Celery

glynsmum, Sep 10, 10:48pm
Can any one tell me how to keep celery crisp I've tried standing in water,putting in fridge,but within a day its' limp? please!

wasgonna, Sep 10, 11:52pm
Good question. If they came from the supermarket I should imagine they've already been in cool storage so aren't going to last anyway.

buzzy110, Sep 11, 12:30am
As per the instructions when I got very first fridge all those years ago with vegetable bins I stick all my vegetables in separate plastic bags, roughly fold the opening over and put into the vegetable bins. My celery, and everything else stays crisp and lasts a reasonable length of time before showing signs of 'too old' or before starting to 'rot'.

I also find that broccoli and cauliflower stay fresh and plump a bit longer if you retain some of their leaves and as much of the base as is reasonable. I cut some of the base off every time I take flowerets off. For celery, which usually has the root cut off it is a little harder because usually it is too long for the bins and has to be cut down. I try and retain some of the leaves anyway.

The reason I do this is because I have noticed that vegetables go off at the ends first. So the stalk and leaves go off before the edible parts giving me a few more days.

kay141, Sep 11, 1:19am
Lately I have been trimming and cutting the celery into appropriate lengths, then tightly wrapping in a damp tea towel. This is placed into a sealed plastic bag and both leaves and stalks keep crisp for a month or more.

samsnan, Sep 11, 2:15am
Wrap it well in tin foil it keeps ages.

glynsmum, Sep 11, 2:55am
well thank you so much everyone, I used to love the root end on its on with a bit of salt,and thanks buzzy for the other helpful tips as veggies are so expensive it's a must in this house to it them all.best tip I had last year was to keep radishes in a bowl of water in the fridge they lasted soooo long.and i note it's a good thing to keep some leaves with it also.

rainrain1, Sep 11, 4:21am
I always cut the remaining celery into small pieces and freeze it, for soups, sauces, etc

nauru, Sep 11, 7:45am
This is what I do too, works well. I have some tupperware fridgesmart containers for my carrots, brocolli and cauli which are great, they keep them fresh for quite a long time. Any tips for keeping veges fresh is good , they are way too expensive to throw out these days.

camper18, Sep 12, 9:27am
Tinfoil works well for all greens.

paora-tm, Sep 13, 7:55am
I just bung it uncovered in the fridge veggie bin. I think some fridges keep it better than others though.

blueviking, Sep 13, 7:44pm
Cut it to length and put it in an airtight container. Should last a couple of weeks. I've just bought one so will see.

lazkaz, Sep 26, 6:58am
I have kept my celery end in a cup and its growing will plant it soon.

I cut the bottom off and cut it up wash and dry then wrap with paper towels and keep in veg bin in fridge. I use the leaves as well. Love celery and so expensive at times.

trah, Sep 27, 7:38am
Another vote for wrapping in tinfoil. Only learned this recently, and wish I had known it before!

kiwiscrapper1, Sep 27, 8:49am
yes :-)

petal1955, Dec 21, 3:46pm
I'm with you on this one. keeps forever