Any curry gurus?

Page 1 / 2
shimmygirl, May 21, 12:05am
It 'meatless monday' in our house and I thought i'd do a curry.Probably have pumpkin and red lentils in it.I've been doing various recipes off the net for a while now but find the recipes vary alot.

We're real rookie (mild) curry eaters but love the flavours and I have big vege gardens so we fill them with yummy vege.

Has anyone got a fab base recipe or any tricks for the perfect curry!

TIA.

davidt4, May 21, 12:30am
You could substitute lentils for the chick peas in this recipe:

Chickpeas with pumpkin, lemongrass and coriander

200g chickpeas soaked & cooked
2 medium-sized onions

2 tbsp ghee, butter or coconut oil (plus a little later)

4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced

a thumb-sized piece of ginger

3 large stalks of lemongrass

2 tsp ground coriander

2 tsp ground turmeric

the ground seeds of 6 cardamoms

2 hot, red chillies

500g peeled and seeded pumpkin (about 1kg unprepared weight)

250ml vegetable stock

400ml coconut milk

1 tbsp yellow mustard seed

a large handful of coriander leaves

To serve
 basmati rice for 4

2 limes, halved

Peel the onions and chop them quite finely. Put the fat into a deep
 casserole and add the onions, letting them cook over a moderate heat until soft and translucent.

Meanwhile, peel the garlic and the ginger, remove

any tough leaves from the lemongrass, then make all three into a rough
 paste in a food processor. Stir into the softened onion and continue to 
cook.

Add the ground coriander and turmeric, then peel and lightly crush 
the cardamoms.

Add them, together with the fresh chillies, seeded and finely chopped.
Keep the heat fairly low and on no account allow ingredients to brown.

Chop the pumpkin into 2cm chunks, then add to the pan, along with cooked chickpeas and the stock. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer and continue to cook at a gentle bubble till the pumpkin is tender. Stop as soon as the flesh is yielding to the point of a knife - you don't want it to collapse.

Stir in the coconut milk and continue to simmer. Put a splash of fat into 
a small pan and tip in the yellow mustard seeds. As soon as they start
 to pop add them to the pumpkin, together with the leaves of coriander.
Serve with the rice and the limes, halved, ready to squeeze over at the 
last minute.

shimmygirl, May 21, 12:41am
Oh that sounds fab.Think I'll give hiubby a call and ask him to pick up coconut milk.Thanks.

snapperheadrkp, May 21, 1:02am
This is our all time FAVOURITE Veg Curry. Unusual combination, but it always gets rave comments and demands for the recipe when we serve to visitors)

500gms Mixed Veg (e.g. beans, peas, potato, carrot, cabbage, cauliflower, mushrooms) You cold use a packet of chunky frozen veg, just blanch them

2tbs veg oil
1tsp cumin seeds
1/2tsp onion seeds
1tsp turmeric
1/4 chilli powder (or more if you like it hot)
2 cloves crushed garlic
6 to 8 curry leaves
1tsp sugar
200ml plain yoghurtwith 1tsp cornflour well mixed into it (can use plain sweetened yoghurt just omit the sugar)
Prepare veg (cut into bite size pieces)
Cook veg in order so they are still crunchy apart from potato, which should be fully cooked
Heat oil in pan and fry the spices till fragrant
Reduce heat and fold in the hot drained veg and heat through, then
add yoghurt mixture and heat to serving temperature
Serve with rice and other normal curry accompaniments
If you don't have some of the spices above replace with curry powder (but it is well worth sourcing these for next time)

cookessentials, May 21, 1:13am
AUBERGINE, PUMPKIN AND CHICKPEA TIKKA MASALA

This is a quick “throw it together” meal that you can have on the table in well under an hour. It’s hearty and very warming on these chillier nights. I often substitute the chickpeas for cannellini beans as I prefer them, but use which suits you best. The tikka masala pastes are both good ones and they have natural ingredients and no MSG.

