Non-meat mains to have with mash?

kitty1983, Mar 4, 12:43pm
hi all,
i love mash potato but i'm not big on meat; trying to come up with a healthy main to have it with so that i'm not eating mash potato on its own lol

frances1266, Mar 4, 6:14pm
A veg shepherds pie made with kidney beans or lentils is perfect for mashed potatoIt is yummy.Alison Holst has a good recipe in her veg book and I think it is online somewhere.Have you tried tvp or seitan.They are ideal as well.
Google for recipes.

kassie48, Mar 4, 7:27pm
Tin spaghetti or baked beans. Into a casserole dish, cover with mashed potato, top with grated cheese & bacon bits.
Finish off under the grill so cheese turns slightly brown.

olwen, Mar 4, 7:39pm
Do you eat fish!Fish pie topped with mash is yummy

zappi, Mar 4, 8:48pm
Have a look on the Sanitarium website.There is loads of vegetarian recipes on there.Have tried a few and really nice.The curried lentil lasagne is a hit in our house.The tomato base could be used for shepherds pie or with nachos.Worth a look.

zappi, Mar 4, 8:50pm
There was a recipe on here the other day which we tried.Cant remember who put it up on the message board.It was 4 medium potatoes cooked and sliced. Whilst they are cooking you cut up and cook a diced onion and 3 cloves of garlic and add 1 tin of baked beans, 1 tin of chillie beans, and 1 tin of tomatoes and cook thru.Layer potato then tomato etc finishing with tomato layer.I sprinkled cheese over the top and another time had fresh bread crumbs mixed with the cheese to give a crunchier topping,could also be used for nachos.

ruby2shoes, Mar 4, 9:21pm
yep, Alison and Simon Holst have fab vegetarian recipes.The shepherds pie with kidney beans is delicious.Also,their carrot and mushroom loaf, YUM!

ruby2shoes, Mar 4, 9:22pm
and for fish pie, use the Edmonds cook book one.

seano7, Mar 4, 9:25pm
make a vege strog with carrots celery red onions sour cream paprika and marmite. first sautee the onions carrots and celery and garlic salt and peper to taste add your paprika and cook out for three mins or till the smell of the paprika is very strong. Add your sour cream lots or cream reduce for one minute and enjoy with your mash

ruby19, Mar 4, 10:55pm
I make vegetarian chilli, mushroom stroganoff, mushroom bouginion (sp)
Which would all be good served with mash. The recipes are all in the vegetarian recipes thread

kitty1983, Mar 10, 12:44pm
thanks all! :D

margyr, Mar 10, 8:16pm
I know this is not a main but could be something different to do with your mashed spud.
Sally Lunn"
3/4 cup sugar,
1 cup of cold mashed potatoes,
pinch of salt,
2 cups flour,
2 teaps baking powder,
1/2 cup of sultanas,
about 1/4 cup milk.
Cream sugar & potato together thoroughly. Sift flour, salt & Baking powder together and add to potato mixture beating well, stir in sultanas, add sufficient milk to mix to a smooth dough.
Form into round cake and place on greased try. Bake at 180c for 25 to 30 mins.
Ice when cold with pink icing and sprinkle over with coloured sprinkles.

tinabops (248 )11:01 am, Sat 10 Mar #2

gail1231, Mar 11, 12:24pm
I have a recipeand its an Alison Holst one its he potato pancake recipe. My children love it when I make it because I add extras into it. but here is a bit about it then the recipe follows. Potato pancakes seem especially popular with children - they enjoy their texture and mild flavor.
Because the potato browns on prolonged standing, do not mix the batter until you plan to cook it. If you like you can mix the first six ingredients in a bowl and add the potato and flour just before cooking. In this recipe the potato is grated straight into the bowl, and is not squeezed first. If the mixture seems a little wet, add 2-3 tablespoons of extra flour. This will depend on the potatoes used.

For a serving for 6.

2 eggs unbeaten
2 Tbls Milk
1 onion, Very finely chopped
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp celery salt
500 gms raw potatoes
1/4 cup Flour
oil

In a basin mix the eggs,milk,onion,and seasonings. Stir with a fork until mixed. Just before cooking, grate the scrubbed (or thinly peeled) potatoes into the mixture and add the flour. If Wholemeal flour is used, increase the quantity slightly. Fry spoonfuls of the mixture in oil about 5mm deep for 3 mins each side, until golden brown. If the cooking time is too short, the potato will not be cooked in the center.
Serve alone, or with tomatoes or mushrooms. I have added other things to this recipe like frozen peas or Mixed veges or leftover veges

willyow, Mar 11, 8:02pm
Smoked fish in a white sauce with a little cheese -a little chopped parsley - easy as, andyummy