Learning to cook (meals from scratch) PLEASE HELP

Page 2 / 2
vampiriousmist, May 8, 3:27am
Edmonds flatters cookbook is great too. Has lots of cheap easy meals for a budget :) Id also recommend the normal edmonds. Out of the 25 I have, I use my edmonds the most !

gaspodetwd, May 8, 7:00am
Learn to cook a couple of meals that everyone likes.
I suggest cottage pie and roast chicken.
Lessons I learnt- garlic, butter, fresh herbs and cream, black pepper make everything taste good! Don't be afraid to use herbs - and keep a note of what you like.
Then Learn how to make a basic roux sauce from scratch - its easy and once you have made a few you will wonder why you ever bought a packet mix. It can be used for fish pie, chicken pie, cauliflower cheese, vege bake, souffle.

jimmy500hp, May 8, 9:11am
You guys are awesome. Im going to look at all the web sights and threads and writing all advice down lol.i didnt know gore high had classes. itrs a bit out of our budget at the moment but will look into it for later. Im off to the sally shop tomorrow to try and find some of the books and will keep you posted on how I get on and what my tribe think once ive made them. Thanks again

coast_palms, May 8, 9:20am
Australian womens weekly cookbook series are a really good starter. Good advice to go with those.

you can ususally pick them up at flea markets these days for 50 cents, as they are slightly out of fashion.

tuscany9, May 8, 9:47am
Easiest recipe in the world.And it's Alison Holsts Easy Lasagne.
One onion chopped
350 - 500 gr mince
Tin Watties tomato pasta sauce
Half cup water
Mix together, layer in dish, meat, dry pasta, meat, cover with tinfoil.
Cook 180 for 45 minutes.Take out of oven and remove tinfoil.
Mix 1 egg, half cup milk, half cup gratedcheese and pour over dish.
Put back into oven with NO TINFOIL 15 - 20 minutes.Can't go wrong.

kob, May 8, 6:01pm
Jimmy 500 there are two threads that I have started and maintained for about 8 years one is called'''Who needs a budget.ME"" that has great budgeting tips and cost effective recipes, and also menu planing as well, its quite a big thread so give your self some time, but you are able to print off sections, and quite a few people had asked me over the years how to make their $80-$100 stretch to feedtheir family so the advise is all there, just look and find it, also the second thread thats heres is '' Ive just done this weeks baking- what did you make'' that gives you every baking recipe you can ever think off and will help you on your budget quest as you wont ever have to pick up a cooking book.if I can be furthur help just ask a question in either thread and I will get to it next time im on trademe.

hmck, May 8, 7:52pm
There is a new book out (can't remember the author sorry) called "Help there's a stove in my kitchen".Good basic cooking you can add to later as you get confidence.Good luck - I was the same as you and now I love cooking and playign aroudn with new tastes.By the way - I did phone put for pizza quite often when I was learning - don't give up if you have a few failures!

bexcyboo15, May 10, 5:22am
Spaghetti Bolognaise
500 g lean beef mince
1 Tbsp oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
Salt and pepper
Spaghetti bolongnaise tin mix
400 g dried spaghetti

Fry the mince, onion salt and pepper and mix, till brown and thick,
put spaghetti in a pot with hot water, a little oil and salt, cook for 20 mins or till soft,
chuck it on a plate and its done :)

Yummy and cheap!

HamBurgers
500g mince
1/2 Onion
Bread crumbs
Tomartoe sauce and any other sauce you mayt like
salt and pepper
1 egg
Buns and lettuce tomartoes and anything elce you like in them.

mix in mince ,onion, sauces, salt n pepper, bread crumbs and egg into a thick mixture and make them into patties, fry on a low heat till cooked and then put them in the bun and add whatever you want elce in it

Cassarol
Stewing steak
onions
gravy mix
potatoes
corrots
salt and pepper

get a large bot and chuck all the ingredients in, and put in some water till coverd
and mix, then leave to simmer till you want it and its cooked :)

kinna54, May 10, 5:39am
Start with the basics: yep Edmonds is good, taught a lot of us how to do the basic steps, and gave time guides etc which I still use *(but get an older version*), Alison Holst is also good and basic,: suggest you go to the library (you would be surprised at the huge range), if using recipes off the net make sure they are tried and true, and have basic ingredients, check out the comments.
Using a search factor on here helps, and I only post what I have tried and has been successful.