1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large aubergine (eggplant) cut into big cubes
600g of crown pumpkin, peeled and cubed
1x sachet of either Patak’s or Asian Home Gourmet tikka masala paste
1x can of chickpeas or cannellini beans.

Canned chickpeas or cannellini beans are so much quicker than using dried which you have to soak for ever.

In a colander, place the aubergine and salt generously. This takes out any bitterness but also helps the aubergine soaking up too much oil. Let it drain in the sink for 30 mins. While aubergine is draining, chop onion and prepare pumpkin. The quickest way to prepare your pumpkin and also speed up your cooking time is to place large pieces, with the skin on, into an oven proof dish, add ½ cup of water and cover with cling film. Microwave about 6-7 minutes until just tender.
Rinse aubergine well under cold running water and drain well on kitchen paper or a clean tea-towel. Make sure you give them a good squeeze to remove excess water. Heat oil and sauté the onion until the onion is lightly browned. Add the eggplant to the onion and cook for 8-10 minutes until golden brown in colour.
Remove skin off cooked pumpkin with a knife and reserve the juices in the dish.
Add cooked pumpkin, juices and tikka masala paste and stir through. Add 1x drained and rinsed can of chick peas or cannellini beans which I prefer and stir through until well heated through. Serves four.
Eggplant has a host of vitamins and is a great source of fibre. Pumpkins are low in calories and rich in potassium. Chickpeas are full of added fibre and other nutrients like folate.

shimmygirl, May 21, 1:18am
Thanks heaps I'm C &Ping all these and will work my way through them.

I'd never made a curry until a year ago.I'd had a 'bad' experience years ago and been put offbut now we have one about once a week.

Yum.

shimmygirl, May 21, 1:20am
Is there a big different in cumin seeds and ground cumin!My spice and herb shelf is bursting at the seams and I'm trying to not double up on anything i don't need too.

nauru, May 21, 1:24am
We are having this one for tea tonight.
Eggplant, Kumera and Butter Bean Curry

1 cup each sliced eggplant & cubed kumera
1 cup sliced butter beans or green beans,I use frozen when fresh not available
2 cl garlic chopped
1/2 teasp each cumin seeds, cumin powder, turmeric powder, ground coriander,1/2 curry powder
4-6 curry leaves and good pinch chilli flakes
1 teasp salt
1/2 cup stock
1 cup chopped spinach
1/2 -1 cup coconut cream
chopped fresh coiander and oil for cooking
Mix spices together and saute in a little oil until aromatic. Add chopped veges and cook 5 minutes. Add stock & salt and cook until veges are cooked through. Add spinach and stir then add coconut cream 1/2 cup at a time and stir until thickened. Add coriander before serving. Serve with coconut rice.

You can use whatever mix of veges you like in this recipe. I sometimes use courgette or pumpkin instead of the eggplant and add cooked chickpeas. You can also increase or decrease the amount of chilli flakes used.

davidt4, May 21, 1:52am
There's not a huge difference in flavour, but whole cumin seeds can be roasted to bring out the flavour.In my opinion cumin is one of the most useful spices in the kitchen as it is used in Middle Eastern food, Mexican and South American.I would keep both.Maybe you can throw out dried herbs (apart from oregano) and any pre-made mixes.

If you get serious about cooking Indian and Sri Lankan food you will inevitably end up with lots of different spices.I keep my curry spices in their own big box in a cupboard and haul it out when necessary.

cookessentials, May 21, 2:26am
they taste the same, although, freshly ground always has a better flavour. A small pack of ground would be perfectly fine.

ruby19, May 21, 3:52am
Chef in you, web site has great vegetarian curry recipes, I make the mali kofta one quite often. Sometimes I will just add paneer & veggies instead of making the koftas.

shimmygirl, May 21, 5:01am
Very cool thanks for that.

So davidt4 what have got against the herbs;+)
I grow my own and dry them and do use them.AND just wish I could grow more of the spices.

