Looking for a dark, moist ginger loaf

donna23, Mar 6, 8:45pm
Would theMoist Treacle Gingerbread loaf recipe from above be okay done in gem irons, any thoughts.

donna23, Mar 7, 8:51am
anyone.

nauru, Mar 8, 2:08am
I can't see why not as I have made the recipe into muffins many times and they came out well.I baked them @ 180C for same time as normal muffins

flower-child01, Mar 8, 3:49am
My fave gingerbread is Aunt daisy's one with sour cream in. It is delish.

badams1, Mar 8, 5:48am
flower-child, recipe pls.cheers

ruby19, Mar 8, 7:46am
I make this loaf often and it is always good

280g (2 cups) flour

200g (1 cup) brown sugar

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

2 dessertspoons ground ginger

½ tsp mixed spice

½ tsp nutmeg

1 tsp cinnamon

360g (1 plus 1/3 cup) golden syrup

225g butter (roughly diced)

2 eggs (lightly beaten)

250ml (1 cup) milk

Method
· Preheat oven to 150°C.

· Grease and line the base of an 11cm x 30cm loaf tin (or alternatively a 23cm square tin).

· Into a large bowl sift flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, mixed spice, nutmeg and cinnamon.

· In small saucepan melt golden syrup with butter.

· To the dry ingredients add the golden syrup mixture followed by eggs and milk. Combine ingredients well, using a whisk (this is a very wet mix). Pour into prepared tin.

· Cook in loaf tin for 1 hour 10 minutes (in the square tin for 45 minutes) or until metal cake skewer comes out clean. When cooked leave in tin to cool for 30 minutes or more before turning out.

katalin2, Mar 8, 9:32am
I made this tonight as I needed a quick dessert to follow a roast lamb meal for four of us and I had spent the day dealing to overgrown gherkins and giant courgettes while we away for two weeks holiday. It was great just served it with ice cream. Thank you for sharing this recipe- I will be making it again.

flower-child01, Mar 11, 2:57am
I will get this done up within the next couple of days. I might even bake one myself, and hot cross buns yummy.

phoenix10111, Jun 26, 8:44am
Hi fellow bakers. I've tried a few ginger loaf recipes but can't seem to find one that makes a dark, moist, dense loaf.While the others have been nice enough, they're not quite what I'm looking for - they tend to be too light. Anyone got a tried and true recipes!TIA

nauru, Jun 26, 9:23am
I make a nice one from my AWW cake book, very like the Jamaican Ginger cake available in the UK.I missed this cake when we came to NZ and tried many recipes before finding one that touched the spot.I will look out the recipe for you tomorrow.

phoenix10111, Jun 26, 9:32am
thanks nauru - that's exactly whatI'm looking for - like the Jamaican ginger cake from the UK. I miss that! :)

vtired, Jun 26, 9:27pm
This is a very old recipe which you can double everything exactly and get two large ginger loaves
Put in pot: 4oz Butter 1 cup sugar 2 tblsp's Golden syrup and one cup milk, heat until butter melted and all combined then cool

Sift 2 cups flour 1tsp baking soda and 1tsp each ginger cinnamon and mixed spice pour wet into dry and mix

Butter and line loaf tin and pour mix in bake 350F 1 hour, cool in tin and turn out.

daleaway, Jun 27, 12:20am
Annabelle White's one is lovely. I prefer it made with milk, and extra nutmeg.
http://www.foodshow.co.nz/home/recipes/e/easy-gingerbread.aspx

daleaway, Jun 27, 12:20am
Annabelle White's one is lovely. I prefer it made with milk, and extra nutmeg.
http://www.foodshow.co.nz/home/recipes/e/easy-gingerbread.aspx

nauru, Jun 27, 6:56am
Phoenix10111-This is the recipe as in the AWW book.I double all the spices (my preference & never enough ginger for my taste) and instead of frosting, I top the cake with sliced almonds before baking, same as the Jamaican Ginger cake you buy. I have also made this with golden syrup instead of treacle with a good result but not as dark.It's a lovely moist cake and according to the recipe it keeps well, it doesn't last long enough in our house to confirm this though.Enjoy.

Moist Treacle Gingerbread
3/4 cup plain flour
3/4 cup SR flour
1/2 teasp baking soda
1 teasp ground ginger
1/4 teasp ground cinnamon
1/4 teasp mixed spice
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup milk
60g butter
1/2 cup treacle

Lemon frosting
60g butter
1 teasp grated lemon rind
1 cup icing sugar
2 teasp lemon juice

Grease and line 14cm x 21cm loaf pan. Sift flours, soda and spices into a bowl.Stir in sugar and combined egg and milk. Melt butter and treacletogether. Stir into flour mixture and mix well. Pour into prep'd loaf pan Bake @ 180C for 50 minutes.When cooled spread with Lemon frosting.
For frosting, beat together butter and rind until creamy. Gradually add icing sugar and enough lemon juice to make a spreadable consistency.

cookessentials, Jun 27, 7:35am
Try the ginger gems thread, there are some great ones there.

phoenix10111, Jun 27, 8:05am
Thanks nauru - that looks exactly what I'm looking for. I think what I'd been making up till now was missing the treacle. And yes, I'd double the spice and ginger too :)

gerry64, Jun 28, 12:40am
Could I use molasses instead of treacle!

nauru, Jun 28, 1:55am
I guess it would be OK, it will make a darker loaf and alter taste a little.Give it a go and let us know how it turns out.

nauru, Jun 29, 6:21am
Phoenix10111 -Have you tried Aunty Betty's Ginger Loaf!My daughter brought one for afternoon tea today.While not exactly a Jamaican Ginger loaf it was very nice.Lighter in colour but gingery. Thought I'd just let you know.
Meant to say that sometimes I add some chopped crytalized ginger to that recipe I gave you.Have you tried making it yet, I'd be interested to know what you think.

phoenix10111, Jun 30, 9:25am
Thanks, will keep an eye out for it. Hoping to find sometime tomorrow to do some baking - one of those weekends that hasn't exactly gone to plan so far.

cookessentials, Jun 30, 9:38am
molasses has quite a strong taste.

phoenix10111, Jul 7, 2:45am
Finally got round to trying this recipe - yum! think next time I make it though I'll use fresh ginger instead of (or as well as) powdered ginger. Needs a little more depth of flavour for me. I'm just eating my 2nd slice of my first attempt so it's pretty good :)

wasgonna, Jul 10, 1:35am
In my very old book the ginger cake recipe uses wholemeal flour so maybe that's worth a try.