Cheese

toeblister, Apr 12, 5:56am
Can anyone please tell me the difference between Mild cheese and colby cheese. Many thanks in aadvance.

margyr, Apr 12, 6:12am
apart from mild being slightly less creamy than colby i dont think there is much difference, what do you want to do with it? have used both in cheese sauce and they are ok.

toeblister, Apr 12, 6:23am
Thank you for your reply.
I told my husband that mild cheese has a slightly stronger taste than colby cheese he said he couldn't tell the difference. I checked both cheeses ingredients and there is no difference. I then wondered if one was left to mature longer. So it's not really what I want to do with it, it just has me bewildered.

margyr, Apr 12, 6:26am
i googled for you, what is the difference between mild and colby cheese, here is one of the answers;edit] Properties
Colby is similar to cheddar, but does not undergo the cheddaring process[4]. Colby is a softer, moister, and milder cheese than cheddar because it is produced through a washed-curd process. Colby is considered semi-hard. [5] The washed-curd process means that during the cooking time, the whey is replaced by water; this reduces the curd's acidity, resulting in Colby's characteristically mild, gentle flavor. Like most other cheeses, it takes a little more than a U. S. gallon of milk to produce just 1 pound (over 8 liters for a kilogram) of cheese. Monterey cheese is produced in an almost identical fashion as Colby, but is uncolored and softer[4].

toeblister, Apr 12, 6:32am
Thank you so much for going to that trouble... ... . I think now understand the difference :)

lonicera, Jan 30, 5:11pm
Why worry? They both taste like soap and are only a nanometre away from that sliced and processed stuff that is marketed as cheese. Blargh!