Icing and cake filling questions

janine18, Jun 4, 9:10pm
hi, i really dont bake often so thought i would come to the experts for a couple of questions:1.I usually ice cakes when i make them with a icing of melted butter, hot water, icing sugar and cocoa, i have looked at buttercream icing where its beaten with a mixer and slightly different ingredients - question is does buttercream icing set hard (i am attempting a cake i saw on pinterest with maltesers all over it) also2. anyone know a good chocolate cake 'filling' recipe that stays nice and soft.thanks :)

geldof, Jun 4, 9:40pm
A buttercream icing will hold maltesers.It does not set rock hard, holds it's shape.
You could use a chocolate buttercream to fill a cake, or whipped cream with melted chocolate folded through.

I don't have a lot of time and have always made icing like you describe (it's how I was taught by my mother).Lately I have been experimenting with icing cakes and cupcakes so have made several lots of buttercream icing.Definitely superior in taste and texture.
The only draw backs are having to make sure the butter is at the right temperature and having to wash the mixer bowl and beaters. ;p

janine18, Jun 5, 12:28am
230 grams (2 cups) Icing sugar (confectioners sugar, powdered sugar)
120 grams (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk or cream
Food colouring(this is the recipe i have for the icing, does it look like a good one)!

sarahb5, Jun 5, 1:25am
I always use half the weight of butter to icing sugar so your recipe is about right - I like to beat my butter until it's virtually white and then add the icing sugar by hand until it's blended in and then beat again before adding flavouring and milk if necessary.If your butter's soft you probably won't need any more liquid.

lisa7, Jun 5, 1:46am

janine18, Jun 5, 2:06am
yes thats it, looks yum, BUT lol, i have also seen a funny one where there was the picture of what some pretty character cupcakes were supposed to look like and what they actually looked like after someone had tried to copy them!.

bev00, Jun 30, 11:11am
buttercream for cupcakes
140g/5oz butter, softened 280g/10oz icing sugar 1-2 tbsp milk a few drops food colouring Method 1. Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth. 2. Then add the remaining icing sugar with one tablespoon of the milk. 3. Beat until creamy then add the food colouring and mix well. 4. Add extra icing sugar to thicken or a little extra milk to make more runny if necessary

bev00, Aug 30, 11:25am
Best frosting ever:

http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2010/03/a-tasty-recipe-thats-the-best-frosting-ive-ever-had/

mock cream.
Probably cream two Napoleon cakes. I would divide it into four lots and make sure before starting.Thicken 500 mils of milk, 250 grams of sugar with 50 grams of cornflour.cool, stir as it is cooling to avoid a skin. Cream 1 pkt of butter, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, add cool custard a little at a time. May even add more custard, taste and see.

Quotepickles7 (527 )