Malt Loaf

nauru, May 27, 5:28am
Has anyone got a recipe for Malt Loaf. Anyone of Pommy origin out there will know the type I mean. A sticky bread, with raisins in it and made without yeast.

cookessentials, May 27, 6:11am
I am pretty sure I have Mum's recipe, it was always a favourite in my childhood ( Mum Is from Yorkshire)

pam.delilah, May 27, 7:28am
here are two recipes, yummy
malt loaf
4 cups self raising flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons any dried fruit
2 tablespoons malt extract
1 tablespoon warmed golden syrup
145mlsmilk
145mls water
Put the milk, water, syrup and malt into a pan and warm.
Remove from the heat.
Sieve the flour and salt into a large basin and stir in the fruit and sugar.
Add the liquid and beat well.
Put the mixture into a greased loaf tin and bake at 150 degrees C for 1 hour.

Malt Loaf

75mlstrong hot tea
8 tbsp malt extract
175g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp mixed spice
150g mixed fruit
1 egg

1) Preheat oven to 140oc. Line aloaf tin with baking parchment. Mix malt extract and tea, then allow to cool

2)Mix all ingredients together, including malty tea and pour into tin. Bake for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours. Stand for 10 min before slicing.

lindylambchops1, May 27, 9:52am
My mother was also a Yorkshire Lass. Here is a recipe from a book that I have inherited, that was sent to her from her relatives.
Malt Loaf
2oz cooking fat of margarine, 4oz golden syrup, 4oz malt, 4 tbsp milk, 8 oz self raising flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 4oz sultanas, 1 egg. Grease 2lb loaf tin and line with greased paper. Melt fat in saucepan and stir in syrup, malt and milk, warm. Pour flour, salt and fruit into bowl and stir in warmed ingredients and whisked egg. Beat thoroughly. Pour into prepared tin and bake for 1&1/4 hours at 325F. After 20 minutes cover with foil to prevent loaf from over browning. Turn onto a rack to cool. Serve sliced and buttered. This loaf improves with keeping, leave unwrapped in aritight tin

kennymac (567 )2:24 pm, Tue 14 Jun #35

nauru, May 29, 7:20am
Thanks everyone for your kind help.I will try all the recipes one by one and see which one I like best.

nauru, May 30, 1:57am
I have just made pam.delilha's 2nd recipe with the tea. Very nice flavour and texture, love it. The outside of the loaf is crisp so does it go more sticky if left a few days!

spotswood, Jun 1, 3:19am
Do you use the maltexo for the malt ingredient!

nauru, Jun 1, 8:00am
Yes, I used Maltexo!
I squirreled half my loaf away for a couple of days and yes, it has gone sticky and is so good. It tastes just like the ones I used to buy in the UK.

bambi58, Jun 1, 11:29am
This sounds very like the gingerbread recipes - leave for a few days and they go lovely & sticky!
I'm definitely going to have a go at the recipe with tea - looks easy & yummy!

nauru, Jun 2, 5:40am
Yes, I use an AWW ginger cake recipe and it is just like the UK's McVities Jamaican Ginger cake, very moist & gingery.

gardie, Jun 2, 6:08pm
Hmmm Maltexo.We used to line up - all 6 kids in a row for our dessertspoon of Maltexo every morning. (To make us healthy was the explanation!) I can still taste it now!Love the sounds of these recipes - I might have to go find some.Will be interesting to read what is actually inside - heaps of sugar I'm imagining!

sabra_1, Jun 4, 7:32am
Where did you get maltexo my local Pak n Save doesn't stock it anymore
:(