How do you make your meatballs?

melantie, Jun 7, 1:31am
I have no breadcrumbs.

Usually we use breadcrumbs, but i never liked the taste.

What do you use!

I have pretty much everything else needed for baking/cooking.

I want to make sure they dont crumble.

Thanks!

karenz, Jun 7, 1:48am
I never use breadcrumbs, don't like the taste either.I just roll fresh mince into a tight ball then put in the fridge to cool down (from the heat of my hands rolling them into a ball). I also add dried herbs and sometimes dried onions and granulated or dried garlic.They never break up.

fifie, Jun 7, 1:52am
My basic method i use for spaghetti bol,sweet/sour M/balls etc, if you have no breadcrumbs use fresh crumbs made from a few slices bread, either by whizzing up in a whizz or even grating some. My answer to themfalling to bits is add a scant teaspoon of Baking powder, this stops them from crumbling.
Mince, Breadcrumbs fresh or processed,1 teaspoon herbs, or fresh chopped ones, salt and pepper, 1 teaspoon baking powder(this holds them together) beaten egg. Mix all together with wet hands shape into balls toss in flour brown in a hot frying pan with tablespoon oil, and use as desiredeither baked in oven or crockpot with a sauce.

karenz, Jun 7, 2:00am
It is important though to not use meat with too high a fat content (usually the cheapest mince).

kendy2, Jun 7, 2:13am
I've just started making pork mince ones, just add onions, herbs or whatever flavourings you want and lightly roll in flour (and they don't need anything to bind them either). Yum!

asue, Jun 7, 2:15am
can use rolled oats as filler and for fibre, about quart of a cup - absorbs some of the fat, replaces bread

lililambchops, Jun 7, 2:17am
I put an egg in mine, never breadcrumbs, and they dont fall apart. Fresh grated ginger, garlic, chili, fresh herbs from my garden, red onion, curry powder, whatever you like. Then I cook them in the oven in coconut cream, chili flakes, a little fish sauce, ground coriander, cumin, and a little soya sauce.

melford, Jun 7, 2:23am
I always bake my meatballs for 15 minutes at 150C on a tray then i add to a casserole and put sauce over then and warm through. Can't stand soggy soft meatballs (and doing it this way any fat comes out before you add the sauce)

kinna54, Jun 7, 2:42am
I use an egg to bind the mixture, and often add some cold mashed potato if I have any left over. Then anything goes,(herb wise ) depending upon what type of sauce/gravy I want to serve with them.
Do a search on Alison Holsts site, she has some nice recipes, some you can even do in the microwave.
and yep, like others I always cook the meatballs seperately, hate the added fat otherwise. and you don't need to cook them in fat either. good non stick pan or a drop of canola oil, and drain them well.

kinna54, Jun 7, 2:47am
This is an Alison Holst recipe, just make the meatballs family size if serving for dinner, rather than cocktails, and thin the sauce and pour over.
**NB you can eliminate the breadcrumbs**

Baby Meatballs
(For 48 Baby Meatballs):
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
2-3 spring onions
1/4 cup chopped parsley
450-500g minced beef/pork.
1/4 cup fine breadcrumbs
1 egg white
1 TBSP cornflour
1 TBSP soya sauce
1 TBSP sesame or light oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar

Chop onion, garlic and spring onion finely.
Place into thefood processor bowl and addother ingredients gradually, pulsing the mixture to mix evenly.
Using wet hands roll the mixture into balls.

Cook in a non stick pan drizzled with 1-2 TBSP oil
for 2 mins each side, working clockwise around the pan to turn the balls.

Serve withIndonesian dipping sauce on the side.

Indonesian Dipping Sauce

2 cloves garlic chopped
2 tsp grated root ginger
2 TBSP dark soya sauce
2 TBSP Lemon juice
1 TBSP oil
3-4 drops hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 TBSP peanut butter
1/4 cup water

Combine ingredients in small pan and heat, (or microwave in a pyrex jug,) stirring until smooth and thickened.
Sauce can be diluted with extra water if it is too thick.

iriegirl, Jun 7, 3:40am
I never use breadcrumbs, and they seem to hold together just fine. I do often cook them in the microwave, drain off the excess fat, then add them to whatever sauce for simmering (sweet amnd sour, bolognaise etc)

nunesy, Jun 7, 4:08am
If you add 1tsp baking powder per 500g mince, this keeps them from crumbling.It really works and is good for small meatballs with added ingredients that might otherwise fall apart.I never put breadcrumbs in mine.Love chicken meatballs with sweet chilli sauce, finely diced spring onions, a bit of onion powder and coriander (powder and fresh chopped if youhave it).Browned in a bit of oil and then baked til cooked, really good!These are amazing cold as a snack as well.

willyow, Jun 7, 5:59am
If you mince the meat2-3 times and add some soda water - they puff up intoreally nice fluffy meat balls - a little trick I picked up when young in Denmark - I think they called themfrikadeller or something.