I think i just need a bigger shelf for all these herbs/spices

davidt4, May 21, 5:05am
A bigger shelf sounds like the answer.

Apart from dried mint and dried oregano, which are essential in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine,I prefer to use herbs fresh and in season.

frances1266, May 22, 12:35am
Alison Holst has a great kumera/pumpkin, chickpea curry recipe which is really yummy.Love curry and will be trying out these recipes which sound delish.

cgvl, May 22, 1:26am
This is my base recipe and can be made hotter if so desired. It is a Sonia Allison recipe and I use it often.
I don't have a lot of spices in my cupboard but if you know what spices you like or are in curry powder then you can use them instead,
Curry Sauce:
25g butter or marg or ghee
1Tbsp oil
1 large onion finely chopped
1-2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1-3Tbsp curry powder level, depends on how hot you like it (1 is mild/moderate, 3 is very hot)
1Tbsp cornflour level
2Tbsp tomato psate
½ tsp each of cinnamon and ground ginger
3 cloves
1 bay leaf
2 Tbsp sweet chutney/pickle
1tsp salt
1tsp worcestershire sauce
½ tsp tabasco sauce ( omit for a less hot sauce)
juice ½ lemon
375ml stock or water
optional 1-2Tbsp sultana's or raisins and 1 chopped cooking apple if desired.
Method:
Heat butter and oil in pan, add onion and garlic cook gently until pale golden.
Add rest of ingredients EXCEPT stock/water.
cook stirring for 5 mins.
Remove from heat and carefull blend in stock.
slowly bring back to boil, stirring, then cover and simmer for 45mins. stir frequently.
Add to cooked meat, hard boiled eggs or vegetables.
You can make a larger quantity and freeze it.

shimmygirl, May 22, 8:44am
Yum.that sounds great.

Had a great Lentil and pumpkin curry last night.

Thanks davidt5

elliehen, May 22, 10:19am
Bumping for bellaclare

brucerae, May 22, 10:49am
I love curries of any kind - any more ideas/contributions!

elliehen, May 22, 11:40am
Jamie Oliver's 30-minute meals:

ROGAN JOSH CURRY(Vegetable)
2 onions
1 medium butternut squash
1 small cauliflower
optional: 1 fresh red chilli
4 cloves of garlic
a bunch of fresh coriander
½ a 283g jar of Patak's rogan josh paste
1 x 400g tin of chickpeas
100g prewashed baby spinach
1 x 500g tub of natural yoghurt

RICE
1 mug of basmati rice
a few whole cloves

CARROT SALAD
a handful of flaked almonds
5 or 6 carrots
1 fresh red chilli
a bunch of fresh coriander
a 2cm piece of fresh ginger
1 lemon

CHAPATTIS
1 pack of chapattis
turmeric, for dusting

LEMON PICKLE
1 lemon
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 level teaspoon turmeric
¼ of a fresh red chilli
1 small dried chilli

SEASONINGS
olive oil
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt & black pepper

TO SERVE
1 packet of poppadoms
cold beer

TO START Get all your ingredients and equipment ready.
Fill and boil the kettle. Put a large saucepan on a high
heat.Turn the oven on to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Put the coarse grater attachment into the food processor.

CURRY Peel and slice the onions and add to the large pan with a splash of water and a few good lugs of olive oil.
Carefully cut the butternut squash in half across the middle (for speed I'm only using the seedless neck), wrap up the base and put in the fridge for another day. Quarter the neck lengthways, then slice it into 1cm chunks - no need to peel them .Add to the pan.Trim the cauliflower and remove the outer leaves. Cut it into bite-sized chunks, and throw them into the pan. If you want some extra heat, slice up the chilli and add it now. Crush in the unpeeled garlic. Finely chop the coriander (stalks and all). Reserve a few leaves for garnish and add the rest to the pan with a couple of generous splashes of boiled water. Add the rogan josh paste and the tin of chickpeas, with their juices. Season and stir well, then put a lid on. Cook hard and fast, stirring occasionally.