pickles7, May 10, 5:47am
I feel a learner has a better chance watching, you do have the replay or pause options. I am very impressed how Jamie extends so much energy to teach young kids a few skills in the kitchen, that will last a life time.

sew.obsessed, May 10, 5:50am
My sons have a Destitute Gourmet book each. Written by Sophie Gray. From her website: "Budget cooking, cheap recipes, shoestring shopping, frugal food…
Spend less on groceries and enjoy better tasting, easy to prepare meals your friends and family will love."
I can recommend her '100+ Tasty $10 Meals'.

kob, May 10, 6:54am
after my boys left home I spent a year photograping every meal I made and then compiled a recipe book for each of them which full recipes and pictures of all the meals they had grown up on, and how from scratch they could make them, they use them all the time, and they have both become really good cooks, and enjoys making their favourite meals they have had since they were kids

pickles7, May 10, 7:08am

davicija, May 10, 8:20am
very lucky children, wish someone had done that for me :)

baalamb, May 10, 9:07am
Don't forget to check out the cookbooks in your local library. If you are really lacking in confidence, have a look at the kids cookbooks - I've been surprised at the choices in some of these.

punkinthefirst, May 11, 12:36am
There are a fewMETHODS of cooking - braising, grilling, deep and shallow frying, poaching, stewing, baking, roasting, steaming, etc., etc. The trick is to learn which foods are best cooked by which methods, then play with the ingredients you add to the dish.Some herbs go with some produce better than others (basil with tomatoes, for instance). Try out various ingredients, one at a time - if something doesn't work, leave it out next time. Taste, taste, taste! Learn to make a good, basic sauce (gravy, roux, jus, etc.). Use fresh, in-season produce - it's always tastier and cheaper. Cheap meat is sometimes a bit fattier, but may be tougher than the expensive stuff. If it is a fatty stewing or braising cut, trim the visible fat off and cook it the day before, so you can skim the fat off easily. If it is a tougher cut it will need a long, slow, moist cooking method. You'll be making up your own recipes in no time. Happy cooking!

griffo4, May 11, 1:12am
l would also add reading threads on here you pick up so many tips and tricks l have learnt so much from here and l have extended my repertoire but don't be afraid of making mistakes because that is how we learn and if you do have a mistake just jump on here and ask for a way to make it into a success
There are some really clever people on here who love to help

You have already made the first step so it is onwards and upwards from here and look forward to hearing your progress

kob, May 11, 1:20am
ok I jsut re read your first post, im assuming that because you already cook for abig family that you do ahve the knowledge to be an orsum cook, but if your trying to eliminate packet foods from yourbudget thats easy.
For example take a lasagne mix you fry your mince add water and the sachet SO now you will add 2 chopped onions to a hot oiled pan, add 2 cloves of garlic garlic then add 1kg ofmince and brown, then add two tins of budget tomatoes and once 410gram tin of tomato puree add a good teaspoon of all these, salt, pepper, sweet basil and some parsley. In a seperate saucepan add 100 grams of butter, when it melts add 2 tablespoons of normal flour and keep stirring it, add 1 cup of milk and stir till it goes smooth and thick then add 2 more cups of milk add S&P, keep stirring till it goes smooth and thick then add 2 cups of grated cheese, boil your pasta thats easy to make too if you dont want to buy it, then layer your dish mince then noodles then some grated cheese and again mince, noodles ,and then pour over your cheese sauce then over the top of it add more grated cheese and a sprinkling of paprika, and bake for 45 minutes. You will find a cost difference from packet mixes to fresh but its worth it in the long run

boots9, May 11, 1:51am
Im going to break the trend here. I suggest you first learn how to prepare and cook vegetables. Then learn how to prepare and cook a basic meat. Once you have mastered the Meat and 3 vege, you wont find it to difficult to move foward from there by adding a little herd or seasoning here, or putting your veges with eggs and making a quiche

whiskey13, May 11, 2:02am
When i first starting cooking (many years ago), i had no-one to teach me. I left home at 18 cos i had a job to go to, moving from Twizel to Christchurch and boarded with my sister. She tried to teach me but her idea of cooking was boiling mince and having it on toast. YUK. I only lasted 18 months with her then i went flatting on my own (best thing I'd ever done lol)
The Edmond's Cook Book and a slow cooker using Alison Hoist slow cooker book were (and still are)invaluable to a (not very good) cook.
I don't know if any one above has mentioned using a slow cooker but it is a god sent.

schnauzer11, May 11, 9:45am
Plenty of good advice here,Jimmy.Good on you,and,enjoy!