future could have been-i dropped him for a guy with an Indian motor bike - my husband of almost 60 years)

kuaka, Jun 20, 11:50am
Reminds me that my first husband used to play golf with a Charles Fry, of Fry's chocolate fame.

esther-anne, Jun 20, 12:04pm
Hmm kuaka-we didn't have an eye on "the main chance" those days - "names" didn't really impress.

Whilst you are around-I did come here and mention it maybe a year ago - you probably didn't see my message-my husband constanly when lemons abound makes your Aunt's recipe for lemon curd. it is supremely delicious and the easiest preserve to make that I have ever seen.Thanks for posting that yonks ago - it takes a prime place in my dog-eared messy cookbook!

Edited for a cartload of typos-iI think I am very tired.Night bless all!

cookessentials, Jun 20, 6:55pm
x1
Aah, but you fell in love with the one that was meant to be! I have one of these pudding basins but rarely make a steam pudding now. I also have the old Grimwades "quick cooker" which has the instructions glazed into it. It would be from the 1900's.

kiwiscrapper1, Jun 20, 10:42pm
my old ones were aluminum and ditched them last year and bought two new ones I think they were around $24 each and the brand you sell Pam but needed in a hurry so didnt inquire with you :-(. my recipe makes two puds

cookessentials, Jun 20, 11:58pm
No problems, they make a great pudding though don't they!

sarahb5, Jun 21, 12:06am
For a really good seal, use a clean teatowel or muslin cloth tied around the lip of your bowl with string so you can get a nice tight seal and then gathered and knotted - the wet fabric from steaming forms a really good seal, better than you would probably be able to get with either paper or foil.

Start with your cloth wet - it will increase the amount of steam and it's easier to get a tight seal

juliewn, Jun 21, 9:52am
I prefer using a stainless steel bowl without a lid, to using a bowl with a lid. the pudding can rise fully without the lid compressing the pudding as can sometimes happen.

An easy way to use a stainless steel bowl. place a large oven-bag around the greased bowl, so the opening of the bag is above it. fold the bag down so it's around the sides of the bowl.
Pour your mix into the bowl.
Bring the oven-bag opening upwards and tie with a twist-tie or the oven-bag tie.
Hold the bag to lower the bowl into the boiling water. and steam.

It's then easy to hold the top of the oven bag to lift the pudding out too. and if you want to reheat the pudding the next day, wipe the outside of the bag dry and place it all in your fridge. when needed, lower the pudding into boiling water and heat for as long as you want.

sarahb5, Jun 21, 8:53pm
That is a good idea - leaves room for expansion just like the cloth does

kuaka, Jun 22, 8:43am
You are so right there, (actually there used to be a TV programme called "The Main Chance" - about a lawyer called someone or other Main, David Main, I think, he was quite dashing).

Anyway the yummy lemon curd recipe was my grandmother's - I still have the scrap of paper she wrote it out on.The results do vary a bit depending on the lemons of course, but it's always yummy.Sometimes I add some mandarin or passionfruit too for a change.I'm lucky as my hubby doesn't like it, so when I make it I get to scoff the lot.I'm sure it's good for you with all the vitamin C - well that's my excuse.

elsielaurie1, Jun 22, 8:49am
Excellent - plus invert a saucer underneath it so that it's not touching the bottom of the pot! as I have seen my Mum do on many occasions.

karma6, Jun 23, 4:26am
Mother in law uses a large fruit salad tin or similar. grease and place oven bag inside pour mixture into bag and tie.

ayglepaygle, Jun 23, 4:32am
I use a greased stainless steel bowl and cover with baking paper and tin foil folded with a pleat in it to allow for rising.

carter19, Jun 24, 6:43am
I have even removed the handle from a pot in order to cook a steamed pud.

gardie, Jun 24, 7:03am
Expensive is right - saw 3 different sorts today at Stevens and they were all around the $50 mark.