Ok. in need of cookie cutters. help!

tomodew, Jun 1, 7:04am
i work in a cafe and someone accidentally threw our scone cutter out!. after a set of metal cookie cutters like nana used to have. even plastic at a pinch. but no one seems to sell them (there is one set on here but $20 is a lot to spend when only need one cutter) can anyone give me ideas where id find a set. or individual. im in taranaki TIA

jonoandstacey, Jun 1, 7:10am
Our New World sell them. Around the same place as the cake tins etc.

tomodew, Jun 1, 7:16am
not here. ive looked in new world. pak n save. countdown. the warehouse. shoprite. next stop my mums cupboard but ill know ill get my hand slapped hahaha

tomodew, Jun 1, 7:17am
oh and mitre 10 hahaha

flora11, Jun 1, 7:38am
I make hundreds of scones and I have got cunning, you are going to laugh but if I am in a hurry I just spray the end of an oven tray with oil, then cut the dough in one moment, saves using a knife! I find using a cutter makes the sides of the scones dry but if you place them close together on the tray you have nice soft scones and yes I make hundreds and people rave about them.

falcon-hell, Jun 1, 8:13am
good tip flora-i read recently you should never use cutters on scone cos they won't rise properly,but people do and they seem to work.

cgvl, Jun 1, 8:28am
I use a glass but back to your original question #OP, have you tried the $2 shops. We have Sunny's here and they have a lot of bakeware also the Plastic Box has bakeware stuff as well. Just 2 places I have used, other than the obvious.

ange164, Jun 1, 8:42am
And if you're very desperate; cut the top and the bottom out of a tin can and use that.

nauru, Jun 2, 5:46am
Stevens do a boxed set of plastic ones for around $7-$10, I think there are 6 different sized ones, they come in different shapes too.I bought them to use to make small pies

gardie, Jun 2, 6:29am
Cutters work well provided you do just one 'cut' and do not twist them - a straight down and up means the edges are clean cuts and therefore they rise ok.

gardie, Jun 2, 6:29am
Cutters work well provided you do just one 'cut' and do not twist them - a straight down and up means the edges are clean cuts and therefore they rise ok.Edited to add that I saw someone make them on telly and then just cut into squares - one press of the knife, no sawing, then gently patted the scones into rounds.It was quite a moist mix and they turned out beautifully.

southerngurl, Jun 2, 8:02am
Hubby uses a glass. seems to work

falcon-hell, Jun 2, 8:13am
thanks for that,cos i couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work.

whitehead., Jun 2, 9:24am
have you managed to find any yet i have some in one of my draws and i could put them up for you but with no photo just need the size

ngacooky, Jun 2, 9:11pm
have you not got a kitchen shop in your town!have you tired the warehouse!

moggie57, Jun 3, 4:45am
what size & shape r u after!
also is it a straight edge or fluted on u r after!

nannyn, Jun 12, 5:08am
yes just use a glass

kinna54, Jun 13, 4:57am
I always use a glass for scones.but have bought awesome cutters (go for metal) at the $2 shop, or asian stores (uncle Bill's) and have an awesomeginger bread man cutter bought from plastic box.

nik12, Jun 13, 1:37pm
So you 'cutter' people :-), do you squish the leftovers together and keep cutting!
My scones, I push the dough into a rectangle and cut with a knife, so they are squares or rectangles, but all the dough is used at once.
I've seen nice round one's and often wondered - over worked scones and all that :-)

cookessentials, Jun 13, 6:52pm
I use all left overs. I only make buttermilk scones now and they always remain light, soft and fluffy, they are even good the next day.