RICE Put the mug of rice into a medium saucepan with a lug of olive oil and a few cloves, then cover with 2 mugs of
boiled water (use the same mug you used for the rice).Add a pinch of salt, then put the lid on and boil on a medium heat for 7 minutes. Fill and reboil the kettle.

CHAPATTIS Scrunch up a large sheet of greaseproof paper under the tap. Flatten it out, then layer the chapattis
on top, drizzling each lightly with a little olive oil and a sprinkling of turmeric. Wrap them in the paper and put them on the middle shelf of the oven.

CARROT SALAD Toast the almonds in a small pan on a medium heat, tossing occasionally until golden.Tip into
a small bowl. Wash and trim the carrots. Grate them in food processor, using the coarse grater attachment, with the chilli (stalks and seeds removed), the top third of a bunch of coriander and a peeled 2cm piece of ginger. Tip into a serving bowl.

CURRY Check and add a splash of water if it looks a bitdry. Stir, then replace the lid.

RICE By now the 7 minutes should be up, so take the rice off the heat and leave it to sit with the lid on for 7 minutes. This
will let it steam and will give you beautiful fluffy nutty rice.

CARROT SALAD Drizzle a lug of extra virgin olive oil over the salad and add a pinch of salt. Finely grate in a little lemon zest, then add a good squeeze of lemon juice. Toss well. Sprinkle over the toasted almonds and half of the reserved coriander leaves, and take to the table.

CURRY Take the lid off. Do you need to adjust the consistency at this point! If so, you can add a generous splash of boiled water, depending on whether you want it drier or wetter. Or mash up some of the veg for different textures. Taste and add a pinch of salt, if needed, then add the spinach and stir through.

LEMON PICKLE Cut the lemon into eighths, then deseed and finely slice. Finely slice the red chilli quarter. Put the
small pan you toasted the almonds in back on to a medium to high heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil to the pan and the
mustard seeds, turmeric etc

janny3, May 22, 1:42pm
I had a nice vegetable curry at an Indian family home.Vegetable Makhani.It was a mixture of vegetables (stir fry mix, mixed vegetables would suffice) in a butter chicken sauce.Replicated the dish with a sachet of butter chicken paste, (Asian Home Gourmet) followed the instructions but subbed the chicken.Even non vegetarian relatives enjoyed it.On the pack it also gives a recipe for dhal Makhani using lentils & red kidney beans.

bellaclare, May 22, 10:31pm
thanks elliehen .

iman007, May 22, 10:43pm
my fave vege curry is aloo gobi, google it and try, best ever next to mushroom sabji sp!

elliehen, May 23, 12:00am
Peter Dunne's curry recipes - 11 August (Australian Masterchef)

Aloo Gobi - Potato and Cauliflower Curry

Time: 15mins
Costs: $12
Serves: 4

Shopping List
150 ml oil
2.5 ml white cumin seeds
4 dried red chillies
2 medium sliced onions
5 ml fresh pulped ginger
5 ml fresh pulped garlic
5 ml chilli powder
5 ml salt
1 pinch tumeric
3 medium potatoes
Half cauliflower cut into small florets
2 green chillies
Fresh coriander leaves
150 ml water

Method

Wash and prepare the vegetables.

Heat the oil in a saucepan, then add the white cummin seeds and dried red chillies.

Add the onions and fry until golden brown. Mix all the spices and add to the onions.

Stir fry for about 2 minutes.

Add the potatoes and the cauliflower to the onion mixture, and lower the heat.

Now add the green chillies, fresh coriander leaves and water, cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

iman007, May 23, 1:16am
thanks ellie, similar to mine except i use coriander, cumin and fennel seeds dry roasted then i put in my coffee grinder and add rest toit. One of my faves, i make a dam good one, as good as an indian can do!
I also use a bit of coconut milk also!

guest, Jan 11, 2:57pm
Your post captures the issue peecfrtly!