Tomato Soup - with Celery Seed

darkestangel1, Mar 23, 6:41am
My mum used to make the best tomato soup - and all I can remember about it other than how wonderful it tasted was that it had celery seeds in it.If you can help with a recipe for this - I would be most grateful for any suggestions or links at all.

korbo, Mar 23, 7:17am
7kg of tomatoes(5kg if they are really big ones) dont skin them.
5 large onions-skinned and chopped
500gm butter
2cups sugar
2 cups water
2 teaspn curry powder
2 teaspn celery seeds
1 tblesp plain salt.
couple of chopped leaves of basil (optional)
handful chopped parsley.
I put all ingred in large pres pan, bring to boil, stir often so it doesnt catch, simmer for 2 hrs. Mouli.and then as I cant screw jar lids.
I let it cool, and freeze in containers.

susieq9, Mar 23, 10:04pm
This one has celery salt, not seeds. I make it every year and freeze into containers when cold.
6kg tomatoes, 2tblsp celery salt, 1 tblsp chopped parsley, 1 small cup sugar, 2tsp black pepper, 1 tblsp salt, 7 whole cloves.
Boil all this for approx. 30 minutes or until tomatoes are soft.
Strain though mouly. (I just whizz it up in the kitchen whizz and then strain through a strainer). When cold into containers and freeze. Very easy and tasty.

evorotorua, Jun 1, 10:46pm
Other ideas!

evorotorua, Jun 1, 10:47pm
Hmm, bumping an old thread was no where near as fun as I thought it might have been. Maybe I just have better things to do. As you were! PS. Those recipes sound pretty good though. I hope the OP has tried them.

usaherewecome, Jun 3, 5:48am
I chop up two or three onions and fry in some butter with garlic, As much as you like for the taste. Then add in 5 tins of chopped tomatoes, Some chopped basil and as much celery seeds as you like for flavour and water. If I add to much water.I just throw in more tins of tomatoes. Salt and pepper it and serve hot with cheese scones. Easy and cheap to make!

dollmakernz, Jun 6, 11:56am
This is my mother in law's recipe that I make and it's beautiful!
I freeze the tomatoes first then quickly run each one under cold water and the skin wipes off.

Tomato Soup
14lb tomatos, 7 onions, 2c sugar, 7 bay leaves, 1tsp pepper,
14 sprigs parsley, ½lb butter, 1oz celery seed, 8Tbsp flour, 2Tbsp salt
Tie spices in a muslin bag. Boil all except the flour and butter till soft.
Remove spice bag and either puree in a blender/food processor or rub through a sieve.
Melt butter and add flour and mix until smooth. Add to puree and slowly boil for 5minutes. And finally bottle
When using, add an equal amount of water, stock or milk.

guest, Apr 6, 8:45am
vqq5jR smhqkgmqduzh