Tomarto Sauce - Help please

ifonly, Jul 13, 3:12am
I have a recipe for tomarto sauce involving 12lb tomartos, apples and onions.At the end before bottling you put in an ingreadent that our local chemist used to make up.He just called it "Tomarto Sauce Essence".It fixed the colour and helped the sauce keep better.
Unfortunatly he has gone out of business and the people who took over his business don't know anything about it.Does anyone have any ideas what would be in it or where I might get it!

iman007, Jul 13, 3:14am
what have you been smoking!

ifonly, Jul 13, 3:19am
Nothing!

pickles7, Jul 13, 3:40am
The chemistsold, CH3CO2H, in 8 oz bottles,you should have stocked up on more at the time, if only ah.

davidt4, Jul 13, 3:58am
Otherwise known as Acetic acid - an old fashioned addition to homemade tomato sauce.

rainrain1, Jul 13, 4:38am
you say tomarto and I say tomato, you say potato and I say potarto:-)))

stylus1, Jul 13, 4:58am
yeah it's called glacial acetic acid. You need at least 5% acetic acid to preserve the sauce, most good vinegars have as much, or you can just use the stuff from the chemist.

pickles7, Jul 13, 5:52am
The recipe probably did not have vinegar in it at all, the acetic acid would have been necessary to give the sauce the acidity to preserve it.

ifonly, Jul 17, 12:54am
bump -

kirmag, Jul 17, 12:58am
bump!people have answered your question

ifonly, Jul 17, 1:03am
Sorry meant to say where can I get this (Acetic Acid) and does anyone know how much to add!The product I purchased from the chemist that closed was just a couple of f/oz.Way less than the 5% mentioned above.