Meal ideas for large group of people?

scannell2, May 15, 3:33am
hello we will be having a group of 10 adults staying for a week for a family wedding. our kitchen isnt very big and its going to be the middle of winter so bbq-ing not really an option. does anyone have any ideas of meals that are easy to prepare or that can be prepared and frozen so meal times are not a disater! i have thought of lasagne, mac cheese, curry, chow mein, fish pie. also i dont want to give them too many stodgy meals as it is a wedding so kinda a celebration too. thanks so much for any help

duckmoon, May 15, 3:46am
one night I would plan takeaways

and one night supermarket chicken, coleslaw and rolls.

Your BBQ isn't avaiable but think about what othe applicances you have (or could borrow) - it would be a great week to through a cassorole into the crockpot and rice into the rice cooker

rrrg, May 15, 3:52am
Pasta sauce - can be frozen, pizzas - prepare bases fun to make in a group,

davidt4, May 15, 3:59am
Have you got a big slow-cooker!It would be easy to adapt some French casserole dishes such as Boeuf Bourguignon or Coq au Vin, which wouldn't be stodgy.

tramore, May 15, 4:02am
Try self crusting quiches.they are simple with a salad!Or how about a lovely thick vege soup and fresh hot rolls then a simple dessert.

scannell2, May 15, 4:04am
great other ideas there thanks people just what i needed

duckmoon, May 15, 4:12am
hot ham off the bone

sarahb5, May 15, 4:18am
Anything that can be frozen and prepared in advance is good - butter chicken, chilli con carne, casserole, chowder, bacon and egg pie .

beaker59, May 15, 4:40am
We have a fairly large home so regularly get up to 10 staying and 20 for dinner isn't that uncommon. I find large stews good as can be prepared well ahead and left to simmer on very low heat all day boiled potatoes and veges in the pot makes for a two pot meal which everyone enjoys.

But my main standby is roasts the bigger the better IMO (I know its a big outlay but in our family everyone chips in and one family member usually brings a large roast or two from thier home kill) recent ones I have done are a whole rump, a forequarter of mutton, half a forequarter of pork, then a wild pork whole shoulder sometimes I do in oven and sometimes in Kettle BBQ. Beauty of roasts is it leaves your stovetop free for veges.

Desserts are things like slow cooker tapioca and Ice cream or someone will bring a Cake or some stewed fruit(the Kiwi icecream factory is not far away and I get thier seconds 2L for 2 bucks :)

Great thing about these times is the Kitchen fun as everyone pitches in to help. Love having a dishwasher though.

delate, May 15, 4:46am
Boil up YUM. Bacon Bone Soup. Stew. Curried Sausages. Apricot Chicken with rice.

duckmoon, May 15, 5:08am
when are they coming.
I would make up three dishes of double quanty and put them in the freezer.

which means that for three night of your week, i you are only reheating and cooking carbs.

poppy62, May 15, 5:42am
I did a fab meal a few weeks ago - it was middle eastern inspired.I made several different dips and sides - roast garlic hummus, tabouleh, feta cheese dip, salsa, cucumber/yogurt mix.Oh and cheese spinach filo triangles.Then a big plate of israeli couscous and vege.The I roasted lemon/ garlic marinated lamb and chicken on hot coals for a few hours.All the dips etc were prepared well ahead of time and all I had to worry about was the meat.Plonked some different types of breads on the table and hey presto.Really yum!

kiwi_music_29, May 15, 6:15am
depending on your budget this is a really easy and quick light meal

https://www.curtisstone.com/Recipes/Mains/Steamed-Mussels-with-Chorizo-and-White-Wine.aspx

could have a few starters/cheese/crackers/meats-
and serve this as a light main perhaps

cgvl, May 15, 7:09am
soup and scones always goes down well in winter in our house and yes 8 was normal for breakfast, 10 or more was usual for dinner and once we married its not unusual to have 20 to feed for a meal.
2 chickens will easily feed 10 people and if done properly you can have some left over for lunch next day. ie take all the meat off the bone and put some aside for next day.
Corned beef hot one night cold for lunch or dinner next night.
A hearty casserole another night.
Fish pie or kedgeree is good too, as is Mac cheese.
A potato bake or even do baked potatoes, fill them with say a nacho mix, sour cream and cheese, instead of nacho chips. A big pile of chips or wedges with bacon, sour cream and a chilli dipping sauce and a salad.

Oh and burgers go down well with a crowd too, have bowls with beetroot, lettuce or coleslaw, cheese, tomato and cooked onion in them and a pile of buns and patties and let everyone make their own.

darlingmole, May 15, 9:01am
paknsave has beef bolar roasts on special this week (really big ones) - would be good with gravy, rolls and coleslaw

eatkin, May 19, 9:26am
We still use the bbq in winter. just get hubby to rug up a bit. Serve meat done on bbq with salads, roast veges and garlic bread. done and dusted.

unknowndisorder, Aug 4, 8:48pm
Bump for ideas for fundraiser dinner

chooky, Aug 4, 8:56pm
Yes we still use our bbque in winter too, just wheel into garage, we also do our roast veges on it if have visitors, saves the dishes and mess in my very small kitchen.