Banoffee pie recipe?,the one with boiling the can

michelle.nic, Apr 12, 8:37am
sounds good, can any1 tell me how to make it please

stasi21, Apr 12, 8:46am
get a deep pot, put in the unopened can of condensed milk (with labels taken off), make sure its covered with water and has atleast 3-4 cm of water on top, then boil for 2 hours.
IMPORTANT: you will need to top the water up because it will evaporate, make sure the can is covered in water AT ALL TIMES, or else it WILL explode, covering your kitchen walls and ceiling.
Make sure the can is completely cold before you open it or else it can explode and burn you if you open it while hot

hezwez, Apr 12, 8:51am
stasi, what's the advantage of boiling the can over your recipe below? BANOFFI PIE
(a Nestle recipe)

INGREDIENTS:
150g melted butter,
250g packet plain biscuits (crushed),
330g can highlander caramel,
2 bananas,
3/4 cup cream (whipped),
2-3 Tbsp grated chocolate.

METHOD:
Combine the melted butter and crushed biscuits and mix thoroughly. Press the mixture into the base and sides of a deep 20cm loose-based flan. Refrigerate for 30 mins Spread caramel over crumb base and refrigerate for 1 hour, until caramel is firm. To serve, slice the bananas and arrange half of them over the set caramel. Top with the whipped cream and decorate with the remaining banana slices and grated chocolate.
Quote stasi21
(courtesy of Stasi21! )

stasi21, Apr 12, 9:03am
I havent tried the highlander caramel stuff myself but have read on here that it tastes pretty vile. But have also read that its fine. so i guess its up to each individual. I have always boiled the can of condensed milk though. its not just good for banoffee pie, but you can spread it through the middle of a cake, use it instead of icing on muffins and its pretty good (and totally sickening) licked off a spoon on its own. . lol.

hezwez, Apr 12, 9:13am
Sounds positively scrummy, thanks!

michelle.nic, Apr 12, 10:45am
THANK YOU EVERYONE, oops sorry caps

fatima1, Apr 13, 5:20am
try malt biscuits instead of plain. I also add a teaspoon of coffee to the cream. yummy! ! ! !

basenjibabe, Apr 13, 8:02am
Making the caramel yourself is DEFINITELY nicer than the canned caramel!
Mum makes the base with malt biscuits, which is really nice

natalie9, Jan 27, 4:19pm
Yes hubby is a banoffee connoisseur and he noticed when I made it with the highlander caramel. Definitely wasn't as nice.