Is there a particular meal you eat every week?

Page 2 / 2
sarahb5, May 14, 12:12am
Given the choice my kids would eat pies or chicken nuggets every night - I just don't give them the choice.I replaced chicken nuggets with fresh chicken coated in breadcrumbs so I knew what they were eating.Pies are homemade chicken or whatever else I find a recipe for.I like to know what we're eating and you can't do that with processed/premade products.We have sausages maybe once a fortnight.When my kids were younger they would eat pretty much anything made with mince because it didn't require much effort to eat so I started with basic spag bol and gradually added more interesting foods.Kids will eat if they are hungry - I know that's easy to say but in reality it's true.Once you're over 5 it's strictly eat it or starve in our house and everyone eats the same - I don't have the time, patience or inclination to cook different meals for different family members.

maynard9, May 14, 1:26am
Absolutely not - that is how my Mum cooked (bless her) and I swore I would never do it to my husband or children.I hated how I could tell what day of the week it was by what was on the plate.
Even before I met the love of my life I was collecting recipes and now after 31 years of marriage I frequently say I will never live long enough to use all my cut out recipes or collection of books.
We recently had the youngest and his fiance living with us before moving to England to live so I said he could chose all his favourite meals - and baking for the 2 months they were here.We ran out of time to do them all.He got my future DIL to copy heaps onto their laptop too to use themselves.
It was good to go through some old recipes actually as I had forgotten about them and how nice they were.
I love cooking/baking but think this is because I am always doing different things.I think I would soon get bored with repetitive productions.I am lucky that both hubby and sons were just as eager to eat them.

beaker59, May 14, 1:33am
I do a mixture of vegetables in cheese sauce about once a week on average. the mix depending on whats in the garden or shops at the time but usually start with potatoes and carrots and about 3 orothers. Served with a steak or chops or piece of chicken.

sarahb5, May 14, 1:55am
That's how my husband's family used to eat as well - his mum didn't like cooking and none of them were particularly interested in the social aspect of food which was completely opposite to how things were in my own family where we could and did happily sit around the table for ages eating and talking - they were very much eat and run, eat for fuel but not for enjoyment.My kids might not always like what I cook but at least they'll never get bored - and if they don't like it they are welcome to cook their own!

antoniab, May 14, 4:48am
Yep same here :)

kassie48, May 14, 5:49am
Sounds like when we went for tea at the ex m.i.l, we knew what we would be eating on the night we went. no set meals, but sometimes we seem to to have 'easier' meals one week then roast etc the next. Would be boring for me if we followed a set menu each week.
#27 & 29 just read. Must have been how they cooked in them olden days!

rainrain1, May 14, 6:17am
man must have his mutton chops

ruby19, May 14, 7:46pm
We don't have set menus, but find the "list" is what family like, and can get whipped up easily. I have files of printed off recipes that I regularly use, and always am on the look out for new recipes.

korbo, May 14, 8:12pm
when i was living at home, every friday night, was saveloys, mashed spud, and sally lunn.

jackiechan3, May 14, 8:32pm
i liked pumpkin mashed up with cottage cheese, red kidney beans and more cheese in a wrap it taste lovely