Tomato relish

uli, Feb 5, 3:44am
bump for kirmag

roshu, Mar 18, 8:09pm
Nice simple recipe for me please.

rainrain1, Mar 18, 8:30pm
You won't get much simpler than this.no peeling of the tomatoes, and no leaving overnight, just bung all in pan and away you go

Tomato Relish

4lb tomatoes
1lb sugar
1 Tblsp salt
1/2 Tblsp curry powder
1+1/2 lb onions
1 pint malt vinegar
1 tsp mustard
Cut onions and tomatoes, place all in pot and boil 1 hour
Thicken with 2 Tblsp flour, put into jars and seal while hot

korbo, Mar 18, 9:26pm
to add, I do peel my tomatoes, and add 1 teaspoon or 2 of curry powder.
Otherwise much the same. yummmmmmmy

niffer13, Mar 18, 9:58pm
I just made some yesterday same amount of tomatoes but 2 tablespoons curry & 3 tsp mustard. I skin tomatoes & put thru kitchen whiz before I cook so that mine becomes very tasty sauce. [I think they need to be skinned for sauce]

mwood, Mar 18, 11:01pm
This year the tomatoes are slower to ripen which means a thicker skin - best to knick out the stem bit and pour boiling water over them in a bowl and skin them first.

rainrain1, Mar 19, 1:35am
The recipe is very dam good without skinning the tomatoes, I have other recipes where I skin them, but never when I make the one I posted above.Good recipe to have ;-)

donna_jo29, Mar 19, 3:01am
about 8-10 green tomatoes, and 2 onions, diced. sprinkle 2 tbspns salt over them toss, leave over night. get rid of water.
in a pot add 1 cup of sugar 1 cup of vinegar half a tspn of chilli powder, boil for one hour. medium always stirring now and then.
when thick,
add then half tspn of mustard, half tspn curry tspn of flour and tbspn of vinegar. for thickeningI have made two of these this week.

donna_jo29, Mar 19, 3:22am
forgot to add half a cup of sultanas to the pot.

donna_jo29, Mar 19, 3:24am
hi again sorry about the deleted messages was a bit lost with the editing trying to add the sultanas

roshu, Mar 19, 4:02am
Thanks.
*Rattles the pans

korbo, Mar 19, 7:43am
donna_jo, did you find the colour of your green relish a bit kinda mustard colour. Mine was,so i put a few drops of green food colouring and now have a lovely dark green colour. similar to shop bought stuff.
just a thought.

iman007, Mar 19, 7:50am
ive had about 4 goes at making relish, im nil, gunna try this one and see, thanks bud

donna_jo29, Mar 19, 11:19am
Hi no it went brown with all of the sultanas in it,

rainrain1, Mar 19, 7:27pm
Chop your onion and tomato into small pieces, and just have it simmering on a low heat once boiling, stirring on occasion to make sure it doesn't stick,Sometimes if it looks too lumpy towards the end of boiling I get out my faithful old potato masher and give it a bit of whato the diddlleo!Be careful if you do that, as you don't want it to splash up and burn your pretty face